Matching family tree profiles for Mary Butler
About Mary Butler
Not to be confused with her husband's aunt, Mary Brewer
Mary Drake was born abt 1590 in London, Middlesex, England, and died in Virginia Colony, America. She was, most likely, the daughter of John Drake of Cheapside (in London) & Margery Allen his wife.
- John M. BREWER 12 Feb 1614 in Middlesex Co., England, son of Thomas BREWER and Ann DRAKE. He was born 1594 in Chard, Somerset, England, and died 1635 in Isle of Wight Co., Virginia.
- She married Thomas BUTLER.
- John ll Brewer married Anne Skinner
John Brewer I died in Virginia in 1635 and his widow soon afterwards married Rev. Thomas Butler "Clark and Parson of Denbie", or later Warwick County. Thomas died in 1637.
It is believed that Mary was the daughter of John Drake of Cheapside (in London) & his wife Margery Allen based on the Will of Roger Drake of the Citty of London Esq. proved 8 Mar 1651/2:
Among others, the following family members are mentioned:
- my deare and loving wife Margarett
- my loveing sonnes Roger Drake and Richard Drake
- my two sonnes John and William Drake
- Margarett Drake the daughter of my sonn Roger Drake
- Hester an other of the daughters of my said sonne Roger Drake
- Sarah Drake an other of the daughters of my sonne Roger
- John Drake and Roger Drake sonnes of my sonne John Drake
- Roger Drake sonne of my cosen [nephew] John Drake
- >>> Mary Drake sister of the said John
- my cosen [nephew] Lawrence Drake
- my cosen [nephew] Richard Drake
The speculation (see below) that she was the daughter of of Roger Drake, of Bread Street (in London) (John's brother) is because of will wording; Roger Drake is the same person mentioned in the will of John Brewer as his "loving uncle Mr. Roger Drake, citizen and clothworker of London." But Roger Drake was actually his wife's uncle and therefore John Brewer's uncle by marriage.
Thomas' son John was the Brewer who came to Colonial Va. in the mid 1620's. Earlier Brewer biographies have stated that he came with his father a decade earlier, but the name Thomas Brewer does not appear in any Va. records until the late 1640's and then in connection with another family.
Little is known of his early life, but his later accomplishments suggest he was reasonable well educated. Va. land patents and his will simply identify his wife as "Mary" or "Marie" providing no hint as to her maiden name. Prof. Boyd's Marriage Register of England cites the marriage of John Brewer to Mary Drake in 1615, St. Vedast, London. Earlier biographies of John have confused his marriage with that of his Uncle, John Brewer, who married Mary Grove.. They were married in 1596, the approximate year of the younger John's birth.
John Boodie in his 17th Century Isle of Wight Co, Va. supplies an abstract of John Drake's 1623 London will, in which he makes bequeaths to Margaret Drake, wife of his brother Roger, and to John (John II)and Margaret, the children of john Brewer, grocer of London, and his wife Mary. John Drake was the brother of the Anne Drake who married Thomas Brewer, son of William Brewer the physician. His brother Roger Drake is the same "Uncle Roger Drake" that John Brewer named as guardian to his children in his 1635 will. In all probability, Mary Drake, Brewer was his daughter.