Mary Seamons

public profile

Is your surname Seamons?

Research the Seamons family

Mary Seamons's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Mary Seamons (King)

Birthdate: (73)
Birthplace: St. Michaels, South Elmham, Suffolk, England
Death: January 12, 1875 (73)
Hyde Park, Cache, Utah
Place of Burial: Hyde Park, Cache County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Samuel King and Mary King
Wife of George Clutton and Henry Seamons
Mother of Mary Thurston; Rachel Hancey; Henry Seamons, Jr; Jemima Daines; Lydia Crowther and 3 others
Sister of Alfred King; Elizabeth King; Samuel King and William King

Managed by: Scott David Hibbard
Last Updated:
view all 16

Immediate Family

About Mary Seamons

Daughter of Samuel King and Mary Ling

Married George Clutton, 25 Oct 1826, St. Peter, South Elmham, Suffolk, England.

Married Henry Seamons, 9 Sep 1832, St. Michaels, South Elmham, Suffolk, England. He died 14 Jan 1860, Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska.

History of James Thurston and Mary Seamons and her parents – Henry Seamons and Mary King, as written by Mary Bake Woolf

(My mother's family history – Sarah Elizabeth Thurston, wife of John Alfred Bake, Sr.)

My maternal great grandparents were Samuel King and Mary Ling. Mary Ling was born on July 12th, 1765, at All Saints, [South Elmham,] Suffolk, England, and she died June 17, 1852. Their daughter, Mary, my great grandmother, was born on March 5, 1801, at St. Michaels, [South Elmham,] England, and died January 12, 1875, at Hyde Park, Cache, Utah. She was married to Henry Seamons in January 1832, at Suffolk, England. To this union was born my grandmother, Mary Seamons, on March 17, 1833, at St. Michaels, [South Elmham,] Suffolk, England. She was married to James Thurston on April 6, 1954, in England. She died May 17, 1914, at Hyde Park, Utah. Their daughter, Sarah Elizabeth, who was my mother, was born October 22, 1857, in New Jersey.

My paternal grandparents were William Stockdale and Hannah Seamons. Their son, Henry Seamons, was born May 5, 1809, at Rumburg, England, and died January 14, 1860, at Omaha, Nebraska. He was married to Mary King in January 1832 at St. Michaels, [South Elmham,] Suffolk, England. My grandmother [Mary Seamons Thurston] was born at this place on March 17, 1833.

While in England, my great grandparents had been members of various denominations, lastly the Church of England, but they found these different faiths unsatisfactory. Three L.D.S. missionaries, Claudious V. Spencer, Cyrus H. Wheelock, and Isaac Morley, were sent to Suffolk and held cottage meetings there. There often held their meetings in my great grandfather's home, where they found a ready welcome. My great grandparents and their family heard this new doctrine preached and felt it to be the truth. They immediately became converts.

They made preparations at once to come to America. My great grandmother, Mary King Seamons, had some property, consisting of a small shop, left to her by an aunt, and this she sold, using the proceeds to pay passage for herself and husband, their eight children, and their three eldest daughter's husbands. The passage cost 42 lbs. 10 shillings.

The sail ship Caravan set sail from Liverpool, England, on Monday, February 18, 1856, with Captain William Sands in command. There were 454 Saints on board, under the leadership of Daniel Tyler. The company arrived in New York on March 28, 1856, after being on the sea for five weeks and two days. They had a rough voyage. The Caravan was disabled and driven back nearly one hundred miles, one mast broken off, one sailor killed and another had his thigh broken. Two days later my grandmother's sister, Rachel, gave birth to a boy. He was named Jimmy [James] Sands Hancey in honor of the captain of the ship.

The night they landed, March 28th, my grandmother had a baby girl, Mary Casalina, who later died on July 31, 1856, in New York. When this baby died my grandfather was ill with chills and fever, and out of funds. My grandmother was forced to walk the streets for three days, trying to find some one to take the baby and give it burial. She finally found a man who agreed to do this and bought a nice casket for the baby. He took the child's body away, but refused to let grandmother accompany him, saying she would only feel worse. Her youngest brother, Samuel Seamons, however, followed the man, and saw him take the child's body to a pit of quick lime outside the city limits and dumped it in, afterward taking the casket back to the city with him.

