Historical records matching Mary Maud Lilley
About Mary Maud Lilley
Maud Mary PURCELL was the first white child born in Pilgrim's Rest on 25 August 1874, to John PURCELL and Mary Ann. In 1872 her parents arrived in the Mac Mac area from Kimberley. They later moved to Pilgrim's Rest. In 1878 the family moved to Swaziland for a short while, but returned to Pilgrim's Rest in 1880. Maud married William Herbert LILLEY on 12 June 1898. They had three children, a son and two daughters, including Sheila Mary Marguerite. Sheila married MACFARLANE. She became the owner of Mrs Mac's Shop. In 1905 it housed the Royal Hotel's off-sales, then was rented as a chemist in 1913, but later became the general dealer. In 1978, Sheila was the oldest resident of Pilgrim's Rest when she left the town. William died in 1903, and in 1909 Maud married William Price GRIFFITHS (he died in October 1945). They had two daughters. After his death, Maud moved to her daughter, Mrs. FRASER, in Witfield, Boksburg.