Mary Clifton (unknown)
|Also Known As:||"Mary Longbotham Butterworth Clifton"|
|Birthplace:||Rehoboth, Nottinghamshire, , England|
|Death:||Died in Newport, Newport, Rhode Island, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Clifton Burying Ground|
Daughter of Unknown Unknown and Unknown Unknown
|Managed by:||Elizabeth Goldgraber|
Matching family tree profiles for Mary Clifton
About Mary Clifton
She married, first, on Feb 2,1626/7 at Halifax, Yorkshire, Henry Butterworth.
She married, second, shortly after Jan 28,1640/1, Thomas Clifton.
Children(by first marriage): John Butterworth, Abraham Butterworth, Mary Butterworth Mason, Samuel Butterworth, and Henry Butterworth. NOTE: Older information names a daughter Sarah, born c1623, who married Pardon Tillinghast. However, she was born four years before the marriage of Henry and Mary, so she may not even be of the Butterworth family.
Children(by second marriage): Patience Clifton Beere/Berry Allen and Hope Clifton Holder. Some sources say the Mary Clifton Bowen was a daughter of hers, but Mary was born in 1628 (well before the marriage of Thomas Clifton and Mary), and she may have been a daughter of Thomas Clifton by a prior wife.
- 'The genealogical dictionary of Rhode Island: comprising three generations of ... By John Osborne Austin, George Andrews Moriarty
- The genealogical dictionary of Rhode Island: comprising three generations of ... By John Osborne Austin, George Andrews Moriarty
- Pg. 48
- 'THOMAS CLIFTON. b. 1606 d. 1681, Jul. 9, mar. 1641 MARY BUTTERWORTH b. 1600 d. 1687, Jan. 26. ch': I. Hope d. 1681 Jan 16 mar. 1665 Dec. 30 Christopher Holder, II. Patience b. 1646, Jul 2. d. 1692, Oct. 16, 1mar. 1664, Sep. 4. John Beere, 2mar. 1677, May 16. William Allen.
- 'New England marriages prior to 1700 By Clarence Almon Torrey, Elizabeth Petty Bentley
- New England marriages prior to 1700 By Clarence Almon Torrey, Elizabeth Petty Bentley
- Pg. 162
- 'CLIFTON, Thomas (1606-1681) & Mary [BUTTERWORTH] (1600, 1606-1681, 1687), w Henry; aft 18 Jan 1640/1; Rehoboth/Newport
The Butterworth Family
Henry Butterworth was born ca 1598-1600, possibly in Rochdale, Lacastershire, England. While still in England, in married Mary (____) ca 1620. Henry died ca 1640 in Weymouth, Norfolk County, Massachusetts. It is not known when or how he came to America, but his brother, Samuel is also to be found in Weymouth and Rehoboth town records.
His wife, Mary, remarried in 1641 to Thomas Clifton, a Quaker, by whom she had two daughters, Hope and Patience. They moved to Newport, Rhode Island where Mary died on January 26, 1687/8.
* Sex: F
* Born: 1600
* Died: 26 JAN 1687 in Newport,Newport,RI
* Reference: 1675
Family 1: Henry Butterworth, b. 1598/1600 in Rochdale,Lancaster,England
* Married: FEB 1626 in Halifax,York,England
1. Mary Butterworth
2. Abraham Butterworth
3. John Butterworth, b. ABT 1630 in Rochdale,Lancaster,England
4. Sarah Butterworth, b. ABT 1640 in MA
Family 2: Thomas Clifton
* Married: 1641 in Weymouth,MA
1. Hope Clifton
2. Patience Clifton, b. 2 JUL 1646
Mary Clifton's Timeline
Rehoboth, Nottinghamshire, , England
Heppinshire, Yorkshire, Halifax, England
Rochdale, Greater Manchester, UK
January 18, 1628
December 30, 1631
July 1, 1646
January 30, 1662
Possibly Swansea, Bristol County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)
January 26, 1687
Newport, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
March 27, 1961