Mary Coffyn (Cole)
|Birthplace:||Knoston, Exeter, Devon, England|
|Death:||Died in Monkleigh, Devon, England|
|Place of Burial:||Monkleigh, Devon, England, United Kingdom|
|Managed by:||Linda Sue|
Matching family tree profiles for Mary Coffyn
view all 13
About Mary Coffyn
- Sir James Coffyn
- Birth: unknown
- Death: 1566, England
- 1566 James Coffyn esq Lord of the Manor
- Born c1540 in Alwington, son of Richard Coffyn and Wilmot Chudleigh of Ashton
- He married firstly Mary Cole of Knowston by whom he had
- 1. Peter Tristram b1555 in Alwington,
- He married secondly Elizabeth Ede by whom he had, ,.
- 1. Mary b1560 in Marsh near Honiton
- 2. Elizabeth 'the Older' b1563 in Marsh 3. Wilmot b1563 in Marsh
- 4. Elizabeth 'the Younger' b1565
- Family links:
- Anne Knyvett St Leger (1475 - 1559)*
- Burial: Monkleigh Cemetery, Bideford, Torridge District, Devon, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 73381608
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73381608
- The visitation of the county of Devon in the year 1620 by Colby, Frederic Thomas
- Rich. Coffin of Portlinch = Elizb. d. of Leonard Loveys Esq. ; ch: Richard (, 2), Leonard (, 3), Edward (, 4), James (, 5), Henry (, 6), Edm. (, 7), Will'm (, 8), John (m. Elizb. Hurding) Coffin
- John Coffin of Portlinch, living = Elizb. d. of Hen. Hurding in com. Dorset Esq. ; ch: Jane, Elizabeth Coffin
- Richard Coffin of Portlinch in com. Devon Esq. = d. of Chudley ; ch: John (m. Mary Cary), Edward (2 =), James (m. Mary Cole) Coffin
- Edward, 2 =
- James, 3 = Mary d. of Cole of Knowston in com. Devon
- John Coffin of Portlinch Esq. s. & h. = Mary d. of Robt. Cary of Clovelly ; ch: Richard (m. d. of Leonard Loveys), John (m. Grace Berrie), Mary (m. John Woollocom), Prudence (m. _ Berrie), Willmot (m. Wm. Addington) Coffin
- Richard Coffin of Portlinch = d. of Leonard Loveys of Ugber in Cornw. Esq.
- Mary = John Woollocom of Combe in Devon Esq.
- Prudence = Berrie of Berrie in Erbor Esq.
- Willmot = Wm. Addington of Horlebury in Essex Esq.
- John Coffin, 2 of Goldworthy in com. Devon gent. = Grace d. of Rich. Berrie of Berrie in Erbor ; ch: Giles (2, æt. about 10), Nicholas (3, æt. 7), Humphrie (s. & h., æt. 15, 1620) Coffin
- The life of Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin, baronet, his English and American ancestors; (1886)
- .... At Monkley, about ten miles east from Portlege, one of the homes of its junior branches, dwelt at the time James, son of Richard and Miss Chudleigh, whose brother John married Mary Cary. His wife, Mary Cole, was the near kinswoman of William, who married Radigan, daughter of Nicholas Boscawen. Tristram named his sons after his ancestors, James was his fourth son. These circumstances amount to nothing as proof, but may lead to it, or perhaps confirm the conclusion of Mr. Allen Coffin, that the connection with Alwington, if any, is much more remote. Near the close will be found an article on this and other kindred topics, portions of which by his permission I insert.
- .... It will be seen that in the sixth generation John Coffin married Philippa, daughter and co-heiress of Phillip Kingston, His eldest son Richard, Sheriff of Devon in 1511 (2 Hen. VIII.), married Wilmot, daughter of Sir Richard Chudleigh, famous in legal annals as party in a leading case which bears his name. This marriage took place about 1510, The Sheriff had three sons, John, James, and Edward. The second, James, born as late as 1512, might well have been father of Peter, who, about 1562, married Mary Boscawen. Their son Nicholas, if born in 1563, .... etc.
- The best known of the brothers of the Sheriff, Sir William, born about 1480, going to Court, stood high in the estimation of Henry the Eighth. .... He married Margaret, the daughter of Sir George Dimock, the champion of England, and from her, after his death the wife of Richard Manners, descended the later Dukes of Rutland. .... At Standon, a royal manor, of which he was high steward when he died in 1538, stands his monument. He left no children, and by his will devised his lands to his brother Richard's sons, bequeathed his hawks, hounds, and hunting gear to the King. His brothers James and Thomas had children, but the dates confirm the view that his nephew, James, and Mary Cole were the parents of Peter, who married Mary Boscawen.
- .... etc.
Mary Coffyn's Timeline
Exeter, Devon, England
December 15, 1566
Monkleigh, Devon, England
Monkleigh, Devon, England, United Kingdom