About Mary Hall
As noted in sources, Mary was 2nd wife of John Hall of MIDDLETOWN
From MIDDLETOWN UPPER HOUSES, a history of the north society of Middletown, Ct. from 1650 to 1800 with genealogical and biographical chapters on early families, by Charles Collard Adams, published by New York: Grafton Press, 1908. Chapter on THE HALL FAMILY
1. John Hall,, born in Co. Kent, England, had married Esther ____, who died in England. He was described in the Roxbury church records, 1638, as "Mr." and when he reached Hartford he was known as "John Hall, Senior," because the John Hall who had accompanied Mr. Oldham in his 1633 excursion to Windsor, was younger. This John Hall removed from Hartford to New Haven and then to Wallingford. Mr. James Shepard of New Britain, in his pamphlet, has cleraly distinquished between the two Johns who resided at the same time, though only for a few years, in Hartford.
The deed of William Bloomfield to John Hall, Senior, October 12, 1642, and never recorded, descended from John Hall, Sr., through his son Samuel of the Upper Houses, to his descendant, Mr. David A. Hall of Portland, Conn., who kindly furnished it for this volume. It is in the handwriting of Deacon William Andrews, then schoolmaster in Hartford. It has been rendered into plain English by Mr. James Shepard and reads as follows:
William Bloomfield to John Halle Senior
October 12, 1642.
This Indenture made the twelfth day of the eighth month one thousand six hundred forty & twoe between William Bloomfield of Hartford, Taylor within the iursdiction of Conectecot upon the river on the one part & John Halle Seniro of the same town & jurisdiction, Carpenter, on the other part, witnesseth that the sayde William Bloomfield hath bargayned & sould unto the aforesayde John Hall about three rods or an acre of grounds of his home lotte, the north side of it abutting upon the high way next the river, the south side of it upon the ground of Joseph Migat, the west side upon the grounds of the aforesaid John Halle the elder & John Wilcocke & the east side of it upon the ground of the aforesayd William Bloomfield, to have & to hold the grounds aforesayde to him & his heirs forever. And the aforesayde John Halle for himself Executors Administrators & Assigns doth covenant and remise to & with this aftersayde William Bloomfield his Executors, Administrators & Assigns that he the aforesayd John Hall his Executors Administrators & Assigns shall make & mayntaine a sufficient fence between the said WilliM Bloomfield and himself from the highway northward to the fence of Joseph Migat southward and also to mayntaine eight or none rods of fencing more between the aforesayd Joseph Migat & himself. And the aforesayd John Hall doth furhter conenant & remise to & with the aforesayde William Bloomfield to frame & set up the aforesayde William Bloomfield one barne twenty foote long & fourteen foote wide the st-d to be ten foote high between the ground still & the reising, at or before the fifteenth day of the first month next ensuing the day of the date hereof. And the sayde John Halle for himself his heirs Executors Administrators & Assigns doth further covenant & remise to and with the aforesayd William Bloomfield his heirs Executors Administrators & Assigns to grant unto him or some of them, one coew calf at or before the fifteenth day of November next or thirty shillings, wch of them, the aforesayde William Bloomfield, shall best like of within three months after he shall refuse the syde calfe. In witness to the truth hereof the parties abovesayde interchangeably have put to their hands & seals, the day & year above written.
- William Bloomfield
Sealed & delivered in the presence of us
- Willm Andrewes
- Abigail Andrewes
- John Andrewes.
He was surveyor of highways in Hartford in 1650, in which year he removed with his children to Middletown. He died May 26, 1673, in the 89th year of his age. In his will, dated May 14, 1672, he says he is 89 years old and that it was the fortieth year of his being in New England. In 1659 he was appointed by the General Court for "the entry and recording of such goods as may be subject to custom." His sons were John, Samuel and Richard.
- m. (1) Ann Wilcox, dau of John Wilcox, who d. July 20, 1673, in her fiftieth year;
- m. (2) Mary (Curtice) Hubbard, widow of Thomas Hubbard, of Upper Houses, who d. June 29, 1709.
He was one of the first three deacons elected in 1670, town recorder from 1659 to 1691. He d. Jan. 22, 1695.
His gravestone bears only capital letters and the inscription reads:
- Here Lies ovr Deacon Hall
- Who Stvdied Peace With All
- Void of Malignant Strife
- Vpright and Jvst His Life
- Gone to His Rest Left vs in Sorrow
- Dovbtless His Good Name Will Follow.