Matching family tree profiles for Letitia (Lettice) Ball
About Letitia (Lettice) Ball
There are two women named Lettice Lee Ball. This one is the daughter of Richard Lee and Judith Steptoe. She married Col. James Ball as his third wife. There are sources that get the two Lettice Lee Balls confused but see Edmund Jennings Lee, page 135, for a primary source (Henry Lee's will) for the husband of his daughter Lettice, the OTHER Lettice Lee Ball, who was William Ball.
Children of Col. James Ball and Lettice Lee (need to be verified):
- Judith m first Nov 3 1772 Leroy Griffin second John Fauntleroy of Richmond Co Va who served as a Burgess son of Col William and Peggy Murdock Fauntleroy and had issue
- James Jr. b Feb 20 1755. Married Frances Downman.
- Anne b 1757 m May 31 1779 James Wallace Ball of Lancaster Co Va a Vestryman of Christ Church 1784 and Warden he was Justice 1781 and of the House of Delegates 1788 91 son of Richard and Mary Wallace Ball and had issue
- Sarah b 1760 m 1780 Robert Fauntleroy of Lancaster Co Va son of Col William and Peggy Murdock Fauntleroy and had issue
- Frances m George Lee son of Kendall and Betty Heale Lee and had issue
"Of this Mrs. Ball, Miss Julia R. Downman wrote: 'I have heard my parents and others speak of her 'as old Mrs. Ball who lived at Bewdley.' After her son James' marriage she gave up the house to them, and took as her rooms a wing of the house (long since pulled down), where my father and mother will remember going in to see her whenever they went to Bewdley. She had her own servants, and superintended their needlework and spinningt, work that was considered of great importance in that day. I known that old Mrs. Ball's mother was a Miss Steptoe. I have often seen a very handsome portrait of her, said to have been painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds, and which was cut out of the frame and carried off curing the last war.'" (Edmund Jennings Lee pp 335-336)
In memory of
[drawing of a willow tree in between two vertical tombstones]
3d wife of
Colonel James Ball,
Richard Lee of Ditchley
Died Nov'r 17th 1811,
in the 80th year of her age.
- Gravestone of Lettice Lee Ball with the name of her husband and father
- Lee of Virginia 1642-1892 edited by Edmund Jennings Lee, Heritage Books, 2008. Pages 534-536.
- Colonial families of the Southern states of America: a history and genealogy of colonial families who settled in the colonies prior to the revolution (Google eBook) by Stella Pickett Hardy. Wright, 1911. Page 35-36 BE CAREFUL AS THIS SOURCE MARRIES COL. JAMES BALL TO THE WRONG LETTICE LEE.
COL. JAMES BALL, (10—9), of "Bewdley," Lancaster Co., Va., b. Dec. 31, 1718; d. Nov. 24, 1789; served as a Vestryman of St. Stephen's Parish, Northumberland Co., 1744-89, and Warden in 1745; and Treasurer in 1785; was a Burgess from Lancaster, 1755; High Sheriff and of the Convention of 1788; Married (first) unknown; (second) Mildred , b. 1725; d. Dec. 1, 1751; (third) 1753, Letitia Lee, b. 1731; d.Nov. 17, 1811, dau. of Col. Henry and Mary (Bland) Lee, of "Lee Hall," Westmoreland Co., Va. (See Lee lineage.)
Letitia (Lettice) Ball's Timeline
Ditchley, Northumberland, Virginia, USA
February 20, 1755
Virginia, United States
November 17, 1811
White Chapel, Lancaster, Virginia, USA