Maud (Margaret) d'Avranches, Le Goz
|Also Known As:||"Maud /De Avranches/", "Maud Margaret /Avranches/", "Matilda Lupus//"|
|Birthplace:||Avranches, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France|
|Death:||Died in Bayeux, Calvados, Basse-Normandie, France|
|Place of Burial:||Chester, Cheshire West and Chester, England, United Kingdom|
Daughter of Richard le Goz, Viscount of Avranches and Emma de Conteville
|Occupation:||Countess of Chester, BORN IN CASTLE OF FALOYS|
|Managed by:||Pam Wilson|
Matching family tree profiles for Maud (Margaret) d'Avranches, Le Goz
About Maud (Margaret) d'Avranches, Le Goz
Margaret d' AVRANCHES [Parents] 1, 2, 3, 4 was born 1054 in Avranches, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France. She married Ranulph II de BAYEUX Vicomte de Bayeux on 1074 in Bayeux, Calvados, France.
They had the following children:
M i Ranulph III le MESCHIN Earl of Chester was born 1075 and died 27 Jan 1129.
F ii N.N. de BAYEUX was born 1077.
M iii Hugh de BAYEUX 1 was born 1081 in Bayeux, Calvados, France.
M iv William le MESCHIN Lord of Copeland was born 1090 and died 1130.
1Weis, Frederick Lewis, Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700 (7th ed., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992.), 132A-25, 132B-25, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 974 W426 1992.
2Sanders, Ivor John, English Baronies: A Study of Their Origin and Descent, 1086-1327 (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1960.), p. 32, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.722 S215.
3Keats-Rohan, K.S.B., Domesday Descendants: A Prosopography of Persons Occurring in English Documents 1066-1166 (Rochester, New York: The Boydell Press, 2002.), p. 228, Library of Congress, DA177 .K4 2002.
4Cokayne, George Edward, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910.), 3:166, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.721 C682.
Margaret d' Avranches1
b. circa 1046, d. circa 1136
Margaret d' Avranches|b. c 1046\nd. c 1136|p364.htm#i6822|Richard le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches|b. c 1025\nd. a 1082|p351.htm#i6643|Emma de Conteville|b. c 1030?|p55.htm#i6644|Thurstan le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches|b. c 975?|p55.htm#i6647|Judith de Montanolier|b. 1004|p55.htm#i6648|Herluin de Conteville|b. 1001\nd. c 1066|p347.htm#i6645|Herlève de Falaise|b. 1003|p44.htm#i5008|
Father Richard le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches2 b. circa 1025, d. after 1082
Mother Emma de Conteville b. circa 1030?
Margaret d' Avranches was born circa 1046. She was the daughter of Richard le Goz, vicomte d' Avranches and Emma de Conteville.2 Margaret d' Avranches married Ranulph II, vicomte de Bayeaux, son of Ranulph I, Vicomte du Bessin and Alix de Normandie, after 1066 at England. Margaret d' Avranches died circa 1136.
Ranulph II, vicomte de Bayeaux b. circa 1042, d. 1128/29
* Ranulph "le Meschin", 4th Earl of Chester+ b. c 1068, d. c 11293,1
* Geoffrey de Meschines b. c 10884
* William le Meschines of Egremont, Lord of Copeland+ b. c 1089, d. bt 1130 - 1135
1. [S215] Revised by others later George Edward Cokayne CP, III:166.
2. [S879] Kevin Miller (e-mail address), RE: Alice of Normandy in "Re: Alice of Normandy," newsgroup message 2001-03-22 22:33:12 PST.
3. [S603] C.B., LL.D., Ulster King of Arms Sir Bernard Burke, B:xP, pg. 2.
4. [S603] C.B., LL.D., Ulster King of Arms Sir Bernard Burke, B:xP, pg. 365.
