Lewis Samuel Hills

Is your surname Hills?

Research the Hills family

Lewis Samuel Hills's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Lewis Samuel Hills

Birthdate: (79)
Birthplace: South Amherst, Hampshire County,, Massachusetts, USA
Death: Died in Holladay, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Place of Burial: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of Lewis Hills and Rhoda Hills
Husband of Theresa Hannah Hills
Father of Maria Theresa "Rie" Hills; Lewis Hills; Eugene Temple Hills; Edgar Samuel Hills; Herbert Thayer Hills and 1 other

Managed by: Della Dale Smith-Pistelli
Last Updated:

About Lewis Samuel Hills

Gilbert and Gerrish Freight Train (1862) Age at Departure: 26

Birth: Mar. 8, 1836, South Amherst, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, USA

Death: Jul. 21, 1915, Cottonwood, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA

Burial: Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Plot: PARK-12-1-1-E


Son of Lewis Hills and Rhoda Thayer; born March 8th 1836 at South Amherst, Mass., about half way from the "Green" to "Bay Road," on west side of road leading south from south east corner of "Green." Capt. Enos Dickinson was neighbor on south side. He was also guardian of my small estate (about $200.) left by my father. Lewis Hills (Sr) was son of Samuel Hills. Samuel Hills was son of John Hills. John Hills served through the war of Revolution from Connecticut, and returned home and died of small pox immediately thereafter, and was buried at rear of house in East Hampton Conn. Rhoda Thayer was daughter of John Thayer, who enlisted in the war of the Revolution from Braintree, Mass; he settled in Belchertown Mass., after the war, and received a pension until his death in 1834.

My father died April 11th 1836. My mother died Sept. 17th 1840. I have no recollection of my parents, except once seeing my mother laying in bed, (Probably when sick with consumption, shortly before her death), and also remember seeing her in the coffin after her death. I remember going to primary, or infants' school, in South Amherst before removing to Springfield. I recollect visiting some place before I went to Springfield in 1840, that my sister Julia told me later was our Grandfather Thayer's home in Belchertown, Mass. I have never seen any of my mother's relatives since. I called at Aunt Smith's house in Hadley once while enroute from Amherst to Northampton, but she was in Boston visiting one of her sons.

At my mother's death I was taken by my Uncle Samuel and Aunt Elizabeth Hills, and remained with them, at their home in Springfield, Mass., during my boyhood. I attended the public schools in Springfield going to the High School, Ariel Parish, Principal, about two years-1850 and 1851. While a boy I delivered newspapers on residence routes in Springfield, mostly for the "Republican," Samuel Bowles, Publisher, on what were known then as the "Depot" and "Hill" routes. Spent a month or two in Summer at South Amherst several times during my boyhood. Summer of 1852 was clerk in George Chandlers' grocery store on the "Hill" Springfield, Mass.; October 1st 1852 to September 3rd 1853 was clerk in Culter and Smith's grocery store, north side of State Street, near Main, Springfield Mass. Uncle Samuel Hills removed to Madison, Ohio, Spring of 1853, and I boarded with Mr. and Mrs. Baxter Allen on Spring Street, remainder of my stay in Springfield.

Uncle Samuel and Aunt Elizabeth had one son, Lewis, who died in infancy. Aunt Elizabeth Hills had a daughter by a former marriage, Mary Bracket,who married Charles DeForrest; she had one son, John B. DeForrest, born in Springfield; they removed to Madison, Ohio, soon after Uncle Samuel; Mary DeForrest afterward dying at Madison. The son, John B., is still living at Madison, (in 1905). Uncle Samuel and Aunt Elizabeth removed to San Jose, California, in 1873; afterwards removed to Salt Lake City, Utah and died here.

Uncle Hervey Hills also resided in Springfield, Mass., afterward removing to Davenport, Iowa. His wife, Aunt Sophia, died at Davenport in 1880, and he removed to Hartford, Conn., and died there in 1881. They had two sons, Henry H. and George F., both living in Hartford, Conn., in 1905. George F. has one son, George, residing in New York City. I also had one Aunt, Mary, who married Orson Goodake of South Amherst, Mass., both dying there; they had a very large family, and there are many of their descendants living in Amherst, Springfield, etc. My grandfather, Samuel Hills, resided in Springfield, Mass., until his death in 1842. Besides those heretofore named he had three daughters by his second wife; Jane Amelia, who married Frederick Richards, and died in Springfield in 1843; Anna, still living (1905) in Hartford, Conn; and Harriet, who married Jonathan F. Morris (President of the Charter Oak National Bank of Hartford, Conn.) My brother Oliver died in Springfield in 1846, the body being taken to South Amherst for burial.

