Matching family tree profiles for Prinz Maximilian von Hessen
About Prinz Maximilian von Hessen
Prince Maximilian was serving with the Grand Ducal Hessen Dragoons when he was severely wounded by British maschine gun fire at Saint-Jean-Chappelle in France on 13th of October 1914. Wold War l.
- He was taken to a Trappist monastery, where the monks cared for him. But the British advanced and took control of the monastery.
- prince Maximilian told a British army doctor that he was a great grandson of Queen Victoria, and asked him to send a locket to his mother, which the doctor promised to do.
- The prince died three hours later at the age of 19 and the British army doctor died 3 days later.
- The locket was sendt to the doctor´'s widow, who forwarded it to Queen Mary, the wife of King Georg V. of the United Kingdom. Eventually, the locket did reach Prince Maximilian's mother.
- Prince Maximilian's older brother Prince Friedrich Wilhelm was killed in action in 1916 and a younger brother, Prince Christoph was killed in Wold War ll.
Prinz Maximilian von Hessen's Timeline
October 20, 1894
Schloss Rumpenheim, Offenbach
October 13, 1914
St. Jean Chapelle, Bailleul, Flanders, France
February 14, 1974