Matilda Arbogast (Ware)
|Birthplace:||Valley Head, Randolph, (W)VA, United States|
|Death:||Died in Randolph, WV, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Ware's Ridge, Private, Valley Head, Randolph, West Virginia|
Daughter of Richard "Dickie" Ware and Mary "Polly" Wilson
|Managed by:||Ivy Jo Smith|
Matching family tree profiles for Matilda Arbogast
About Matilda Arbogast
BIOGRAPHY OF: Matilda Ware
(wvmunza added this on 24 Oct 2009)
One might consider Matilda Ware as being the, "black sheep", of the family because of her relationship with Moses Arbogast. Matilda had five illegitimate children with Moses that were all born in Virginia and which she named after herself. She is found in the 1830 census living in her fathers house with her first born son, William Madison Ware who was abt 8 months old. Her mother died two years earlier, in 1828 and Matilda is taking care of the household, her younger sister Elizabeth, eight of her younger brothers and her father. Her sisters Ruth and Lucinda have both married and moved out of the house as did Hiram. Harvey is 23 and has probably left home to strike out on his own. He won't get married untill two years later. During the 1840 census she is the head of her household and raising four children on her own. She now has three sons, Hiram 5, Eugenius 6, William 11 and one daughter Amanda 9.
The 1850 census shows she is living with her five children, William 20, Amanda 18, Eugenius 16, Hiram 14, George 8, two granddaughters, her brother John Newton Ware 22 and a girl named Elizabeth Arbogast, age 18 in Randolph County, Virginia. Her daughter Amanda now goes under the married name of Gilmore. Her granddaughters are Matilda J Gilmore 3 and Madora L Gilmore 7 months old. If Amanda was married at age 15 it's unknown what happen to her husband or what his given name was. Matilda and her family are living next door to her brother Jacob See Ware and his wife Margaret. She is also close to her brother George Washington Ware and his family. In 1851 she buys 47 acres of land from William Logan and his wife in Randolph Co.
Matilda later married Moses Arbogast in 1854. He was 55 years old and she was 49. Tradition says, "he was the father of all her children". Moses and Matilda were found in the 1860 census living in Randolph Co, Virginia. There are five step-children living with her from one of Moses previous marriages. Her son George R Ware 18 is the only one still at home. He is listed as a farmer. Moses is also listed as a farmer with a real estate value of $1500 and a personal estate value of $250.
Matilda was mentioned in her fathers will and received a portion of his perishables after paying his debts and funeral expenses. It is my belief that she remained in her father's house after he died because she needed a place to raise her children without the help of a husband. Some of her brothers lived and raised their family's close by and probably offered their help from time to time. Matilda lost two of her son's in the Civil War, George in 1862 and Eugenius in 1863. She resided in her beloved Virginia, near Valley Head until her death in 1864 at the age of 59. She is buried in the Ware's Cemetery in Valley Head, Randolph County, West Virginia.
RESEARCH LOG: Matilda Ware
wvmunza added this on 24 Oct 2009
Name: Matilda Ware Female
Born: 4 Jun 1805; Married: 1854; Died: 8 Jan 1864
1. 1/7/05 Found birth information at Ancestry.com Family Data Collection-Birth stating that Matilda was born 4 Jun 1805 in Valley Head, Randolph Co, W.Va. Parents were Richard & Mary (Wilson) Ware who were married 24 Jun 1804.
2. 1/7/05 Found marriage information at Ancestry.com Family Data Collection-Marriages stating that Matilda was married to Moses Arbogast 1854 (no day or month given) at Ware's Ridge, Randolph Co, W.Va. (name of preacher not given.)
3. 1/7/05 Found death information at Ancestry.com Family Data Collection-Deaths stating that Matilda died 8 Jan 1864 in Randolph Co, W.Va. (name of cemetery not given.)
4. 12/2/07 Found birth, marriage and death information at Ancestry.com; Ancestry World Tree Project: Kendall, etc., Contact: Carroll D Kendall , Updated: 11/18/02.
5. 12/2/07 Found birth, marriage and death information at Ancestry.com; Ancestry World Tree Project: arbogast, Contact: Connie Jones-Rusca , Updated: 2/21/02.
6. 1/8/05 Found census information at Ancestry.com 1830 US Federal Census. Roll 199, Pg 126. Living in her father's household, Randolph Co, Virginia. 10 males and 2 females. Her first child, William is also listed as a child under 5.
7. 1/8/05 Found census information at Ancestry.com 1840 US Federal Census. Roll 578, Pg 268. Living at her home in Randolph Co, Virginia with 4 children. 3 males and 2 females.
8. 12/18/03 Found census information at Ancestry.com 1850 US Federal Census. Roll M432_972, Pg 28. Living at her home in Randolph Co, Virginia with 5 children, William 20, Amanda V Gilmore 18, Eugenius 16, Hiram 14, George 8, 2 grandchildren, Matilda J Gilmore 3, Madora L Gilmore 7 mons, her brother John Newton Ware 22 and Elizabeth Arbogast 18.
9. 4/15/06 Found census information at Ancestry.com 1860 US Federal Census. Roll M653_1374, Pg 33. Living in Moses Arbogast household with 5 step-children and her son George R Ware 18.
10. 12/2/07 Found deed information at Ancestry.com; Ancestry World Tree Project: arbogast, Contact: Connie Jones-Rusca , Updated: 2/21/02. Grantees: Matilda Ware Randolph Co. Deeds 1787-1966; Grantors: William Logan ux; Book 18, p. 422; Date: 1851; 47 acres.
11. Date ? Found information at ? her sons Eugenius and George served in the C.S.A. during the Civil War in Virginia and Hiram served in the Missouri Home Guard (Union) during the Civil War.
Matilda Arbogast's Timeline
June 4, 1805
Valley Head, Randolph, (W)VA, United States
March 11, 1830
August 17, 1836
Mingo Flats, Randolph, West Virginia