Is your surname Dye?

Research the Dye family

Max Dye's Geni Profile

Records for Max Dye

629,844 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Max Dye

Birthdate: (70)
Birthplace: Linton,greene,Indiana
Death: November 3, 2000 (70)
Place of Burial: Indianapolis,Marion,indiana
Immediate Family:

Son of Maurice WIlliam Dye and Thlema Eveyln McKissick
Husband of <private> Richards
Father of <private> Dye; <private> Dye and <private> Dye

Managed by: Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Max Dye

My father was my hero in every sense of the word. Although he did not have a college education, he was extremely successful as a salesman in the esquarian field.

;He was the only child born to my grandparents, Evelyn and Maurice Dye, and was the first child to be born in Linton, Indiana, in 1930, on January 4th.

He lived close to his paternal grandparents, George William Dye and Fannie Sherwood Dye. They lived a half a block away on E. Vincennes Street, which gave him opportunities to be with his grandparents on a regular basis. All of the Dyes were horse people, and my great grandfather (George) had a barn with horses and several lots behind his home, which was the pasture.

My father started showing horses (English rather than Western), from the time he was 3yr old. He continued this through out high school. My grandfather was a horseman as well as my great-grandfather. I have fond memories of being taken for a buggy ride with one of Pop's (George) ponies or horses. George Dye also MC'd many of the horse shows in the area. My dad won many ribbons and trophies from his shows.

He also was an athlete, playing basketball and football at Linton High School. They made it to the sweet 16 one year, which was quite an accomplishment for a small town school. He was popular with the girls and good looking. He drove a model A to school.

He met my mom (Bebe Richards Dye) in junior high and he pursued her till she married him their senior year, November 14, 1948. My dad did several things, sometimes simultaneously, while figuring out his career path.

He worked 3yrs in Anderson, at Guide Lamp (GM), but never got used to third shift. He also worked for the highway dept painting lines down the middle of the streets. Another job was in a bakery, but I do not know what his job was there. I think making donuts, but not sure. He worked for Ladsen Wholesale for a time, driving a truck and selling products. In 1958, we moved to Kansas City where he went to work for a toy company (Richcon) for a time. He ended up selling horse tack, Western, for The Partrade Co., in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We lived in Kansas for 9 years, in Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City, KS. Dad traveled 9 states and grew his territory to eventually have the entire U.S. and Canada. He also had his own manufacturer representative business, Max Dye & Associates. We all worked in some capacity in the business, but dad was the salesman and key player. My mother kept the books. Both of my brothers eventually worked and traveled for my dad. I worked in the office. We lived in Chattanooga, TN for 3yrs, while Dad was VP of Partrade Co. but he decided he liked it better on the road selling, so we relocated to Indianapolis, where he went back on the road and we were closer to grandparents. He did importing from overseas...(Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, China) and made buying trips every year to one of these countries. He had several companies he represented, and several product lines, but all were in the Esquarian or horse business. He started/owned as well as Kellee Manufacturing and Bebe Trading Company. Horse leads, and saddles and blankets, along with girths, etc. were made.

Dad was well liked by many, on a personal level and in the business. People would remember his name and his face, everywhere. He played the drums and we had many family jam sessions, as we all played an instrument. He liked to sing and was a great dancer. He and my mom would jitter bug at the canteen when they were teens. He loved Big Band Era music, like "In The Mood." This stayed with him throughout his life. He also owned a pool cleaning business in Florida. The pool business was in Naples, Florida. There he and my mother bought a second home, where we all enjoyed many vacations. One time he took all of us three kids and our spouses, and all of the grandkids, to Disney World over Christmas.

I was the only daughter, and felt lucky to not have to share him with any other sisters. I remember as a kid him being gone on trips allot, but he always brought us kids back each a present. He brought me dolls from all over, including many Native American dolls. One time he brought me a purse that also was a doll. I really liked that.

He was a little league coach/manager, and both my brothers played ball for him. At that time they did not let girls play baseball, otherwise I would have been on the team as well. Dad also played golf and had a boat in Florida, so we had allot of fun going out on the water. Our favorite spot to eat at in Naples was The Dock, as you could drive there or take a boat to get there. They had great Grouper fish.

My dad was generous, kind, thoughtful, and always helping us kids with moves, etc.  He would win 50lb sacks of potatoes, betting on games with a produce guy, at a local pub he would eat at.  Then he always gave away those sacks to one of us kids, who appreciated it because we all had our own kids to feed.  It was just something he did.  

My father bought me a house to live in, with my 3 kids, after I went through a divorce. (1988) That enabled me to go back and get my college education, and a teaching degree. He always made sure my car was running well, and would insist I take it in every so often to get a good check up. (He would pay for it, of course.) He was so thrilled when I graduated in 1992. He was the most emotional I have ever seen. I had NEVER seen him cry before, but he was so happy for me!

It was a day I will never forget!! I guess I should mention 14yrs prior, he gave me the biggest wedding in Indianapolis. We had over 500 guests, and rented three ballrooms at the Airport Hilton, as well as had a live band/orchestra.

One time he came to visit me and was surprised I had the entire back yard planted with a hugh garden! He thought the neighbors would get a petition for me to move, but they were glad to get fresh produce from my garden, so it was not an issue.

Dad was my hero in many ways.  Was he perfect?  No.  Was he loveable and well respected?  YES!!!  He has been gone ten years now and not a day goes by but what I think of him.  His last two yrs he had dementia, but he stayed home with mom, and my older brother, Dennis, came home to help care for him.  He still loved his music though, and still loved to dance!  

He did more with a high school education than many today do with a college degree. He lived in the moment and was always pretty up beat. I do not remember him every being moody. He was an Elks Club member, and he loved to play cards. Gin Rummy or Euchre .....and he was a very good player! Well, I have probably written more than most would have, but I had allot to say. I am glad he was my dad! I am my father's daughter, and I inherited the travel bug. My goal is to someday go to the places he was able to travel to, to experience some of what he experienced. He had an excellent work ethic and left a hugh hole in our family, the day he died. We miss you dad! With Love, Diane

PS:  Shortly before he got sick, he was recognized with an award for his outstanding contribution to the esquarian field, with his sales abilities.   - Diana Rose (Dye) Stefanski

view all

Max Dye's Timeline

January 4, 1930
November 3, 2000
Age 70