Matching family tree profiles for MacBeatha Mc Finlay, Thane of Cromarty
About MacBeatha Mc Finlay, Thane of Cromarty
Undocumented, but not impossible.
Uncertain whether he would have been using "McFinlay" as a surname, since Scotland, like most of the "Celtic Fringe", was still using patronymics. He might have used "mac meic Findleich" (descendant of Finlay).
Macbeth, in selecting his stepson Lulach as his successor, may have been trying to continue the rule of tanistry by which he himself had claimed the crown. Its fatal flaw (incitement to fratricidal conflict) was becoming entirely too clear, and the "new rule" of primogeniture, which Malcolm II had tried to impose and Malcolm III finally made stick, at least had the virtue of establishing exactly who the heir was from the get-go.
From Linda Finley Rogers-Fefferman research on a proposed lineage for descent from MacBeth (but one which lacks any credible source citations, other than for MacBeth's ancestry):
2. Macbeth / MACBETH MAC FINDLAECH
Macbeth's pedigree, in MS Rawl B. 502, a believed reliable source of genealogies, shows his descent from Ferchair, who held the kingship of Dalriada in the late seventh century.
MACBETH's death ended a dynasty (Ireland and Scotland). At the time of his death, his children were young, so the Clan FIONNLAGH placed his stepson, LULACH, on the throne. He only reigned 6 months, being defeated and slain at Eske in Strathbogie by the Saxon invaders and the rebellious adherents of Malcolm CANMORE.
After LULACH, no other member of the Clan FIONNLAGH has been on the throne of Scotland to the present day. Members of the clan became hunted outlaws, long before religious persecution drove them from the British Isles. And this may be reason why some changed their names.
3. MacBeatha McFinlay
- b. 1045 Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland;
- d. 1093 Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland;
- md. 1079 Bethoca McBrad daughter of Andrew McBrad
MacBeatha McFinley, Thane of Cromarty; (b. bef. 1057 in Cromarty ; d. 1093) Married Bethoca, daughter of Andrew McBrad (McBride.)
Macbeatha McFinlay, a younger son of Macbeth, was 1060-1093, Thane of Cromarty; married Bethoca, daughter of Andrew McBrad (McBride.)
4. Ruari (Rory) McFinlay
- b. 1080 Cromarty, Ross Cromarty, Scotland (source Patricia GUINIVAN Apt. 19 767 Springfield Avenue Summit, NJ 07901 as per FamilySearch.Com)
- Thane of Crumbacty (Cromarty), 1100 to 1152
- Surname: McFinlay
- Given Name: Macbeatha
- Suffix: Thane of Cromarty
- Sex: M
- Birth: Thane of Cromarty 1060-1093 AD
- UID: 4519647509B1D511AF308ED0115A3E743190
- 1. Has Children Ruari MCFINLAY Thane of Cromarty b: Thane of Cromarty 1100-1152 AD