About Mcbeth / Mcbrath (MacBethe/McBeth) McCausland, 6th Laird of Buchanan
Succession of Clan Buchanan Chiefs
The first six Clan Chiefs are poorly represented in historical records and are included by some Clan historians and omitted by others. Buchanan of Auchmar and Guthrie Smith commence their respective numbering of Chiefs at a different person, and describe a different order and number of Chiefs following Sir Walter 11th of Buchanan. In part this is due to the heir apparent not succeeding to the chiefship before he dies and chiefship passing directly from grandfather to grandchild. The following lineage reconciles Guthrie Smith and Buchanan of Auchmar and their respective numbering is in parenthesis.
- 1st – Anselan O'Kyan, son of a petty king from Ulster, Ireland, in the service of Malcolm II of Scotland from whom he received a grant of land in Lennox. He married an heiress of Denniestoun and by her had a son, John.
- 2nd – John, whose son and successor was Anselan.
- 3rd – Anselan, whose son and successor was Walter.
- 4th – Walter, whose son and successor was Girald.
- 5th – Girald also called Bernard, whose son and successor was McBeath.
- 6th – McBeath (MacBethe/McBeth) McCausland, whose son and successor was Anselan.
Mcbeth / Mcbrath (MacBethe/McBeth) McCausland, 6th Laird of Buchanan's Timeline
Land Granr,Lock Lomond,Stirlingshire,Scotland