Ranulf de Neville
|Also Known As:||"Ralph Neville", "Ranulf Neville", "1st Baron Neville of Raby", "1st Baron Neville de Raby", "Ranulf de Neville"|
|Birthplace:||Raby with Keverstone, Staindrop, County Durham, England|
|Death:||Died in Castle Raby (Staindrop) or Warkworth, County Durham, England|
|Place of Burial:||Coverham, North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Robert de Neville, II and Mary de Neville
|Occupation:||3rd Baron of Raby, 1st Lord Neville, 1st Lord of Raby, 3rd Baron of Raby, 1st Baron Neville de Raby, 1st Baron of Raby, County Durham, UK, Baron of Raby Castle,|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Ralph Neville 1st Baron Neville de Raby
About Ralph Neville 1st Baron Neville de Raby
Ralph Neville, 1st Baron Neville de Raby
Ralph Neville, 1st Baron Neville de Raby (18 October 1262 / 1270 – 18 April 1331) was a Norman nobleman and member of the powerful Neville family, son of Robert de Neville and Mary fitz Ranulf.[a]
Neville married first Euphemia de Clavering daughter of Robert de Clavering (5th Baron of Warkworth & Clavering) and Margaret La Zouche, sister of Alan la Zouche, 1st Baron la Zouche of Ashby. Ralph and Euphemia had fourteen children. His second marriage was to Margery de Thwenge, daughter of John De Thwenge and Joan De Mauley
Ralph had the following children with Euphemia de Clavering:
- 1.Joan de Neville (c.1283) m. John of Willington (1281–1388) son of Ralph de Willington and Juliana Lomene.
- 2.Anastasia de Neville (c.1285), married Sir Walter de Fauconberg (1264 - 24 June 1314 Battle of Bannockburn).
- 3.Sir Robert de Neville of Middleham (c. 1287 June 1319)
- 4.Ida de Neville (c.1289)
- 5.Ralph Neville, 2nd Baron Neville de Raby (c. 1291 – 5 August 1367), married Alice de Audley and had children
- 6.Eupheme de Neville (c. 1291)
- 7.Alice de Neville (c. 1293)
- 8.Sir Alexander de Neville (c. 1297 - 15 March 1367)
- 9.John Neville (1299 - 19 July 1333 Battle of Halidon Hill)
- 10.Mary de Neville (c. 1301)
- 11.William de Neville (c. 1303)
- 12.Margaret de Neville (c. 1305)
- 13.Thomas de Neville (c. 1306 - before June 1349)
- 14.Avelina de Neville (c. 1307), married Norville Norton and had children
- Sir Randolph de Neville, 1st Lord Neville of Raby, Constable of Warkworth Castle1,2,3,4,5
- M, #11310, b. 18 October 1262, d. circa 18 April 1331
- Father Robert de Neville6,7 b. b 1240, d. 6 Aug 1271
- Mother Mary FitzRanulph6,7 b. c 1246, d. c 11 Apr 1320
- Sir Randolph de Neville, 1st Lord Neville of Raby, Constable of Warkworth Castle Also Lord Middleham. He was born on 18 October 1262 at of Raby & Brancepeth, Durham, England; Age 20 in 1282.3,5 He married Euphemia de Clavering, daughter of Sir Robert FitzRoger, 5th Baron Warkworth, 1st Baron Clavering, 1st Lord FitzRoger and Margery la Zouche, before 12 March 1281; They had 5 sons (Sir Robert; Sir Ralph, 2nd Lord Neville; Sir Alexander; John; & Thomas, Archdeacon of Durham) and 4 daughters (Anastasia, wife of Sir Walter de Fauconberg; Mary; Ida; & Eupheme).2,3,4,5 Sir Randolph de Neville, 1st Lord Neville of Raby, Constable of Warkworth Castle married Margaret de Thweng, daughter of John de Thweng, after 1320; No issue.8,3,5 Sir Randolph de Neville, 1st Lord Neville of Raby, Constable of Warkworth Castle died circa 18 April 1331; Buried in the choir of Coverham Abbey, Yorkshire.3,5
- Family 1 Euphemia de Clavering b. a 1265, d. c 1320
- Robert de "Peacock of the North" Neville d. Jun 1319
- Anastasia de Neville d. a 1315
- Sir Ralph de Neville, 2nd Baron Nevill of Raby, Sheriff of Hutton, Snape, Sutton in the Forest, & Wells+9,3,5 b. c 1291, d. 5 Aug 1367
- Family 2 Margaret de Thweng d. a 18 Apr 1331
- 1.[S3042] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, by F. L. Weis, 4th Ed., p. 54.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 492.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 241.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 225.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 226-227.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 240-241.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 226.