- ID: I10737
- Name: Maud De Avranches
- Surname: De Avranches
- Given Name: Maud
- Sex: F
- Birth: 1052/1054 in Avranches, Normandy, France
- Death: AFT 1084
- _UID: E49BCCD2BA4CF4489977A652F14E651B264D
- Change Date: 15 May 2009 at 01:00:00
Father: Richard le Goz Viscount de Avranches & Eu b: 1025 in Avranches, Normandy, France
Mother: Emma De Conteville b: 1029/1033 in Conteville, France
Marriage 1 Ranulf le Meschines Viscount II de Bayeux b: 1050
* Married: BEF 1070
1. Has Children Ranulph le Meschin 3rd Earl of Chester b: ABT 1070 in Briquessart, Livry, France
2. Has No Children William le Meschines b: ABT 1072
3. Has No Children Geoffrey le Meschines b: ABT 1074
4. Has No Children Robert le Meschines b: ABT 1076
Marriage 2 Harold de Ewias De Sudeley Lord Ewias b: 1051/1057 in Sudeley Castle, England
* Married: BEF 1085
1. Has Children John De Maigne Lord Sudeley & Toddi b: in Toddington, Gloucestershire, England
2. Has Children Robert FitzHarold De Ewyas Baron of Ewyas Harold b: ABT 1085 in Sudley Castle, Gloucestershire, England
Maud was born in 1053 in Avranches, Normandy, France.1
Maud's father was Vicomte d'Avranches Richard le Goz and her mother was Emma de Conteville. Her paternal grandparents were Viscount of Heismer Thurston Toustien le Goz and Judith of Montpellier; her maternal grandparents were Harlevin de Conteville and Heleve Arlette de Falaise. She had two brothers and three sisters, named le Gros, Albert, Albreda, Judith and Helisinde. She was the fourth oldest of the six children. She died after 1084 in Ewyas Harold, Herefordshire, England.2
- Maud d'Avranches
born about 1054 Avranches, Normandy, France
- Richard d'Avranches Vicount d'Avranches
born 1025 Avranches, Normandy, France
- Emma de Conteville
born 1029 Conteville, France
- Judith (le Goz) d'Avranches born Abt 1054 Of, Avranches, Normandy, France
Albreda d'Avranches born about 1045 Oakhampton, Devonshire, England
- Hugh "Vras" "Le Gros" "Lupus" d'Avranches
born about 1050 Avranches, Normandy, France
died 27 July 1101 St. Werburgh, Chester, Cheshire, England
Arbella Loup d'Avranches born about 1055 Averanches, Normandy, France
- Ranulf de Meschines Viscount de Bayeux
born about 1050 Normandy, France
children (from 1st marriage):
William de Meschines born about 1072 Normandy, France
Geoffrey de Meschines born about 1074 Normandy, France
Robert de Meschines born about 1076 Normandy, France
- Ranulph "de Briquessart" le Meschin Earl of Chester
born about 1070 Briquessart, Livry, France
died January 1128/29 Chester, Cheshire, England
buried St. Werburgh, Chester, Cheshire, England
- Harold Ewias de Sudeley Earl Hereford
born about 1057 Sudeley Castle, Gloucester, England
died after 1115
children (from 2nd marriage)::
- Robert Fitz Harold de Ewyas
born 1085 Sudeley, Gloucestershire, England
died 1147 Sudeley, Gloucestershire, England
Harold de Sudeley
- John de Sudeley
biographical and/or anecdotal:
notes or source:
ancestry.com & LDS
two different sources give two different spouses with equal confidence but don't mention the other. The births of the children are sequential and this is a strong indicator both are correct.
Margaret was our ancestor through two distinct descent lines--both through her son Ranulf and through her son William, each of whom was independently our ancestor.
See "My Lines"
from Compiler: R. B. Stewart, Evans, GA
Maud (Margaret) d'Avranches, Le Goz's Timeline
Avranches, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France
June 26, 1070
Briquessart, Livry, Calvados, Basse-Normandie, France
Bayeux, Calvados, Lower Normandy, France
Briquessart, Livry, France
Sudley Castle, Gloucestershire, England
Bayeux, Calvados, Basse-Normandie, France
Sudeley Castle, Toddington, Gloucestershire, England