Historical records matching Martin Mead
About Martin Mead
From the descendants of Martin Mead and Freelove Wright:
Martin married , Freelove WRIGHT on 12 Nov 1796 in Rutland, VT.
- Freelove was born  28 Oct 1774 in Rutland, VT.
Martin MEAD 
- was born  17 Mar 1767 in Nine Partners, Dutchess, NY.
- He died 6 May 1850 in Underhill, Chittenden, VT
- and was buried  in Underhill Flats Cemetary, Underhill, Chittenden, VT.
BIOGRAPHY: The Mead Line:
- Removed with his parents to West Rutland, VT. 1774, having lived with them from 1769 to 1774 at Manchester, VT.
- After his marriage in 1796 he settled in Pittsford, VT.
- Sept. 11, 1806 he bought of his brother Cary for $900 a farm of 94 acres on Brown's River in Underhill, between the Flats and the Center, ever since in possession of the family. The following March he removed thither with his wife and five children, cleared the ground himself, and built a little log house.
- When the war of 1812 came he shoulder his gun and went to the front and fought in the battle of Plattsburg, Sunday, Sept. 11, 1812. On that day his wife and children went up the hill on the south side of the river, where they distinctly heard the roar of guns. His
eldest son, Zebulon, aged fourteen, went with him as a fifer, leaving the mother to care for the farm and six children, the oldest a girl of twelve.
- In 1881, having become old and feeble, he deeded the farm to his son Seth, who cared for the aged parents as long as they lived.
- He died of gravel, the result of wet feet got in crossing over the hill to Lee River as a witness in a law-suit, and was buried in the cemetery at Underhill Flats.
- He was a Democrat in politics. Late in life he joined the Congregationalist church at Underhill.
- He was second cousin to Gen David Mead who founded Meadville, Pa.
BIOGRAPHY: From Ancestry.com:
- BIOGRAPHY: ID: I8239
- Name: Martin MEAD 1
- Sex: M
- Change Date: 15 DEC 2002
- Birth: 17 MAR 1767 1
- Death: 06 MAY 1850 1
- Census: 1810 Underhill, Chittenden County, Vermont
- Note: Martin Meed age 26-45
BIOGRAPHY: near Josiah Meed 2 Quality: 1
- Census: 1820 Underhill, Chittenden County, Vermont
- Note: Martin Mead
BIOGRAPHY: near Josiah Mead, Zebulon Mead, Joel Thrall24 Apr 2006 Modified Register for Martin MEAD Page 2 3 Quality: 1
- Father: Zebulon MEAD b: 05 OCT 1729 in Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Mother: Mercy CARY b: BET 1734 AND 1735
- Marriage 1 Freelove WRIGHT b: 28 OCT 1773
- Married: 1797 1
- Title: History and Genealogy of the Mead Family of Fairfield County, Connecticut , Eastern New York, Western Vermont and Western Pennsylvania from A.D. 1180 to 1900
- Abbrev: History and Genealogy of the Mead Family
- Author: Spencer P. Mead
- Publication: 1901, The Knickerbocker Press, New York
- Repository: Name: Allen County Public Library
- Note: Phone2: 260/422-9688 fax
- Homepage: http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/
- BIOGRAPHY: Page: 339; Recorded 28 Jan 2002
- Title: 1810 US Census Vermont Chittenden County, Record Info: from
ancestry.co m via Robin
- Abbrev: 1810 US Census Vermont Chittenden County
- Publication: 1810
- Page: page 174, Martin Mead household
- Title: 1820 US Census Vermont Chittenden County, Record Type: census,
Film: Microfilm #127
- Abbrev: 1820 US Census Vermont Chittenden County
- Publication: 1820
&Page: page 140, Martin Mead household
They had the following children:
- + 2 M i. Zebulon MEAD was born 3 May 1798 and died 15 Jun 1866.
- + 3 M ii. Martin MEAD was born 24 Aug 1802.
- + 4 F iii. Lucy MEAD was born 14 Mar 1800 and died 24 Dec 1866.
- + 5 F iv. Chloe MEAD was born 12 Aug 1804 and died 20 May 1869.
- + 6 F v. Mercy MEAD was born 11 Jan 1807 and died 26 Dec 1881.
- + 7 M vi. Seth Wright MEAD was born 21 Feb 1810.
- + 8 F vii. Melissa Louise MEAD was born 19 Apr 1812.
- + 9 F viii. Caroline MEAD was born 16 Jun 1815.
- + 10 M ix. Simeon McKenzie MEAD was born 27 Nov 1817.
- + 11 M x. Henry Cary MEAD was born 20 Aug 1820
1. Mackenzie, George Norbury, Ancestry.com. Colonial Families in the U.S. [database online]. Orem, UT: MyFamily.com, Inc., 1999. Original data: Mackenzie, George Norbury, Ed. Colonial Families of the United States of America. New York: 1907. (Ancestry.com), Mead, Martin.
- MARTIN MEAD, of Underhill, Vermont;
- b. in New York State, 17th March, 1767;
- d. 6th May, 1850;
- was a private in the War of 1812 in the Connecticut Militia;
- m. in Pittsford, Vermont, 12th November, 1797, Freelove WRIGHT, b. 28th
October, 1773, d. 24th November, 1858.
- I. Zebulon, b. 13th May, 1798; m. 20th December, 1818, Delia BICKNELL.
- II. Lucy, b. 19th March, 1800; d. 1866; m. September, 1819, William LARRABEE.
- III. MARTIN, b. 29th August, 1802, of whom later.
- IV. Chloe, b. 12th August, 1804; d. 21st May, 1869; m. 1824, Josiah F. PALMER, b. 10th June, 1802, d. 14th April, 1871.
- V. Mercy, b. 11th January, 1807; m. 14th January, 1830, Calvin MORSE.
- [p.388] VI. Seth W., b. 21st February, 1810; m. Elutha J. DAY.
- VII. Melissa L., b. 19th April, 1812; m. 9th February, 1837, Cyrus PACKARD.
- VIII. Caroline, b. 16th June, 1815; m. S. M. WELLS, of Waukesha County, Wisconsin.
- IX. Simeon M., b. 27th November, 1817; d. 1912; m. Sarah LOWE."
2. The Mead Line. "Cites "Mead's Genealogy of the Mead Family, 1901, p. 339 and Family traditions from Mercy Jane Wilbur."
3. The Mead Line, Wright, Freelove. "Cites family traditions and recollections of Mercy Jane Wilbur."
4. Lafayette Wilbur, Life of Lafayette Wilbur (Jerico, VT: K.C. Butler Press, 1881). Lafayette Wilbur is married to one of the Mead Grandchildren (Mercy Jane Morse) and is writing while they are all alive to verify. "Marriage by Rev. S. Haines."
Martin Mead's Timeline
March 17, 1767
Nine Partner's Patent, Dutchess County, Province of New York
March 19, 1800
Underhill, Chittenden County, Vermont, United States
August 29, 1802
Vermont, United States