Lillian W Bentham
|Also Known As:||"Lily Bentham"|
|Birthplace:||Holley, Orleans, NY, USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Lillian W Bentham
About Lillian W Bentham
Miss Lillian W. Bentham
- Born: Saturday 23rd July 1892 in Holley New York United States
- Age: 19 years
- Last Residence: at 11 Kay Terrace Rochester New York United States
- 2nd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 28404 , £13
- Destination: Rochester New York United States
- Rescued (boat 12)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Thursday 15th December 1977
- Buried: Hillside Cemetery Holley New York United States
Miss Lillian W. Bentham was born in Holley, N. Y. Her mother was Mary J. Bentham, her father had died prior to 1912
Lillian had been one of a party of 11 visting Europe.3 The group included her godfather William J. Downton, Peter David McKane, Peter Renouf, Lillian Renouf, Clifford Jefferys, Ernest Jefferys, Herbert Denbury and Emily Rugg.
Whilst she was away her family moved to Rochester, N. Y.
Lillian boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a second class passenger. She held ticket number 28404, price: £13. 5
After the collision on 14 April 1912 Lillian did not think the Titanic would sink even though she knew that the passengers were being taken off in lifeboats. Only when one of her party, Herbert Denbury, rushed to her stateroom and told her to hurry on deck did she accept the seriousness of the situation.
Miss Bentham was rescued in lifeboat 12. She recalled seeing the ship break in two as it sank.
Her mother could not come to meet her off the Carpathia as her brother had contracted Typhoid fever, but eight friends did come, among them the widow of William Downton.
Lillian married Mr John Black in 1918.They lived at 11 Kay Terrace, Rochester, N. Y