- 8.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. IX, p. 498.
- 9.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 538-539.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p377.htm#i11310
- Ranulf de Neville, 1st Lord Neville1
- M, #19618, b. 18 October 1262, d. circa 18 April 1331
- Last Edited=29 Feb 2012
- Ranulf de Neville, 1st Lord Neville was born on 18 October 1262 at Raby, County Durham, England.1,2 He was the son of Robert (II) de Neville and Mary fitz Ranulf.1 He married Eupheme FitzRobert, daughter of Robert FitzRoger, 1st Lord FitzRoger and Margaret de la Zouche, in 1282 at Warkworth, Northumberland, England.2 He married, secondly, Margery de Thweng, daughter of John de Thweng, before 1331.1 He died circa 18 April 1331 at Raby Castle, Durham, County Durham, England.3
- He was also known as Randolph.1 On 11 January 1283/84 he had livery under writ.4 He was created 1st Lord Neville, of Raby [England] on 24 June 1295.1 In 1303 he was chief of the delegation summoned by the King to set forth the grievances of the people against the Bishop of Durham.4 In 1313 he was found guilty of incest with his daughter, Lady de Faucomberge.1 He held the office of Keeper of the Peace in 1325.4
- Children of Ranulf de Neville, 1st Lord Neville and Eupheme FitzRobert
- 1.Sir Robert de Neville1 b. b 1291, d. Jun 1319
- 2.Ralph de Neville, 2nd Lord Neville+ b. c 1291, d. 5 Aug 1367
- 3.Sir Alexander de Neville1 b. bt 1292 - 1300, d. 15 Mar 1366/67
- 4.Thomas de Neville1 b. bt 1292 - 1320
- 5.John de Neville1 b. b 1301, d. 19 Jul 1333
- 6.Anastasia de Neville b. b 1331
- 7.Mary de Neville1 b. b 1331
- 8.Ida de Neville1 b. b 1331
- 9.Eupheme de Neville1 b. b 1331
- 1.[S8] BP1999 volume 1, page 14. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S8]
- 2.[S125] Richard Glanville-Brown, online <e-mail address>, Richard Glanville-Brown (RR 2, Milton, Ontario, Canada), downloaded 17 August 2005.
- 3.[S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 15. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 4.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume IX, page 497. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p1962.htm#i19618
- Ralph De NEVILLE (1º B. Neville of Raby)
- Born: 18 Oct 1262 / 1270, Raby Castle, Durham, England
- Acceded: 1295
- Died: 18 Apr 1331
- Buried: on the south side of the altar at Coverham, England
- Father: Robert De NEVILLE
- Mother: Mary TAILBOYS
- Married 1: Euphemia De CLAVERING
- 1. Joan De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1283)
- 2. Anastasia De NEVILLE
- 3. Robert De NEVILLE of Middleham (Sir Knight)
- 4. Ida De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1289)
- 5. Ralph NEVILLE (2° B. Neville of Raby)
- 6. Eupheme De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1291)
- 7. Alice De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1293)
- 8. Alexander De NEVILLE (Sir Knight)
- 9. John NEVILLE (b. 1299 - d. 19 Jul 1333)
- 10. Mary De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1301)
- 11. William De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1303)
- 12. Margaret De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1305)
- 13. Thomas De NEVILLE (b. ABT 1306 - d. BEF Jun 1349)
- 14. Avelina De NEVILLE
- Married 2: Margery De THWENGE (dau. of John De Thwenge and Joan De Mauley)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/NEVILLE1.htm#Ralph De NEVILLE (1º B. Neville of Raby)
- Robert FitzMaldred, lord of Raby
- m. Isabel Nevill (dau of Geoffrey de Nevill) @@ just above
- 1. Geoffrey de Nevill of Raby
- m. Margaret or Joan
- A. Robert de Nevill of Raby (d 1282)
- m. Ida (dau or relict of Robert Bertram)
- i. Robert de Nevill (dvp)
- m. (c1260) Mary FitzRandolph (b c1244, d 11.03.1320, dau of Ralph FitzRandolph of Middleham)
- a. Ralph de Nevill, 1st Lord of Raby (d 18.04.1331)
- m1. Euphemia de Clavering (dau of Robert FitzRoger de Clavering, 1st Lord)
- (1) Robert Nevill of Middleham, 'the Peacock of the North' (dvpsp)
- (2) Ralph Nevill, 2nd Lord of Raby (d 1367)
- m. Alice de Audley (d 1374, dau of Sir Hugh de Audley)
- (A) Sir John Nevill, 3rd Lord of Raby (d 17.10.1388)
- m1. (1364) Maud Percy (d c1379, dau of Henry de Percy, 2nd Lord of Alnwick)
- (i) Ralph Nevill of Raby, 1st Earl of Westmorland (d 21.10.1425)
- m1. Margaret Stafford (dau of Hugh, Earl of Stafford)
- m2. Joan Beaufort (b 1379, d 1440, dau of John Plantagenet 'of Gaunt', Duke of Lancaster)
- (ii) Thomas Nevill, Lord Furnivall (d 14.03.1406-7)
- m1. (c1379) Joane de Furnivall, Baroness Furnivall (d 01.06.1413)
- (a) Maud Nevill, Baroness Furnivall (b c1391, d before 1433)
- m. (12.03.1406) John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury (b 1390, d Chastillon 20.07.1453)
- m2. (1400-1) Ankaret le Strange (d 1413, dau of John le Strange, Lord of Blackmere)
- (b) Joan Nevill
- m. Sir Hugh Cokesley (and/or Hamon de Belknap)
- (iii) Maud Nevill (dsp)
- m. Sir William le Scrope
- (iv) Alice Nevill (d 20.06.1433)
- m. William Deincourt, 3rd Lord (d 1381)
- (v) Idonia Nevill
- (vi) Eleanor Nevill (a 1441)
- m. Sir Ralph de Lumley, 1st Lord (b c1361, d 01.1399/1400)
- m2. (by 09.10.1381/2) Elizabeth Latimer, Baroness Latimer (d 05.11.1395, dau of William Latimer, 4th Lord)
- (vii) John Nevill, 6th Lord Latimer (dsp 10.12.1430)
- m. (before 24.07.1406, div) Maud Clifford (d 26.08.1446, dau of Thomas Clifford, Lord de Clifford)
- The Latimer title passed to his nephew George Nevill, a younger son of the Earl of Westmorland.
- (viii) Elizabeth Nevill
- m. Sir Thomas Willoughby
- (ix) Margaret Nevill (d unm)
- Identified as sister of Ralph, Earl of Westmorland & Earl Marshall, was the following Euffeme though who her mother was is not known.
- (x) Euffeme Neville
- m. Sir William Mulcaster
- (B) Sir William Nevill
- (C) Thomas Nevill
- The following connection is reported by BE1883 but, although there are some differences in names, it looks as though BE1883 may have confused this Thomas with Thomas Neville of Rolleston.
