Mary Griffin (Capen)
|Also Known As:||"Mary Baker"|
|Birthplace:||Haverhill, Essex, MA, USA|
|Death:||Died in Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Waters-Goffe Cemetery, Sutton, Worcester Co, MA|
Daughter of Rev. Joseph Capen, Sr. and Priscilla Capen (Appleton)
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
About Mary Griffin
- 'The Essex antiquarian: an illustrated ... magazine devoted to the ..., Volume 5 edited by Sidney Perley
- Pg. 158
- BAKER GENEALOGY.
- The principal family of Bakers in Essex county is that which originated in this country with
- JOHN BAKER1 of Ipswich. He was born in 1598, and April 9, 1616, was apprenticed to a grocer in Norwich, England, for twelve years, to learn that business. In 1628 he was a citizen of Norwich, and engaged as a grocer. He married Elizabeth ___, who was born about 1606, and in 1637 came to New England, intending to settle in Charlestown, but came to Ipswich instead. In 1638 he possessed a house lot on High street, in Ipswich, and was made a freeman June 2, 1641. He was a man of prominence and property, and was licensed to sell wine in 1644 and 1647, and beer in 1652, being an innholder in 1664, 1665 and 1666. He bought an extensive tract of land in Topsfield, and removed thither between 1670 and 1678, being of Topsfield in 1689, He died in 168_. His wife Elizabeth was living in 1666. Mr. Baker conveyed his hundred-and-fifty acre farm and buildings in Topsfield, bounded on Baker's (now called Hood's) pond, to his son Thomas in 1661.
- Richard Baker wrote from Norwich, England, March 2, 1676, ordering his cousin Mr. John Baker to pay some money to John's brother Benjamin Baker. No Benjamin Baker appears here in those early days, and this Benjamin was probably a brother who was here on a visit.
- CAPT. THOMAS BAKER2, born in Norwich, England Sept. 13, 1636. He was made a freeman in 1665; was interested in the iron works in Rowley Village, and lived in Topsfield. He married Priscilla Symonds March 26, 1672; and died in Topsfield March 18, 1717-8, aged eighty-one. After is death, his widow removed to Ipswich, where she died Jan. 2, 1733-4, aged eighty-five. They owned Argilla farm in Ipswich.
- Pg. 159
- ' CAPT. THOMAS BAKER3, born in Topsfield Feb. 17, 1688. He was a husbandman, and lived in Ipswich until 1715, when he removed to Topsfield, buying, in 1722, what is now known as the Batchelder farm on the south side of Pye Brook. he married Mary Capen Jan. 5, 1709-10; and died in Topsfield Sept. __, 1725. She married, secondly, John Griffin of Bradford Aug. 11, 1730.
- Children: --
- 19-I. THOMAS4, b. Nov. 20, 1710, in Ipswich. See below (19).
- 20-II. MARY4, b. 13: 5: 1712, in Ipswich; living in 1729.
- 21-III. JACOB4, bapt. 28: 9: 1714, in Ipswich; carpenter (?); lived in Boxford; m. Kezia Smith Aug. 5, 1736; no children; administration on his estate granted Aug. 22, 1737; and she m., secondly, Abner Hale of Boxford Nov. 24, 1738.
- 22-IV. JOSEPH4, b. May 3, 1716, in Topsfield. See below (22).
- 23-V. PRISCILLA4 , b. April 14, 1718, in Topsfield; d. May 17, 1719.
- 24-VI. JOHN4, b. Dec. 18, 1719, in Topsfield. See below (24).
- 25-VII. MARTHA4, b. about 1715 (?); m. John Whipple, jr., of Ipswich May 14, 1735.
- 26-VIII. ELIZABETH4, b. March 23, 1723, in Topsfield; m. John Low of Hamlet parish, Ipswich, cooper, Feb. 4, 1740-1; and was living in 1752.
- 27-IX. PRISCILLA4, b. Aug. 4, 1724, in Topsfield; m. Tarrant Putnam of Salem, yeoman, Dec. 9, 1742; and they were living in Sutton in 1753.
Birth: Aug. 4, 1724 Topsfield Essex County Massachusetts, USA Death: Mar. 16, 1812 Sutton Worcester County Massachusetts, USA
Spouse: Tarrant Putnam (1716 - 1794)* Children: Priscilla Putnam Brown (1751 - 1837)* Sarah Putnam Merriam (1753 - 1835)*
- Calculated relationship
Burial: Waters-Goffe Cemetery Sutton Worcester County Massachusetts, USA Plot: Her grave is in the back right hand corner of the cemetery near the stone wall.
Maintained by: kdkb Originally Created by: P Fazzini Record added: Feb 07, 2011 Find A Grave Memorial# 65319376 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=65319376
1/10/2015 Found on famouskin.com. CTC: Mary Capen 8th Generation — 5th Great-grandmother of Calvin Coolidge
Ahnentafel No: 183 Father: Rev. Joseph Capen Mother: Priscilla Appleton Birth Date: Birth Location: Christening Date: 17 Feb 1688/1689 Christening Location: Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts Death Date: 7 Oct 1747 Death Location: Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts Burial Date: Burial Location: Spouse Name: Capt. Thomas Baker Jr. Marriage Date: 5 Jan 1709/1710 Marriage Location: Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts Child: Priscilla Baker
Additional marriages for Mary Capen
John Griffin Marriage Date: 11 Aug 1730 Marriage Location: Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts
Sources for Mary Capen 1 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Topsfield Marriages, Vol. 1, p. 119, Marriage record for Mary Capen and Thomas Baker. 2 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Bradford Marriages, Vol. 1, p. 213, Marriage record for wid. Mary Baker and John Griffin. 3 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Topsfield Deaths, Vol. 1, p. 226, Death record for wid. Mary Griffin. 4 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Topsfield Births, Vol. 1, p. 22, Baptism for Mary Capen. 5 Bass, Charissa Taylor, Descendants of Deacon Samuel and Ann Bass, Freeport, IL: Privately printed (1940), 8, Heritage Quest (Digital Library). 6 Mudge, Florence A., John Mudge and Hannah Hutchinson, First Settlers of Plymouth, Vermont, Danvers, Massachusetts?: Unknown (1930), 12, Heritage Quest (Digital Library). 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States: Who Were Themselves Notable or Left Descendants Notable in American History, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008), 566.
Mary Griffin's Timeline
February 7, 1689
Haverhill, Essex, MA, USA
November 20, 1710
Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
August 4, 1724
Topsfield, Essex, MA, USA
March 16, 1728
Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts
Waters-Goffe Cemetery, Sutton, Worcester Co, MA