Mary Clark (Ward)
|Also Known As:||"Mary (Ward) Fletcher"|
|Birthplace:||Stretton, Rutland, England|
|Death:||Died in Farmington, Hartford Colony, Connecticut|
Daughter of Richard Ward, of Stretton and First wife of Richard Ward
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Mary Clark
About Mary Clark
Disconnected errant spouses Johnson and Green - 6/20/2016.
Mary Ward (daughter of Richard Ward and 1st Wife of Richard Ward (Name Unknown) was born Abt. 1607 in Stretton, Rutland, England, and died 22 Jan 1677/78 in Farmington, Hartford, CT. She married John Fletcher on abt. 1632 son of Robert Fletcher and Rose. Married 2nd to John Clark of Milford (d 1674).
- Mary b: ABT 1634. Married Thomas Stevens.
- Rebecca b: 1635 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, CT. Married 1) Andrew Warner 2) Jeremy Adams
- Sarah b c: 1641 in Milford, New Haven County, CT. Married John Stanley.
- Hannah b: 1643 in Milford, New Haven County, CT. Married John Chittenden.
- Elizabeth c: 1645 in Milford, New Haven County, CT. Married Elnathan Botsford.
- Samuel b: 1649 in Milford, New Haven County, CT. Died young.
- Abigail b: 1652 in Milford, New Haven County, CT.
John Clark mentioned "Brother Coley" in his will, probably a fellowship/church brother. He did not marry a Mary Coley.
Regarding Mary Ward, wife of John Fletcher, Ernest Flagg, in Genealogical Notes on the Founding of New England [Clearfield Co., Hartford, CT 1926], she was the daughter of Richard Ward and his first wife, unknown (not Joyce). He goes on to state, "Mrs. Fletcher m (2), John Clark of Saybrook, Norwich and Milford. '1665 John Clark dismissed from Norwich was admitted and ordained ruling Elder June 4:73 and died ffebruary 5:73.' In her will, Mrs. Clark says: 'I give to my son-in-law John standly and daughter Sarah his wife the one half of All my land in millford woodland earable and meddow except my homstead to be equally devided,' etc . . . 'my daughter Abegall fletcher to be my whole and Sole executrix. Original on file at State Library, Hartford, and dated Nov. 28, 1677."
Mary and her daughter, Mary, "granddaughter of the deceased" are mentioned in the 1635 will of Richard Ward, and in the 1640 will of Joyce Ward. Son-in-law, John Fletcher, was named as executor of the will of Joyce Ward.
Mary m. 2) John Clark of Milford, d. 1674.
In her will of 1679 at Farmington, she mentioned daughters Mary Stevens; Rebecca, wife of the second Andrew Warner; Hannah, wife of John Chittenden of Guilford; Sarah, wife of John Stanley; Abigail, unm.; and Elizabeth, wife of Elnathan Botsford. (Savage)
Will; 28 Nov 1677; Farmington, Hartford Co., CT 5. Clarke, Mary, Farmington. Invt. £273-05-06. Taken 26 February, 1678 by Thomas X Tibbets sen., Samuel Burwell, Samuel Newton, Elezer Rogers. Invt. at Farminton, £32-16-00. Taken 14 Feb 1678 by John Norton, Thomas X Barnes, John Woodruffe. Will dated 28 Nov 1677.
I Mary Clarke of Farmington do make this my ast Will & Testament: I give to my daughter Mary Stevens £16, to my daughter Rebeckah Warner £16, to my daughter Chittingdon £15-15. I give unto my son-in-Law Elnathan Bochford 5 Shillings, to my gr. child Elizabeth Bochford £5. I give unto the Rev. Pastor Newton 5 Shillings. I give unto my brother John Ward of Newark 20 Shilings. I give unto my gr. Child Rebeckah Stevens a pewter platter. I give unto my gr. Child Mary Warner a pewter platter. I give unto my gr. child Abigail Standly a featherbed. I give unto my gr. child Elizabeth Chittingdon a bason. I give unto my gr. child Elizabeth Standly my Chest. I give unto my son-in-law John Standly and my daughter Sarah his wife the 1/2 of all my :Lands in Milford, woodland, earable & Meadow, except my Homestead, to be equally divided. My Will is that my sonn Standly shall have £4-10 by the year paid to him out of the Rent of the Lands at Milford during the Lease of Nathaniel Farand. I give unto my daughter Abigail Fletcher my House, Barn & Homelott, & the 1/2 of all my land in Milford, to be equally divided, that is to say, woodland, Earable Land & Meadow, that is to say, to her & her natural heirs. My Will is that if she dyes without Issue, that the 1/2 of aforementioned house and Lands shall return to be equally divided betwixt my 4 daughters. And further I give unto her all my Household Goods that is at Milford that is not divided and disposed of; & if she dye, the forementioned Estate Willed to her shall be divided equally between my four daughters, with this proviso, that my daughter Rebeckah Warner shall have £10 more than any of the rest of my daughters, Mary, Rebeckah, Sarah, & Hannah, it shall be equally divided amongst them. I appoint my daughter Abigail Fletcher to be my whole and sole Executrix. And I do desire Honoed Major Robert Treate & Mr. Samuel Eales to be Overseers. Mary X Clarke, L.S. Witness: Robert Porter, John Loomis.
Court Record, page 12 -- 6 Mar 1678/9: Will proven. Will signed as Mary Clarke, John Clarke being her second husband.
- born 1610 in Stretton, Rutland, England
- died 22 Jan 1679 in Farmington, Hartford, Connecticut
- parents: Richard Ward & 1st wife of Richard Ward (not Joyce)
- Deacon John FLETCHER on 1632 in Stretton, Rutland, England
- John CLARK on 1663 in Farmington, Hartford, Connecticut; his 2nd wife
Children by 1st husband:
- F i Mary FLETCHER was christened 10 May 1633 and died 24 Oct 1683.
- F ii Rebecca FLETCHER 1, 2 was born 1637 in Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut.
- F iii Sarah FLETCHER was christened 31 Oct 1641 and died 15 May 1713.
- F iv Hannah FLETCHER was christened 9 Jul 1643.
- F v Elizabeth FLETCHER 1, 2 was christened Oct 1645 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut.
- M vi Samuel FLETCHER 1, 2 was christened 29 Jul 1649 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut. He died 2 Sep 1669 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut.
- F vii Abigail FLETCHER 1, 2 was christened 13 Jun 1652 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut.
- Born Abt 1612 of, Great Munden, Hertford, England
- Christened of Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States
- Immigration 13 Jun 1630 Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
- Died 22 Jan 1678 Farmington, Hartford, Connecticut, United States
- Buried Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, United States
- 1632 Old Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States [1, 4, 5, 6, 11] to Family John Clark, Sr. b. 1590-1595, , Uffington, Shropshire, England d. 5 Feb 1673, Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, United States (Age 78 years)
- + 1. Sarah Clark b. 24 Jun 1633, of Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States d. 21 Sep 1721, , , Connecticut, United States (Age 88 years)
- 2. Joseph Clark b. Jun 1636, of Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States d. 27 Aug 1663, , , , Atlantic Ocean (Age ~ 27 years)
- 3. Rebecca Clark, (Younger) b. 1638, , , Hertfordshire, England d. , , , England
Mary Clark's Timeline
Stretton, Rutland, England
May 10, 1633
Stretton, Rutland , England
Wethersfield, Connecticut Colony
October 31, 1641
Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
July 9, 1643
July 29, 1649
Milford, New Haven , Connecticut
June 13, 1652
Milford, New Haven, Connecticut