My brother Harvey left Amherst and resided in Springfield for a year or two about 1849 or 1850, leaving there for Ohio, and later Iowa, about 1850 or 1851. My sister Julia removed to Springfield about 1840, making her home at Uncle Hervey's, and later with Aunt Anna. She was a clerk in Mr. Mann's store for some years. On October 15th, 1853, I left Springfield; stopped a few days visiting Uncle Samuel and Aunt Elizabeth at Madison, Ohio, arrived at Charlton, Iowa, Nov. 11th 1853, where my brother Harvey had preceded me by a year or two.

I traveled from Springfield to Genesee, Illinois, by rail, thence by stage to Rock Island, thence by boat to Burlington, Iowa, thence by stage to Albia, Iowa.

Owing to the lateness of the season the stage did not run from Albia to Chariton, the mail being carried on horseback, and I walked this distance, about thirty miles, in one day. My brother was part owner and manager of a store at Chariton, and I assisted him on the books and otherwise that winter.

The next Spring (1854) I removed to Burlington, Iowa, keeping books for the mercantile firm of D. Baum & Company. In July had the small pox, and the Baum & Co. store proving a failure, I returned to Chariton in August. The Armstrong family came to Chariton about this time, and my brother married Rachel Armstrong there Jan. 1st 1856.

Was clerk in the U.S. Land Office in Chariton until July 1855, when I started to go to a new town, Sioux City, where a land office was to be opened, a Mr. Yeomans of Chariton having been appointed Registrar. My brother Harvey took me with his own team to Council Bluff, where we learned that there was but one log cabin on the town site of Sioux City, and that the office could not open for some months. I got acquainted with the officers of the Land Office at Council Bluffs, and as they were very busy, at the request of Mr. Lysander W. Babbitt, the Registrar, I assisted them while awaiting for the Sioux City office to be ready. After a few weeks, Mr. Babbitt asked me to get released from my engagement with Mr. Yeomans and to take charge as Chief Clerk of the Council Bluffs office. Mr. Yeomans consented, and I have never seen Sioux City to this time. I remained in the land office, during the remainder of Mr. Babbitt's term of office, as well as the term of his successor, Mr. James Pollard, succeeding the latter as Registrar in 1859, being appointed by President James Buchanan. Was a member of the City Council of Council Bluffs for one year. My brother Harvey removed from Chariton, Iowa, to Nebraska, in 1856, soon after his marriage, and my sister Julia came from Springfield to live with them early in 1857, and I visited them several times a year while they resided there, going down by boat in the summer, and driving a team in the winter.

In the Spring of 1861 I removed to Nebraska City, and resided with Harvey and family until 1862. May 12th, 1862 Harvey, Rachel, with their two daughters, Lula and May, and myself, left Nebraska City, via Omaha, Nebraska, leaving Omaha May 17th. Were just ten weeks reaching Salt Lake City, Utah. We had seven teams; two of horses; three of mules, and two of oxen. I remained in Salt Lake City, Harvey and family going on to California, and afterwards to Oregon, where Sister Julia joined them, going by water, and the Isthmus of Panama.



Lewis Hills 1799 - 1836


Rhoda Thayer Hills 1801 - 1840



Theresa Hannah Burton Hills 1848 - 1924



Lewis Burton Hills 1867 - 1946


Maria Theresa Hills 1869 - 1956


Edgar Samuel Hills 1870 - 1958


Eugene Temple Hills 1873 - 1918


Herbert Thayer Hills 1876 - 1905


Harold Haven Hills 1884 - 1947

Created by: Nancy Hills Lamps Record added: Aug 28, 2009 Find A Grave Memorial# 41265605

view all

Lewis Samuel Hills's Timeline

March 8, 1836
South Amherst, Hampshire County,, Massachusetts, USA
September 4, 1867
Age 31
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
May 12, 1869
Age 33
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
December 16, 1870
Age 34
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
January 25, 1873
Age 36
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
November 12, 1876
Age 40
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA
October 9, 1884
Age 48
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
July 21, 1915
Age 79
Holladay, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Age 78
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA