|Death:||Died in Middleborough, Plymouth County, Province of Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Middleborough, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States|
Son of John Thompson and Alice Freeman
|Occupation:||Militia Lieutenant for Plymouth (c. 1643), Constable of Plymouth (1650), Surveyor of Highways for Barnstable (1653), Selectman for Barnstable (1665-1673), Selectman for Middleboro (1674), Cdr of garrison|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Lt. John Thomson
About Lt. John Thomson
John Thomson of the Plymouth Colony, (say 1616 - 1696). His parents unknown; he was not the son of John Thompson & Alice Freeman , their son John was born in 1611 and stayed in England. Married Mary Cooke (say 1627 - 1714), daughter of Francis Cooke & Hester le Mahieu.
He was fined for incontinency with wife before marriage, which indicates their first child was born too soon after marriage.
From Mayflower Families:
John THOMPSON died on 16 Jun 1696 in Middleborough, MA. (2860) Wood says in 80th year. He left a will.
He was born abt June16 1616/1617 in prob England.(2861)
He was married to Mary COOKE on 26 Dec 1645 in Plymouth, MA.(585) (2862)
MFIP: Lists a total of 12 children born in Plymouth and Barnstable. Children were:
- 1. Adam THOMPSON,
- 2. John THOMPSON,
- 3. John THOMPSON,
- 4. Mary THOMPSON,
- 5. Hester/Esther TOMPSON,
- 6. Elizabeth THOMPSON,
- 7. Sarah THOMPSON,
- 8. Lydia THOMPSON,
- 9. Jacob THOMPSON3 Esq,
- 10. Thomas THOMPSON,
- 11. Peter THOMPSON,
- 12. Mercy THOMPSON.
585. Susan E. Rosser. Mayflower Births & Deaths, Vol I, II. Genealogical Publishing Company, Baltimore, MD, 1992.
2860. Ralph V. Wood, jr. Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Francis Cooke of the Mayflower. Volume 12. Picton Press, Camden, Maine, 1996. p.62.
2861. Ibid. p.62.
2862. Ibid. p.62.
Lt. John TOMSON (1616 – 1696) was Alex’s 9th Great Grandfather; one of 1,024 in this generation of the Miller linehjwas of Scottish descent. It is said his father died soon after his birth, and his mother married again. Even the name of his step-father is not known. One theory is that his father was Amos THOMPSON who was born in or near Orby, Lincolnshire, England and married Carynthaphuch JACKSON on 10 Nov 1697 in Orby, Lincolnshire, England.
Lieutenant, John was on the 1643 list of men able to bear arms for Plymouth. He was constable of Plymouth in 1650, surveyor of highways for Barnstable 1653, frequently selectman there from 1665 through 1673, and selectman for Middleboro in 1674.
See http://www.pilgrimhallmuseum.org/ce_arms_armor.htm for his pistol
John Thompson was born in either Wales or England, and is thought to be of Scotch origin.
He came to New England in 1622, landing in Plymouth, Massachusetts. He was a carpenter and a farmer; with a friend, he built the first frame meeting house in Plymouth in 1637. In return for his labors the town gave him a deed of land. In time, he was a man of evident consequence in the colony.
As a Lieutenant in King Philip's War, he was equipped with a gun, brass pistol, sword and scabbard. the gun was 7 feet, 4 1/2 inches long and weighted over 20 pounds. The sword was 3 feet, 5 1/2 inches in length. Both sword and gun are now in Pilgrim Hall, Plymouth, Mass.
He closed his industrious and useful life in 1696. He was buried in the first burying ground in Middleborough, and his gravestone, the second one erected in the Middleboro Graveyard, is a small stone which has the following inscription: "In Memory of Lieut. John Thompson who died June ye 16, 1696, in ye 80th Year of is Age this is a Debt to Nature Due Which I have Paid and So Must You"
John Tompson was born on 17 June 1616 in England.1 He married Mary Cooke, daughter of Pilgrim Francis Cooke and Hester Mahieu, on 26 December 1645 in Plymouth, (now Plymouth County), New Plymouth Colony.1 John Tompson died on 16 June 1696 in Middleboro, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, at age 79.
John Tompson is mentioned in The Great Migration Begins under Pilgrim Francis Cooke.
John Thomson is buried in Nemasket Hill burying ground, Middleboro, MA - "I believe it said only his and one other grave identified as those of the early settlers." - from Aunt Doris.
From Descendants of Francis Cooke, Second Generation:
8. Mary Cooke was born about 1626 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts  and died on 21 Mar 1714 in Middleboro, Massachusetts  about age 88.
Mary married John Tomson on 26 Dec 1645 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts. John was born in 1617  and died on 16 Jun 1696 in Middleboro, Massachusetts  at age 79.
Children from this marriage were:
- 1. + 32 M i. Adam Tomson was born before 25 Sep 1646 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts  and died about 1648 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- 2. + 33 M ii. John Tomson was born in 1648 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts  and died on 11 Feb 1649 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts  at age 1.
- 3. + 34 M iii. John Tomson was born on 24 Nov 1649 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts  and died on 25 Nov 1725 in Middleboro, Massachusetts  at age 76.
- 4. + 35 F iv. Mary Tomson was born about 1650 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts  and died on 15 Jun 1723  about age 73.
- 5. + 36 F v. Esther Tomson was born on 28 Jul 1652 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died after 26 Oct 1705 in Weymouth, Massachusetts.
- 6. + 37 F vi. Elizabeth Tomson was born on 28 Jan 1654 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died before 21 Sep 1717 in Weymouth, Massachusetts.
- 7. + 38 F vii. Sarah Tomson was born on 4 Apr 1657 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died on 19 Jun 1696 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  at age 39.
- 8. + 39 F viii. Lydia Tomson was born on 5 Oct 1659 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died on 14 Mar 1742 in Middleboro, Massachusetts  at age 82.
- 9. + 40 M ix. Jacob Tomson was born on 24 Apr 1662 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died on 1 Sep 1726 in Middleboro, Massachusetts  at age 64.
- 10. + 41 M x. Thomas Tomson was born on 19 Oct 1664 in Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died on 26 Oct 1742 in Halifax, Massachusetts  at age 78.
- 11. + 42 M xi. Peter Tomson was born before 1670 in Prob Barnstable, Massachusetts  and died before 29 Apr 1731 in Halifax, Massachusetts.
- 12. + 43 F xii. Mercy Tomson was born about 1671.
2. Robert S. Wakefield, FASG, Ralph Van Wood, jr., Cooke MFIP (General Society of Mayflower Descendants), 2.
9. Ibid, 7.
21. Ibid, 8.
22. Ibid, 24.
23. Ibid, 26.
24. Ibid, 27.
25. Ibid, 28.
26. Ibid, 29.
27. Ibid, 30.
Constable, juryman of Plymouth County
Lt. John Thomson's Timeline
September 26, 1646
Plymouth, (Present Plymouth County), Plymouth Colony, (Present USA)
Plymouth, Plymouth Colony
November 24, 1649
Plymouth, (Present Plymouth County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
Plymouth, (Present Plymouth County), Plymouth Colony
July 28, 1652
Plymouth, Plymouth Colony
January 28, 1654
Barnstable, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony