About Mary Ethel Benton
Mary Ethel Benton (Bottum) and her husband, Morris Fuller Benton, had two daughters, Elizabeth (b. 1898) and Caroline (b. 1902). See a photo (posted to Geni) taken about 1910 of Mary reading to the two girls.
On September 1, 1897, after a three- year engagement, Morris Benton married Ethel Bottum, the daughter of his father’s patent attorney.
The young couple took up residence in a small, somewhat dingy apartment on Staten Island, ten blocks away from the senior Bentons. Each morning, Morris and his father would meet and take the ferry to New York City. The foundry was at that time on the southernmost tip of Manhattan. Ethel was alone all day, and when her ﬁrst daughter, Elizabeth Boyd, was born the following year, she became terribly lonesome. Caroline explained, ‘‘She didn’t know anybody, not a soul, on Staten Island.’’ Shortly after the baby’s birth, the young family moved in with Boyd and Jessie, who had recently bought a large Victorian house at 19 Central Avenue in Thompkinsville, Staten Island. Another daughter, Caroline, was born in 1902. The two families lived together on Staten Island for nine years.
After ATF moved to Communipaw Avenue in Jersey City, N.J., in 1903, Boyd and Morris decided to leave Staten Island and move closer to the company. They eventually chose Plainﬁeld, N.J., for its schools and because it was famous for its clean artesian well water. In 1906 Boyd rented a home for the whole family, a large Victorian house at 131 Crescent Avenue. About two years later he bought a house with three and a half acres of lawn and gardens at 107 Crescent Avenue. Boyd had always wanted a large family, and both he and Jessie were pleased with the three-generation arrangement.
Source: Cost, Benton, c. 2010, p. 31. Downloaded 2012 from a PDF online at http://