- m. Margaret Babington (dau of William Babington)
- (i) Jane Nevill
- m1. Thomas Thurland
- m2. Sir Gervase Clifton
- (D) Sir Robert Nevill of Eldon ancestor of various Nevill/Nevile families
- m. Clara Pinckney (dau of Sir Francis Pinckney)
- BLG1886 (Nevile of Thorney) shows Robert and Clara as ancestors of that family. That view is changed by BLG1952 (Nevile of Thorney) after further research.
- (E) Alexander Nevill, Archbishop of York, Lord High Chancellor (d 1391)
- (F) Sir Ralph Nevill of Candall
- (G) Euphemia Nevill
- m1. Reginald de Lucy
- m2. Robert de Clifford, 4th Lord (dsp before 1354)
- (H) Catherine Nevill
- m. William de Dacre, 2nd Lord of Dacre and Multon (dsp 07.1361)
- (I) Margaret Nevill (d 12.05.1372)
- m1. William de Ros, 4th Lord (b 1326, dsp 1352)
- m2. (1358) Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland (b 1342, d 29.02.1408)
- (J) Isabel Nevill
- m. Hugh FitzHugh (dsp)
- (K) Eleanor Nevill
- m. Geoffrey Scrope of Masham (b 1340, dvpsp Piskre 1362)
- (3) Margaret Nevill
- m. William Ros, Lord of Hamlake ???
- (4) Anastasia Nevill
- m. Sir Walter de Faucenberg (dvpsp Bannockburn 24.06.1314)
- m2. Margaret de Thweng (dau of Marmaduke de Thweng)
- B. Geoffrey de Nevill (d before 26.03.1285)
- m. (c1267) Margaret Longvilliers (d c02.1318/9, dau of Sir John Longvilliers)
- C. Agnes de Nevill
- m1. (sp) Richard de Percy of Topcliffe (d before 18.08.1244)
- m2. John Deincourt of Blankney, 7th lord (d before 14.10.1257)
- 2. Sir John Nevile de Pickhall, Yorkshire
- Commoners (vol 2, Nevile of Thorney) identifies John as ancestor of the Neviles of Holt. However, as reported on Nevill05, BLG1982 (Nevile of Thorney) shows differently, identifying Jollan/John de Neville (shown above) as progenitor of that branch.
- 3. William Nevill
- Commoners (vol 2, Nevile of Thorney) identifies William as ancestor of theNeviles of Holbeck. However, as reported on Nevill04, BLG1982 (Nevile of Skelbrooke formerly of Chevet) shows differently, identifying Geoffrey de Nevill (shown just above) as progenitor of that branch.
- Main source(s): BE1883 (Nevill of Westmorland) with some support from BLG1952 (Nevile of Skelbrooke formerly of Chevet) and some input for the earliest generations from TCP, as reported above, and various web sites (in particular www.whosyomama.com)
- From: Stirnet.com
- TCP reports the suggestion that "the family originated in co. Durham, being related to the FitzMarmadukes, lords of Horden" and that there was a connection with the village of Thwing in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
- Robert de Thweng of Legsby, Lincolnshire (a 1130)
- 1. Robert FitzRobert de Thweng (a 1164, d c1190)
- m. Emma (sister/coheir of Duncan Darel of Lund)
- A. Sir Marmaduke de Thweng or Thwenge (b 1164, d 1235)
- Walker (which also named his mother as an Emma), BE1883 & Commoners all identify Marmaduke's wife as Emma, sister of Duncan Darell, but we follow TCP in showing that Emma as Marmaduke's mother. TCP does not identify Marmaduke's wife.
- i. Sir Robert de Thweng (b 1202, d 1247)
- BE1883 & Commoners identifiy Robert's wife as the widow of Sir John de Oketon. TCP & Walker identify her as ...
