Margaret Elva Zukosky (Cowley)
|Also Known As:||"Eva", "Young", "Baker"|
|Birthplace:||Downey, Bannock, Idaho, United States|
|Death:||Died in Chester, Plumas County, California, United States|
|Cause of death:||Cancer|
|Place of Burial:||Cremation; ashes scattered at sea|
Daughter of James Edward Cowley and Kitty Floy Cowley
|Occupation:||Restaurateur, Tavern Operator|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Margaret Elva (Cowley) Zukosky
About Margaret Elva (Cowley) Zukosky
Margaret Eva (Cowley) Young Baker (1918 - 2000), daughter of James Edward Cowley (1876 - 1940) and Kitty Floy Hall (1892 - 1974), was born 13 February 1918 at Downey, Bannock County, Idaho; she died 21 May 2000 at the age of 82 in Idaho Falls, Bonneville County, Idaho. She married (1) Jay Alton Young (1915 - 1996) on 23 January 1938 at Westwood, Lassen, California, with whom she had two children; (2) Hiram Lee Baker, married in 1948; (3) John Zukosky, married c1979.
Marriages and Children
- Jay Alton Young (1915 - 1996), married 23 January 1938 at Westwood, Lassen County, California; divorced before 1948
- James Jay Young (born October 1938 Lassen County, California)
- Jaylene Elise Young (born 24 July 1940 Lassen County, Calfornia)
- Hiram Lee Baker (born circa 1919); married 1948, divorced 1974
- John Zukosky, married circa 1979
Obituary: Lassen County Times
Susanville, California, May 30, 2000
Margaret Elva Baker-Zukosky, 81, died Sunday, May 21, 2000, at Seneca District Hospital in Chester, Calif.
She was born Feb. 13, 1919, in Dairy Creek, Idaho. She moved to Westwood, Calif., in 1938 from Salt Lake City, Utah, to serve as a nanny for the owners of the mill. She later moved to Plumas County in the 1950s residing in Greenville and the Chester/Lake Almanor area.
She was a lifetime restauranteur and tavern operator. She leased the restaurant at Phil's Place outside Westwood for a number of years, moving to Greenville in the 19502 where she was the owner of the restaurant in the Hotel and later the Copper Hood Restaurant and Bar until purchasing the Lassen Club in Chester, Calif. in 1963 which she owned and operated for close to 40 years.
She was a member of the Clear Creek Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, she was proud of both her association with the Chester Lions Club, whom she hosted at the restaurant for over 20 years, and her honorary membership in the Outpost of the Las Plumas Del Oro Chapter 8 E. Clampus Vitus. She is a former member of the Chester-Lake Almanor Chamber of Commerce.
She was preceded in death by her former husband, Lee, in 1996, four sisters and one brother.
She is survived by her husband of 21 years, John, of Hamilton Branch, Calif.; son, James of Chico, Calif.; daughter, Jaylene Gerdes of Lincoln, Calif.; brothers, Roy Cowley of Westwood, Calif.; and Richard Cowley of Salt Lake, Utah; sister, Joyce Cowley of Belmont, Calif.; 10 grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
Services were held Saturday May 27 at the Clear Creek Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Disposition of her cremains will take place at sea at a later date.
The family requests any donations in her memory be made to Sierra Hospice c/o Fehrman Mortuary and Crematory P.O. Box 803 Greenville, Calif. 95947.
- 1920 United States Federal Census. Census Place: Daniels, Oneida, Idaho; Roll: T625_294; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 211; Image: 69. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. Original data: Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. (NARA microfilm publication T625, 2076 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA. Note: Enumeration Districts 819-839 are on roll 323 (Chicago City).
- 1930 United States Federal Census. Census Place: Chesterfield, Bannock, Idaho; Roll: 396; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 53; Image: 707.0. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2002. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1930. T626, 2,667 rolls.
- 1940 United States Federal Census. Name: Margaret E Young; Age: 22; Estimated birth year: abt 1918; Gender: Female; Race: White; Birthplace: Idaho; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Wife; Home in 1940: Westwood, Lassen, California; Street: Fir Street; Inferred Residence in 1935: New York, New York; Residence in 1935: New York, New York; Resident on farm in 1935: No; Sheet Number: 61B; Attended School or College: No; Highest Grade Completed: High School, 4th year; Weeks Worked in 1939: 0; Income: 0; Income Other Sources: No; Household Members: Jay A Young 24; Margaret E Young 22; James J Young 1; Marjorie Young 27; James E Fox 25. Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Westwood, Lassen, California; Roll: T627_218; Page: 61B; Enumeration District: 18-11. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T627, 4,643 rolls.
- California, Divorce Index, 1966-1984. Name: Margaret E Cowley; Spouse Name: Hiram L Baker; Location: Plumas; Date: Apr 1974. Source Information: Ancestry.com. California, Divorce Index, 1966-1984 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007. Original data: State of California. California Divorce Index, 1966-1984. Microfiche. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California.
- Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005. Name: Margaret E Baker; Gender: Female; Residence State: California; Spouse: John R Zukosky; Spouse residence state: California; Marriage Date: 10 Apr 1980; Marriage City: Reno; Officiant Type: Religious celebrant; Recorded Date: 15 Apr 1980; Recorded City: Reno; Book: 711-; Page: 415 8; Instrument number: 842. Source Information: Ancestry.com. Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007. Original data: Nevada State Health Division, Office of Vital Records. Nevada Marriage Index, 1966-2005. Carson City, Nevada: Nevada State Health Division, Office of Vital Records; Clark County, Nevada Marriage Bureau. Clark County, Nevada Marriage Index, 1956-1966. Las Vegas, Nevada: Clark County, Nevada Marriage Bureau.
- U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2. Name: Margaret E Zukosky; Birth Date: 13 Feb 1918; Address: 3431 Hill Crest Dr, Westwood, CA, 96137-9766. Source Information: Ancestry.com. U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Original data: Voter Registration Lists, Public Record Filings, Historical Residential Records, and Other Household Database Listings.
- Social Security Death Index: Margaret E Zukosky. Birth:Feb 13 1919; Death:May 21 2000; Last residence:Westwood, California 96137, USA.