Margaret Marcella "Maggie" Daly
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Margaret Marcella "Maggie" Daly
- Name: Miss Margaret Marcella "Maggie" Daly
- Age: 30 years
- Last Residence: in Athlone Westmeath Ireland
- Occupation: Housekeeper
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Queenstown on Thursday 11th April 1912
- Ticket No. 382650 , £6 19s
- Destination: New York City New York United States
- Rescued (boat 15)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
Miss Margaret Marcella "Maggie" Daly (1), 30, of Athlone, Co Westmeath, Ireland (2) boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger (ticket number 382650, £6, 19s) along with Bertha E. Mulvihill, also of Athlone. Maggie was travelling from Westmeath to New York City.
Miss Daly and Miss Mulvihill shared a cabin somewhere near one of the ship's boiler rooms.
She and Miss Mulvihill were put in the charge of Eugene Patrick Daly, also of Athlone, County Westmeath, for the journey to America.
After the collision with the iceberg, Eugene Daly woke the two girls and saw them safely into Lifeboat 15 just as it was being lowered. Somehow Miss Mulvihill suffered a broken rib while boarding this lifeboat, but Miss Daly boarded safely. It is unclear what happened to Eugene Daly at this point, as he was not saved along with Miss Daly and Mulvihill. Daly later claimed that the officer in charge would not allow him to board the boat, and that he saved himself by diving overboard and swimming to Collapsible B just before the ship sank.
1. Her name is sometimes mistaken as just ‘Marcella’; and she is often quoted as a sister or wife of Eugene Daly: No evidence to support this has been found.
2. Her residence is sometimes listed as Co Athlone, Ireland. This is a misconception due to her residence of the town of Athlone in Co Westmeath.
- Noel Ray (1999) List of Passengers who Boarded RMS Titanic at Queenstown, April 11, 1912. The Irish Titanic Historical Society
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Cameron Bell, Northern Ireland
- Tad Fitch, USA
- Noel Ray, Ireland
- Miss Bridget Elizabeth Mulvihill friend
- Mr Eugene Patrick Daly friend
No-one has yet adequately explained what became of Maggie Daly after 1912. She is believed to have been pictured on the deck of the Carpathia in New York before moving to the upstate area. After that, she disappears.
- Senan Molony