|Birthplace:||St. Butolph, Bishops Gate, London, Middlesex, England, (Present UK)|
|Death:||Died in Sandwich, Barnstable County, Plymouth Colony|
Son of John "the Puritan" Ellis, of the Plymouth Colony; Ann Blandina Ellis and Ann Ellis
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Lieut. John Ellis, of Barnstable
About Lieut. John Ellis, of Barnstable
This profile is conflating two men of the same name:
Lt John Ellis of Plymouth and Sandwich - You may want to look at Freeman genealogy and TAG 37:10 & TAG 36:57-8; TAG 17:92 for the Plymouth man who m Elizabeth Freeman
John Ellis of Medfield and Dedham. arrived in 1636 see DeTR 1:20; DeChR 23; DeVR 126; MBCR 1:379; Medfield Hist 374; SPR Case # 2376 and Holman, Mary Lovering, and Harriett Grace Scott. The Scott Genealogy. (Boston, Mass.: NEHGS, 1919) 192. who m 1/ Susan Lumber 2/ Joan (Unknow) Widow of John Clapp
Best of Luck!
Old notes need to be separated
John Ellis was born on 14 Sep 1623 in St. Butolph, Bishop's Gate, London, England and died previous to May 23, 1677 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts 
Parents: JOHN ELLIS b: 28 Nov 1596 in Tewkesbury, Gloucester, Canterbury, England and ANN BLANDINA MASTERSON b: 1598 in Scotton, York, England. They were "Radical Separatists" in Leyden.
- before 1637 to an unknown woman.
- On November 10, 1641 ti Susan 'Susanna' Lombard. She was born about 1627 in Dedham Ma. She died April 4, 1654 in Medfield Ma.
- on 4 Jun 1645 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts to ELIZABETH FREEMAN b: 11 Apr 1624 in Billinghurst, Sussex, England c: 11 Apr 1624 in Pulborough, Sussex, England
Children of Susanna Lombard and John Ellis include:
- John Jr. who was born on February 26, 1642 in Dedham/Sandwich Ma.
Children of John Ellis and Elizabeth Freeman:
- John Ellis b abt 1646, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA; d bef 23 Mar 1676/77, King Philip's War.
- Elizabeth Ellis b abt 1647, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 2 Nov 1688; md Samuel Briggs abt 1664.
- Bennet Ellis b 27 Feb 1648/49, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 21 Jan 1701/02; md Obadiah Eddy abt 1688.
- Lt. Mordecai Ellis b 24 Mar 1650/51, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 9 Feb 1709/10, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA; md Sarah Clarke abt 1678.
- Manoah Ellis b abt 1652, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 30 Aug 1748; md Mary Burgess.
- Deborah Ellis b abt 1652, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 21 Jun 1711, Barnstable, MA; md Joseph Doty.
- Joel Ellis b 20 Mar 1654/55, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d abt 1656.
- Matthias Ellis (twin) b 2 Jun 1657.
- Nathaniel Ellis (twin) b 2 Jun 1657.
- Freeman Ellis b abt 1661, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 20 Jun 1728, Barnstable, MA; md Mercy Winslow abt 1686.
- Gideon Ellis b abt 1663, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d abt 1701/02.
- William Ellis b abt 1665, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA, d 1716, Middleboro, Plymoth, MA; md Lydia Briggs abt 1696.
John Ellis, born September 14, 1623 in England, son of John Ellis and '?' Masterson, came to America with his Uncle, Richard Masterson, who was b. about 1600 and was the brother of John's mother '?' Masterson. They traveled on the Mayflower in 1629.
'John Ellis' of Sandwich and his now wife is censored to be whit at public post and Elizabeth, his wife, to stand by whilst execution of the sentence is performed', which was accordingly done. And the said John Ellis, for his long and tedious delays occasioning much trouble and char to the country, for that he would not confess the truth until present, is fined 5 lashes.' Served June 5, 1651 on the Grand Inquest.
