Margaret Russell (St. John), Countess of Bedford
|Birthplace:||Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Woburn, Bedfordshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England|
Daughter of Sir John St. John, Kt. and Margaret de St. John
|Occupation:||Countess of Bedford|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Margaret Russell, Countess of Bedford
About Margaret Russell, Countess of Bedford
Margaret St. John was the
- daughter of Sir John St. John and Margaret Waldegrave.1
- She married, firstly, William Gostwick,
- son of Sir John Gostwick,
- before 1555.1
- She married, secondly, Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford,
- son of John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford and Anne Sapcote,
- before 1556.1
- She died on 27 August 1562 at Woburn, Bedfordshire, England.1
- She was buried on 10 September 1562 at Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England.1
- From before 1555, her married name became Gostwick.1
- From before 1556, her married name became Russell.1
- As a result of her marriage, Margaret St. John was styled as Countess of Bedford before 1561.
Children of Margaret St. John and Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford
- 1.John Russell, 3rd Baron Russell+2 d. Jul 1584
- 2.Edward Russell, Lord Russell3 d. b Jun 1572
- 3.Sir Francis Russell, Lord Russell+1 d. 27 Jul 1585
- 4.Lady Elizabeth Russell+4 d. 24 Mar 1605
- 5.Lady Anne Russell4 d. 1604
- 6.William Russell, 1st Baron Russell of Thornhaugh+5 b. c 1558, d. 9 Aug 1613
- 7.Lady Margaret Russell+4 b. 7 Jul 1560, d. 22 May 1616
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 76. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 77.
- 3.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 318. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 4.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 319.
- 5.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 78.
Margaret Saint John Russell
- Birth: 1533 Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England
- Death: Aug. 27, 1572 Woburn, Bedfordshire, England
- Daughter of John Saint John and Margaret Waldegrave.
- Wife and widow of William Gostwick.
- Secondly, wife of Sir Francis Russell, the son and heir to Sir John Russell, Earl of Bedford and Anne Sapcote.
- They were married about 1546 and had four sons and three daughters:
- Edward, Lord Russell
- John, Lord Russell
- Sir Francis, Lord Russell
- William, Lord Russell of Thornhaugh
- Anne, wife of Sir Ambrose Dudley, Ealr of Warwick
- Elizabeth, wife of William Bourchier, Earl of Bath
- Margaret, wife of George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland
- Family links:
- Francis Russell (1527 - 1585)
- Elizabeth Russell Bourchier (____ - 1605)*
- Anne Russell Dudley (1548 - 1604)*
- Edward Russell (1551 - 1572)*
- John Russell (1553 - 1584)
- Burial: Chenies Churchyard, Chenies, Chiltern District, Buckinghamshire, England
MARGARET ST. JOHN (c.1524-August 27, 1562)
- Margaret St. John was the daughter of Sir John St. John of Bletsoe (1483-December 19, 1558) and Margaret Waldegrave (1491-1526).
- Her first husband, to whom she was married in 1543, was John Gostwick of Willington, Bedfordshire (1520-December 1545).
- In 1546, she married Francis Russell, 2nd earl of Bedford (1527-July 28, 1585),
• by whom she was the mother of • Edward (1551-1572), • John (c.1553-1584), • Francis (1553-July 27, 1585), • William (c.1558-August 9, 1613), • Anne (d. February 9, 1604), • Elizabeth (d. March 24, 1605), and • Margaret (1560-1616). • Charlotte Merton, in The Women who served Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, suggests that it was Margaret who infected the queen with smallpox in 1562, as Margaret died right after a visit to court. A few weeks later, the queen fell ill. **************************
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hwbradley/aqwg2901.htm#69516 Sir Francis RUSSELL Earl of Bedford [Parents] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 was born 14 1526 in Amersham, Buckinghamshire, England. He died 28 Jul 1585 in Russell House, Strand, Middlesex, England. Francis married Margaret St. JOHN on 1546 in Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England.
Other marriages: HUSSEY, Bridget Countess of Bedford
Margaret St. JOHN [Parents] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 was born 1525 in Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England. She died 27 Aug 1562 in Woburn, Bedfordshire, England. Margaret married Sir Francis RUSSELL Earl of Bedford on 1546 in Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England.
Other marriages: GOSTWICK, John Knight
They had the following children:
• M i Edward RUSSELL Lord Russell was born 1547 and died Jun 1572. • F ii Anne RUSSELL was born Dec 1548 and died 9 Feb 1604. • M iii John RUSSELL Lord Russell was born 1550 and died Jul 1584. • M iv Sir Francis RUSSELL Lord Russell 1, 2, 3, 4 was born 1553 in Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England. He died 27 Jul 1585 in Alnwick, Northumberland, England. • M v Sir William RUSSELL Lord Russell of Thornhaugh was born 1555 and died 9 Aug 1613. • F vi Elizabeth RUSSELL was born 1558 and died 24 Mar 1605. • F vii Margaret RUSSELL was born 8 Jul 1560 and died 22 May 1616.
For: Margaret St. JOHN
- 1 Richardson, Douglas, Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2004.), pp. 114, 618, Family History Library, 942 D5rd.
- 2 Cokayne, George Edward, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910.), 2:76, 3:568, 11:239, 12 (2): 403, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.721 C682.
- 3 Richardson, Douglas, Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2005.), pp. 94, 709, Family History Library, 942 D5rdm.
- 4 Harvey, William, The Visitations of Bedfordshire made in 1566, 1582, and 1634 (London: 1884.), p. 53, Los Angeles Public Library.
- 5 Brydges, Egerton, Collins's Peerage of England (London: T. Bensley, 1812.), 1:272, Family History Library, 942 D22be.
Margaret Russell, Countess of Bedford's Timeline
Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England
Of, Cheneys, Buckingham, England
Of, Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England
Of, Chenies, Buckinghamshire, England
Badby, Northamptonshire, England
October 27, 1555
London, Middlesex, England
Ratcliffe, Middlesex, England
Thornhaugh, Northamptonshire, England
July 7, 1560
Fathers House, Exeter, Devonshire, England