Mary Elizabeth Rice (Claiborne)
|Also Known As:||"Harris", "Royce"|
|Birthplace:||Essex, England or, New Kent or Hanover County, Virginia Colony|
|Death:||Died in Doswell, Hanover County, Province of Virginia|
Daughter of Col. William C. Claiborne and Jane Elizabeth Claiborne
|Managed by:||Jeffery Shoemaker|
About Mary Elizabeth Rice
There has been much speculation about "Mary" Elizabeth Claiborne. Some researchers claim she never exists, some claim she is not a daughter of William Claiborne, others claim she was never married to Robert Claiborne, while finally others claim she was not married to "our" Robert Claiborne.
- The basic premise is that Mary (Elizabeth) Claiborne was the daughter of William Claiborne, and that she was married for a short time to Edward Rice. After Rice's premature death, Mary went on to marry Robert Harris.
Some of the following information seems helpful, but other aspects seem questionable, such as the "Albermarle, King William Co, VA" (which is not a place, so I've deleted them here) and the listing of Rice children and their dates, about which I'm quite skeptical. If she married Harris AFTER being married to Rice, and her first Harris child was born when she was age 19 in 1849, then giving birth to 13 Rice children would have been impossible. However, the dates of the Harris children are reasonable.
Birth 1630 Essex CO, England Sex Female Died 9 Feb 1710 Glen Cairn, Doswell, Hanover CO, VA
Last Modified 24 Aug 2004
Father William C. Claiborne, b. 10 Aug 1600, Crayford, Kent CO, England Mother Jane Elizabeth Butler, b. 1610, Roxwell, Essex CO, England
Family 1 Edward Rice, b. 1636 Children
1. Thomas Rice, b. 1656, Shirementon, Bristol County, England 2. Edward Rice 3. Claiborne Rice
4. Susannah Rice, b. 1699, VA
5. David Rice 6. William Rice 7. Michael Rice 8. James Rice 9. John Rice 10. Francis Rice 11. Henry Rice 12. Mary Rice 13. Elizabeth Rice
Group Sheet F511 Default Tree
Family 2 Robert Harris, b. 1615, Glamorgan, Wales Married Abt 1652 Children
1. Robert Harris, b. 7 Jun 1649
2. William Harris, b. 1652
3. Judith Harris, b. 3 Jun 1655 4. John Harris, b. 3 Oct 1657
5. Mathew Harris, b. 1661
6. Edward Harris, b. 1665 7. Mary Harris, b. 10 Aug 1665
8. Thomas Harris, b. 1667
Hanover County was created on November 26, 1719, from the area of New Kent County called St. Paul's Parish.
Elizabeth "Mary" CLAIBORNE Surname: Claiborne Given Name: Elizabeth "Mary" Sex: F Birth: ABT 1630 in Elizabeth City, VA Death: 9 Feb 1710 in Glen Cairn, Doswell, Hanover, VA _UID: 7D2CFC2FF5F7D6119BCD93052FFC382F39EA Note:
1. Her paternal family, that of William Claiborne, who came to VA in 1621, was of royal descent through the DeToneys and Cliffords. William Harris was appointed surveyor general of VA, was a member of the Virginia Council, was Secretary of the VA Colony during 1625-1635 and 1652-1660. Four of his ancestors signed the petition demanding the Magna Carta of King John. 2. Her mother's father, John Boteler, was a son of Cressett St. John who married Boteler. Cressett was a bastard daughter of Sir John St. John and Ann Nevell. The St. John family line goes back to William Malet of the Magna Carta Surety of 1215. 3. Mary Claiborne first married Edward Rice and had a son, Edward Rice, who had a son, Claiborne Rice. Her second husband was Robert Harris with whom she married about 1665 in New Kent (=Hanover). They had William Harris (Captain) who married Temperance Overton and who had Robert Harris (Major) who married Mourning Glenn. 4. William Deyo determined from his research that Mary was her christening name, a name she chose to use. Her name, Elizabeth, was found in the will of her mother. 5. Have also seen the date and place of her death given as 1689 in Hanover co., VA.
SOURCES INCLUDE: Deyo, William. Harris Family of Essex, England, and Virginia. http://www.geneajourney.com/harris.html. .
Change Date: 11 Jan 2009 at 14:34:24
HintsAncestry Hints for Elizabeth "Mary" CLAIBORNE
1 possible matches found on Ancestry.com Ancestry.com
Father: William CLAIBORNE b: 1600 in Crayford Parish, Kent, England c: 10 Aug 1600 in Crayford Parish, Kent, England Mother: Elizabeth Jane BOTELER b: ABT 1610 in Little Burch Par, Roxwell, Essex, England
Marriage 1 Robert HARRIS b: ABT 1622/1625 in Henrico, VA
Married: ABT 1650/1660 in Hanover, VA
Has No Children Thomas HARRIS b: ABT 1665 in New Kent, VA Has Children William HARRIS b: 1669 in , New Kent, VA
Marriage 2 Edward RICE b: ABT 1630 in New Kent, VA
Married: ABT 1647 in New Kent, VA
Mary Elizabeth Rice's Timeline
New Kent or Hanover County, Virginia Colony
June 3, 1655
The Forks, Hanover, Virginia
August 10, 1655
New Kent County, Virginia Colony, Colonial America
October 3, 1657
New Kent County, Virginia Colony
Shirementon, Bristol, England