Hard to tell whether this is the same church where he was christened or not:
- Life of John Ellis
- He died previous to May 23, 1677 as the inventory of his estate was taken by RICHARD BOURNE, JOHN SMITH, and THOMAS TOBEY May 23, 1677 and exhibited to the Court held at Plymouth June 5, 1677, on the oath of his widow, ELIZABETH ELLIS. (Information from, A brief Genealogical and Biographical Record of Charles Roscoe Howland Brother and Forebears, by Charles Roscoe Howland, Late President of The Pilgrim John Howland Society, The Tuttle Pub.Co., Rutland, Vt.) (Age 56 was the age Lt. John Ellis would have been at the time the inventory of his estate was taken). (from Life of John Ellis)
- At 21 years old-“As soon as he arrived at the age of 21 he took the oath of a freeman, June 2, 1641 in Boston…” (Information from, A brief Genealogical and Biographical Record of Charles Roscoe Howland Brother and Forebears, by Charles Roscoe Howland, Late President of The Pilgrim John Howland Society, The Tuttle Pub.Co., Rutland, Vt.) (from Life of John Ellis)
- Richard Masterson, John Ellis, Christopher Verrall and the Sandwich Separatists 1603-1620" by Michael R. Paulick, NEHGR 154 (2000):353-369.
- A John Ellis married Blandyna Masterson, sister of Richard Masterson at Sandwich, Kent, England in 1594 and had the following children: Christopher (1595), Mary (1596), John (1598, buried 1603), Susana (1600) and Thomas (1608). Both Masterson and Ellis were radical separatists and known friends of Moses Fletcher, James Chilton and other Mayflower passengers from Kent. They were in Leiden, Holland. One Christopher Ellis (assumed to be the man baptized in 1595) was still alive and living in Leiden in 1649 when Bradford wrote him a letter. So we have puritans in Leiden with the name Ellis from a place in England called Sandwich. (Slovak Yankee)
1643: Appointed lieutenant in the military.
Colonial Wars (King Phillips War) Lt. Militia, Sandwich, MA.,1653 engaged to train Company of Sandwich, Plymouth Colony, 1660. Founder Proofs Genealogical Register of Plymouth Families by Wiliam T. Davis 1985. Lt.John and Elizabeth Freeman Ellis of Sandwich, MA by Col. Harry Ellis Genealogies of the Mayflower Families Vol 1 pg. 573-585. by Gary Boyd Roberts New England Marriage before 1700 by Clarence Almon Torrey. Order of the Founders andPatriotsSociety Ancestors Register Lineages of associates pg. 501 Lineage of NationalSocietyofthe Sons & Daughters of the Pilgrims 1929-1952 pg 45. Sandwich and Cape Cod Town by RA Lovel Jr., Pub. 1842 pg. 123. Patriot Ancestor NEHGR July 1965 pg. 161-173
June 4, 1645 Bradford (PCR 2:8586): John Ellis, of Sandwich, for abuseing himself with his now wyfe by committing vncleanesse with her before marryage, is censured to be whipt at publike post, and Elizabeth, his wyfe, to stand by whilst execution of the sentence is performed; wich was accordingly donn. And the said John Ellis, for his long and tedious delayes, occasioning much trouble [and] charge to the countrey, for that he would not confesse the truth vntill this present, is fyned [five pounds]. - See more at: http://www.famhist.us/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I603474&tree=allfam#sthash.C1CgKF4s.dpuf
Lieut. John Ellis, of Barnstable's Timeline
September 14, 1623
Bishops Gate, London, Middlesex, England, (Present UK)
Sandwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, United States
February 27, 1648
Sandwich, Barnstable, MA
March 24, 1650
Sandwich, (Present Barnstable County), Plymouth Colony, (Present USA)
Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts
March 20, 1654
Sandwich, Barnstable co., Massachusetts