Mary Molsey Blount (Grainger)
Daughter of Caleb Caleb Grainger, Col.
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Mary Blount (Grainger)
About Mary Blount (Grainger)
Mary Grainger Blount
- Birth: 1761
- Death: Oct. 7, 1802 Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, USA
- Mary Grainger Blount (1761-1802) was as beloved by the people of the region as was her husband, William Blount.
- The city of Maryville was named in her honor as well as Grainger County, Tennessee.
- The county of Blount was named in honor of William.
- A small college started on a hill in the city was named Blount College in his honor and evolved into what is known today as the University of Tennessee.
- There are no known photos of Mary Blount.
- William Blount was the Territorial Governor of Tennessee, a US Senator, and a Signer of the US Constitution. Born in North Carolina, the son of Jacob Blount and Barbara Gray, he became instrumental in the establishment of Tennessee as a state.
- William and Mary married on February 12, 1778.
- Mary was the daughter of Caleb Grainger.
- They had seven children:
- Ann (wife of Henry I. Toole)
- Mary Eliza (wife of Joseph Lawrence and later Weeks Hadley)
- Mary Louisa (wife of Pleasant M. Miller)
- William Grainger
- Richard Blackledge
- Barbara (wife of Edmund Pendleton Gaines)
- Eliza (wife of Edwin Wiatt).
- Mary died at 41 years old. (bio by: holly k)
- Family links:
- Spouse: William Blount (1749 - 1800)*
- Mary Louisa Blount Miller (1782 - 1847)*
- William Grainger Blount (1784 - 1827)*
- Barbara Grainger Blount Gaines (1792 - 1836)*
- Inscription: Wife of William Blount
- Note: Age 41 years.
- Burial: First Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, USA
Mary Blount (Grainger)'s Timeline
New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina, United States
North Carolina, United States