On October 22, 1857, my mother, Sarah Elizabeth was born in New Jersey. They remained in New Jersey the next about three years before coming to Utah. In Omaha, Nebraska, on their way westward, my grandmother gave birth to a boy, Stephen. He was born on August 25, 1859. She also buried her father in Omaha on January 14, 1860.

By dint of much hard work and saving my grandparents managed to buy a wagon, a cow, and an ox for their trip across the plains. My grandmother walked every step of the way across the plains and carried her baby and a gun. Once on the way the ox gave out, and my grandmother made a gruel of the food intended for the family's supper and carried it back about two miles to feed him. By morning the ox had regained his strength sufficiently to continue on the way.

This immigrant company was captained by Franklyn Brown. They arrived in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, September 4, 1860. They immediately started on to Hyde Park, Utah, to make their homes. The Seamons, Thurston, and Hancey families arrived in Hyde Park, September 9, 1860. My grandfather [James Thurston] at once constructed a dugout, which was their first home. Later he built a one room log cabin, and still later the first good house in Hyde Park. This was a modern four room house with basement, fireplace, built in cupboards, etc., and it is still standing. They spent the remainder of their lives on the same ground where they first settled, and these lots are still owned by the Thurston Family.

My grandfather was a framer and a high class horticulturist. He raised the first apples and plums in Cache Valley. He also had the first rose bushes. He and James Mack paid either $40.00 for the two roses, or $40.00 each, I'm uncertain which. Grandfather was always a lover of the finer things of life. His home was a favorite gathering place for his many friends, and they always found a hearty welcome there. I have heard grandfather say the three things he could not abide in another person were dishonesty, laziness, and the failure to keep one's word.

My grandmother [Mary Seamons Thurston] was a very capable manager, housewife, and cook. She did her own spinning, knitting, etc., in addition to her house work and the care and raising of ten of her twelve children, two having died in infancy. She was on hand to visit among her neighbors, but in cases of sickness she was always called upon and always responded cheerfully and willingly. At one time she left her own family to go into the home of John A. Woolf to nurse them when they, six in all, were down with typhoid fever. She nursed them through this by herself, and only one died. She was eighty years and two months old at the time of her death.

Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, DUP, Vol 4, p. 2717

Mary was born in St. Michaels, South Elmham, Suffolk, England. Early in her life, she owned a donkey and cart. She would ride around disposing of staple articles to her neighbors and friends.

At the age of twenty-five, she married George Clutton. They had been married only nine months when her husband died in an accident at a sand pit. She remained a widow for five years, supporting herself by peddling and keeping a small store.

She married Henry Seamons in September of 1832 in St. Michaels, South Elmham, Suffolk, England. Their first child, Mary, was born in St. Michaels, and their seven other children were all born in the same home in All Saints. Mary had a good education and at one time taught school.

The Seamons family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on June 23, 1852. The missionaries were welcomed and often cared for in their home.

Using the inheritance money she received when a maiden aunt died, Mary paid for the tickets necessary to bring her husband, eight children, and three sons-in-law to New York. The family sailed on the ship, "Caravan," and arrived in America on March 28, 1856. The family first settled in New Jersey. Three years later, they moved from New Jersey to Omaha, Nebraska.

After her husband, Henry passed away, the family left Omaha to cross the Plains to be with the Utah saints. They traveled with the Ferezmore Little Wagon Company and arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on September 9, 1860. The following day, they joined another group of Saints who were going to Cache Valley. They built a log home.

Mary had a very cheerful and hopeful personality. She had a great love for flowers and nature, an ability to be thrifty, and had a compassion and desire to assist the needy and sick. She was a beautiful singer and a great lover of children. She was true to the work of God and beloved by all who knew her.

She spent a busy and useful life providing for herself and helping to care for her family until she passed away on January 12, 1875, in Hyrum, Cache, Utah.

view all 14

Mary Seamons's Timeline

March 5, 1801
St. Michaels, South Elmham, Suffolk, England
March 8, 1801
St. Michaels, South Elmham, Suffolk, England
March 17, 1833
Age 32
St. Michael, South Elmham, Suffolk, England
May 31, 1834
Age 33
All Saints, So. Elmham, Suffolk, England
September 27, 1835
Age 34
All Saints, South Elmham, Suffolk, England
June 10, 1837
Age 36
All Saints, South Elmham, Suffolk, England
December 15, 1838
Age 37
Saint Michael South Elmham, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
October 23, 1841
Age 40
All Saints, South Elmham, Suffolk, England