- m. Maud/Matilda de Kilton (d 06.1279, dau of Roger de Kilton, brother of William, widow of Sir Richard de Autrey)
- a. Sir Marmaduke de Thweng of Kilton (b 1225, d c1283)
- Walker identifies Marmaduke's wife as dau of Peter de Brus of Skelton by Helewise, dau of Peter de Merley, and sister/coheir of her brother Peter. Commoners identifies her as Lucia, sister/coheir of Peter de Brus of Skelton. As shown on Bruce01, we follow BE1883 (Lancaster) (and other sources which show the Peter who married Hilary (not Helewise) de Merley as having dsp) and TCP which shows this Lucy as ...
- m. (c1242) Lucy Brus (b 1216, d after 1282, dau of Peter de Brus of Skelton by Hawise de Lancaster)
- (1) Robert de Thweng of Kilton & Kirkleatham (dvp 05.1279)
- m1. (before 12.1265) Alice de Merlay (b c1257, d before 07.02.1267/8, dau of Roger de Merlay of Morpeth)
- p/m2. (1271) Matilda Hansard (dau of Sir Robert Hansard)
- (A) .... etc.
- (2) Marmaduke de Thweng, 1st Lord (b 09.1256, d 04.1322)
- m. (1273) Isabel de Ros (d 1309, dau of Sir William de Ros of Ingmanthorpe)
- (A) .... etc.
- (3) Sir John de Thwenge (b 1261, d 02.12.1330, 4th son) mentioned by Walker
- m. Joan de Mauley (d 13.07.1347, dau of Sir Robert de Mauley)
- (A) Sir Edmund (or Edward) de Thwenge of Cornburgh (Corneburgh) & Southburn (d 15.10.1344)
- (1) This man is named Edward by Commoners & BE1883, showing him as a generation earlier (SIr John not being mentioned). We are following Walker who names him Sir Edmund and shows him as son of Sir John but note an element of caution as Walker shows Margery, who married Ralph, Lord Neville, twice, both as sister and as daughter of Sir John.
- (2) Commoners & BE1883 mention only his marriage to Alice Helmesley and Commoners confirms that she was mother of Marmaduke, William & Walter. Walker shows that he also married Isabel Constable and, in his article on 'Thwenge of Over Hemsley', shows that it was Isabel who was mother of Marmaduke, Walter, William & John. Provisionally we follow Walker rather than Commoners in showing Isabel as mother of all of the sons.
- m1. (by 1320) Alice de Helmesley (dau/heir of Walter de Helmesley of Over Helmesey)
- m2. Isabel Constable (d 1346, dau of Sir Robert Constable of Flamborough by Katherine Mauley)
- (i) .... etc.
- (4) Margaret or Margery de Thweng (b 1276)
- m. (sp) Ralph de Nevill, 1st Lord of Raby (d 1331)
- (5)+ other issue - Gawain (b 1259, a 1294), Edmund (b 1263, parson of Kirk Deighton), Richard (b 1267), Peter (b 1270), William (b 1273), Roger (b 1274), Hillaric (b 1258), Matilda (b 1265), Johanna (b 1271)
- b. .... etc.
- Main sources: TCP (Thweng), BE1883 (Thweng), Walker's Yorkshire Pedigrees (1942, Thwenge of Kilton) with some support from the section on 'Families of Thwenge and Wilmer' within Commoners (vol 2, Field of Heaton)
- From: Stirnet.com
Sir Ralph appears to have been known as Sir Ralph de Neville of Raby.
Ralph Neville 1st Baron Neville de Raby's Timeline
October 18, 1262
Staindrop, County Durham, England
Raby Castle, County Durham, England
Raby Castle, Durham, England
Raby Castle, County Durham, England
August 5, 1291
Raby, Durham, England
Raby, Durham, England
Staindrop, County Durham, United Kingdom
Staindrop, County Durham, United Kingdom
Raby, Durham, England