About Margaret Houston
Cleburne Huston, in his book "Bold Legacy, the Story of the Houston/Huston Ancestors", cites Aimee Houston Eck's book "William Huston of Voluntown CT." In the book she states that William was the brother of John Houston, Gentleman, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1730 with his widowed mother, wife Margaret Cunningham, 4 sons and 2 daughters.
- Samuel John HOUSTON who died in Ireland before 1730.
- Christopher Houston, b. 1680, Ireland , d. 1726, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- John Houston, Sr, b. 1690, Antrim, Northern Ireland , d. 15 May 1755, New Providence, Augusta, Virginia, USA
- Joseph Houston, b. 1692, Antrim, Northern Ireland , d. 29 Oct 1740, Montgomery, Orange, New York, USA
- William Houston, b. 1694, Strabaul, Antrim, Ulster, Ireland , d. 1740, Fayette, Pennsylvania, USA
- Sarah Houston, b. 1695, Ireland , d. 1742, Pennsylvania, Somerset, Pennsylvania, USA
- Mary Ann Houston, b. 1698, Antrim, Northern Ireland
- Margaret Houston, b. 1700, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA , d. 1760, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
- Robert Houston, b. 1720, Ireland , d. May 1761, Augusta, Virginia, USA
- http://johnmontgomeryancestry.com/_HoustonInfo, Hoffman, Susan Vaughan Montgomery, (Location: Madison, Alabama; Date: 2009;), Website posted by Susan Vaughan Montgomery Hoffman and other family collaborators, including Russ Montgomery, about the history of John Montgomery and Margaret Alexander Montgomery as it relates to John Montgomery and Esther Houston of Virginia.
Appendix section covering John Houston information
Birth: 1650 County Antrim, Northern Ireland Death: 1747 Timber Ridge Rockbridge County Virginia, USA
Margaret and John Samuel were the parents of:
Samuel/ John McClung/1689 m. Margaret Cunningham
Came to America about 1735 with her son and six of his seven children. She died at age 97 in Rockbridge County, VA, and is buried in New Providence Cemetery.
After the death of Samuel Houston, John McClung Houston, his wife Margaret (nee Cunningham), his 80 year old mother, Margaret (McClung) Houston, and 6 of his 7 children sailed for America. They and the other emigrant passengers became suspicious that the Captain of their ship and the crew were planning to rob them and kill them, as they had sold all of their property in Ireland and had with them trunks of gold aboard. After discovering that many of the passengers knew how to sail and navigate the ship, they took over the ship and placed the Captain and crew in irons while they safely sailed the ship to Philadelphia. They settled 100 miles from Philadelphia in Lancaster, PA, and lived there for 17 years.
Children: John Houston (1690 - 1755)*
- Calculated relationship
Note: 5-11-2012, Photo Vol states: "I have photographed all the early Houstons in the cemetery. The earliest stone I have found still standing is John Houston who died in September of 1791."
Burial: New Providence Presbyterian Church Cemetery Raphine Rockbridge County Virginia, USA
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Sue McDuffe:) Record added: May 11, 2012 Find A Grave Memorial# 89959897 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=89959897
Margaret Houston's Timeline
Ulster, Northern Ireland
Antrim, Ulster, Northern Ireland
Rockbridge, Virginia, United States
Rockbridge County, Virginia