Lieut. George Ingersoll

Is your surname Ingersoll?

Research the Ingersoll family

Lieut. George Ingersoll's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


George Ingersoll

Birthdate: (75)
Birthplace: Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
Death: Died in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
Place of Burial: Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of Richard Ingersoll and Ann Knight
Husband of Elizabeth Ingersoll and Anne Ingersoll
Father of "Unknown" Ingersoll; George Ingersoll, Jr.; Joanna Grant; John Ingersoll; Joseph Ingersoll and 4 others
Brother of Alice Wolcott; John Ingersoll; John Ingersoll; Joanna Pettingill; Sarah Holton and 5 others

Managed by: Christopher Garland
Last Updated:

About Lieut. George Ingersoll

died 1694 children George and Samuel.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the ..., Volume 4 By William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams PG.2631-2633

George INGERSOLL was born before 2 Jul 1618 in Sutton, Bedfordshire, England.7681 He was baptized on 2 Jul 1618 in Sutton, Bedfordshire, England.7681 He lived in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts in 1639. Given a grant of land. He lived in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts in 1652. He lived in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts in 1675. He died after Jun 1694 in , , Canada. He lived in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts in 1694. George Ingersoll became a prominent citizen. He had a chouse, and owned land in several places, which he sold and removed to Falmouth Maine. He was among the first settlers at Back Cove, Casco Bay, by June 25, 1657. He was a representitive to the General Court for Falmouth, 1657. He was a member of the first board of Selectmen of Falmouth.

1658: He bought 55 acres of land adjoining that of Thomas Skilling, March 25, 1658. He was a lieutenant in Falmouth, of the military force for protection against the Indians. He lived in a place called Capisic. During the attack of the savages in 1675, one son was killed and his house burned. He was the first to discover the murders of the Wakely family.

INDIAN WARS - Hubbard and Drake Vol 2. At Casco Bay, Lieut. Ingersolls son, with another man, going out a fowling about this time were both killed before they returned home, his fathers house being burned with many others also thereafter.

NEHGR 8:239 - Indian Killings. Lord's Day, Nov. 7, 1675. Met Lieutenant Ingersoll and 12 Casco men who came to join with our men to search out and fight the Indians. 25-27, Lt. Ingersoll, returned to Casco, sent a request for 45 soldiers at being alarmed that one houes was burning and a man wounded. Lt. Ingersoll returned to the garrison and settled for twenty men who went to Casco with him. On the 30th a Sergeant and company returned to the garrison.

His military talents and taste procured his promotion to the command of the militia company, an office he filled with much reputation to him self through the first indian war. He was driven from Falmouth by the Indian hostilities.

1680: He returned to Falmouth, Me., but there was another indian outbreak and he returned to Salem.

Early Land Conveyance: Boston Mass., 17 August 1681. For ye furtherance of the settlement and plantation of the inhabitants of North Yarmouth in Casco, Mr. George Pearson, Left Anthony Brackett and George Ingersoll Sr. are appointed a committee to entertain and allow of inhabitants to grant such allotments as shall be rite for ye encouragement and mete, accomodation being reserved for ye settling of a minister also that they are ordered to lay out ye town at least 80 families may be accomodated.

1683: Deputy to Provincial Assembly of Maine, 1683-85

1685: He deposed as about 67 years , concerning the clearing of land by Richard Corben 28 years before. Robert Corben took oath of allegiance to Mass. Bay govt. July 13, 1658. He cleared and possessed a meadow from about that time; "he was slain by the Indians in the late war." (Deposition of George Ingersoll, June 24, 1685.)

He is said to have been in the French and Indian war. 1689: Liet. George Ingersoll was also on the list: Falmouth, Nov 13, 1689. (Maine Hist. & Gen. Rec. 3, 1886). HRK comment: This may be the war of 1687-89, by which time he would have been close to 70 years old.

Before the second Indian War he removed to Salem, where he died, 1694, leaving two sons, George who was shipwrecked, and Samuel, who settled in Stroudwater. (Hist. of Maine. V. I)

HISTORY OF PORTLAND page 96-97 We find George Ingersoll here as early as 1657, but are not able to determine the period of his arrival; he was born in 1618, and was probably the son of Richard Ingersoll, a Bedfordshire man, who with his family was sent to Capt. Endicott, in Salem, by the Massachusetts Company in 1629. (see the company's letter in Hazard, vol. i. p. 279.) page 105 We meet with the names of George Ingersoll and Robert Corbin for the first time in 1657; in 1685, Ingersoll testified that about twenty-eight years since, Robert Corbin cleared a parcel of that meadow, called George Lewis's marsh, about eight or ten acres or therabouts, at the north end of said marsh"

Page 124 "To the Honorable General Courte now assembled at Boston, 30 May, 1660, the humble petition of some of the distressed inhabitants of Falmouth. "The humble desire of your poore petitioners hoping that you will take it into serious consideration, our present conditon that we stand in, in respecte, of the pretented patenes and clames that Mr. Robert Jordan and Mr. George Cleeves laies clame to, so that much trouble cometh to us, suing men to Cortes, as witnes the maney sutes and actions at Cortes anda re stil goen on against us and other tretened against, so taht we are much destracted in our afares and know not what we shall doe in thes our trobeles, only our prayers are to God and you, that you would be pleased to consider our condition and destractions that we are in, and that it will be the overthrow of thes hopeful beginenes that is amoung us. God began to answer our prayers, and to send us a faithful dispenser of the word to us, for which we desire to bles God for and we hope shall enjoy, if these destractions doe not discourage him , therefore our oumbell request is to this onered assemblies that you would be pleased to take into it consideratioin our present condition, for if that Mr. Jordan's paten and claim hould with Mr. Cleeves, the town is overthrown and noe man shall enjoy what he hath labored uppon and possessed, unless it be uppon their terms, and at ther wills and pleasures, but we hope that we shall injoy our priveleges and town affairs with the rest of teh towns in the jurisdiction, thes not to trobele your oners noe farther, but leave the case to God and you, hoping for a comfortable answer, We remain yours in all faithfulness. George Ingersoll, George Lues, (Lewis), Joseph Phippen, Nathaniel Wallis, Thomas Cellen, (skillin) Houmphry Durham, John Walles, Nicholas Wite, Phinehas Rider." Parents: Richard INGERSOLL and Agnes LANGLEY.

George Ingersoll came to America as a child with his parents in 1629. He was allotted 40 acres of land in Enon (Wenham), and was granted another 40 acres on 29 September 1642. These grants were presumably made in anticipation of his marriage.

In 1646 he sold his land and moved to Gloucester, Massachusetts, where he kept an ordinary. He was elected Selectman there in 1652.

He moved to what is now Maine, settling at Back Cove in Casco Bay, perhaps as early as 25 June 1657. He bought 55 acres from George Cleaves for 55 shillings and an annual tribute of one shilling and one day's labor. He became a prominent citizen. He was petitioner to the General Court in 1660, and a juryman in 1666 and 1668, and a Selectman of Falmouth (now Portland, Maine) in 1668.

In 1668 Massachusetts was attempting to establish its disputed authority over what is now Maine. A commission was set up with power to appoint civil and military officials. On 4 July 1668 George Ingersoll, acting as Selectman on behalf of Falmouth, forwarded a petition on the situation to the General Court of Massachusetts. He was sent to York to meet with the commission, which appointed him a lieutenant and placed him in command of the Falmouth Militia.

The Indians of the northeast, alarmed by the spread of English settlements, launched King Philip's War in 1675. As commander of the local militia, George had to deal with the problem. During this time he wrote the following letter:

Leif: Augur,-- Yesterday morning, being the 9th of September, was heard three Guns and was seen a great smoke up in the River above Mr. Mackworth's. Whereupon I caused an alarme, but could not get the Souldiers together by reason of which I was uncapable for that day to know the cause thereof, and what the issue might be; but this day, being the 10th of the said month, having strengthened myselfe, I went up with two fils, and when I c ame to the place, I found one house burnt downe, and six persons killed, and three of the same family could not be found. An old man and woman were halfe in, and halfe out of the house neer halfe burnt. Their owne son was shot through the body, and also his head dashed in pieces. This young man's wife was dead, her head skined, and she was bigg with child, two children having their heads dashed in pieces, and lay by another with their bellys to the ground, and an oake planke laid upon their backs. While we were upon this discovery we saw a smoke, and heard two Guns about one mile or more above, in the same quarter. We judge there be a c ompany of Indians, but how many we know not: therefore I would entreat Major Middleton and yourselfe to send me, each of you, a dowzen men. I s hall then goe to see whether it be according as we thinke or noe. Pray post this away to Major Walden. Thus taking my leave, I subscribe myselfe, Your loving friend, Leif: George Ingersoll Sept. 10, 1675

The Abnaki attacked Falmouth in October. The Ingersoll plantation was destroyed, the house was burned, and an unnamed son of George Ingersoll was killed. In all, 34 people were killed or taken captive in the Falmouth area. The survivors withdrew to Andrew Island. George Ingersoll, as commander of the militia, was in the field until December.

At the beginning of December 1675, he decided to return to Salem, Massachusetts with his family and his sons' families. His departure was criticized by those who remained.

The Ingersolls returned to Falmouth in 1680, and settled at Stroudwater (now Westbrook). George was Deputy from Falmouth to the Provincial Assembly of Maine in 1683 and 1685. He was one of the commissioners appointed to lay out a new townsite of 1,000 acres and make allotments.

There were further Indian disturbances in 1689. George, then 71, returned again to Salem, and escaped the second destruction of Falmouth in 1690.

George Ingersoll made his Will on 22 June 1694.

213. Elizabeth Lunt was born About 1620 in England and died Before 1694 in Falmouth, Cumberland Co, Maine.

Notes on Elizabeth Lunt The various Ingersoll genealogies do not give a surname for Elizabeth, wife of George Ingersoll. However, I have seen several copies of these genealogies with her surname pencilled in as "Lunt."

view all 39

Lieut. George Ingersoll's Timeline

July 2, 1618
Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
July 2, 1618
Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
July 2, 1618
., Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
July 2, 1618
., Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
July 2, 1618
Sandy, Bedford, , England
July 2, 1618
Sandy, Bedford, , England
July 2, 1618
Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
July 2, 1618
Sutton, Bedfordshire, England
July 2, 1618
July 2, 1618
Sutton, Bedford, England