Mehitable Tuthill (Horton)
|Birthplace:||Southold, Suffolk County, Province of New York|
|Death:||Died in Southold, Suffolk County, Province of New York|
Daughter of Capt Jonathan Horton and Bethia Horton
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Matching family tree profiles for Mehitable Tuthill
About Mehitable Tuthill
- HORTON, Mehitable
- b. 17 FEB 1678/9 Southold, Suffolk, NY.
- d. 7 SEP 1757 Southold, Suffolk, NY.
- Father: HORTON, Jonathan
- Mother: WELLS, Bethia
- Marriage: ABT 1700
- Spouse: BRADLEY, Christopher
- b. 11 JUL 1679 New London, New London, CT.
- d. 1702 Southold, Suffolk, NY.
- Father: BRADLEY, Peter
- Mother: CHRISTOPHERS, Mary
- Marriage: 1705 Southold, Suffolk, NY.
- Spouse: TUTHILL, Daniel
- b. 23 JAN 1679/80 Southold, Suffolk, NY.
- d. 9 DEC 1762 Southold, Suffolk, NY.
- Father: TUTHILL, John
- Mother: KING, Deliverance
- TUTTLE, Lydia
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_30.htm#39
- Tuthill family of Tharston, Norfolk County, England and Southold, Suffolk County, New York; also written Totyl, Totehill, Tothill, Tuttle, etc (1898)
- 3. John Tuthill, Jr., or 2nd (Henry, Henry), of Southold, N. Y., b. 16 July, 1635 (in England?), d. at Southold, 12 Oct., 1717; m. there, 1st on 17 Feb., 1657, Deliverance, daughter of William and Dorothy (Hayne?) Kinge, "bapt. at Salem, Mass., 1641: 31 : 8." She d. at Southold, "25 Jan. 1688/89, aged 49 years." John, m., 2nd, on 28 May 1690 Sarah, probably widow of Thomas Young, and daughter of John Frost. She d. 8 Nov., 1727. John was a large landowner at Southold. The dates of the birth of his children are recorded in his Bible, and in Liber E., MSS. Town Records. Issue, by 1st wife:
- .... etc.
- 6. viii. DANIEL, b. 23 Jan., 1679.
- .... etc.
- 6. DANIEL TUTHILL (John, Henry, Henry), of Southold, b. 23 Jan., 1679, d. 7 Dec. 1762; m. in 1705 MEHITABLE HORTON (Capt. Jonathan, Barnabas), b. 17 Feb., 1679, d. 7 Sep., 1757, widow of PETER BRADLEY. DANIEL was a Deacon at Southold. Letters of administration on his estate were issued in 1763 to his sons, Daniel Tuthill, Jr., and Nathaniel. Issue, all of Southold:
- i. Mehitable, b. 9 Sep., 1706, m. Thomas Terry (Thos., Thos.), in 1723/4, who d. 17 Jan., 1740. His will, dated 7 Nov., 1739, names his "Brother Jonathan Terry, Wife, Mehitable, children, Thomas, and Ruth, Terry, not yet 21 yrs. old, and da. Mehitable Terry, not 18 years of age." (Lib. 13, p. 352, N. Y. City Wills.) Thomas Terry, the son mentioned above was b. 1727. He was a Col. at Southold during the Revolutionary War.
- 13. ii. Nathaniel, b. 1 July, 1708.
- iii. Abigail, b. 9 Apl., 1710, m. Henry Havens.
- 14. iv. Daniel, Jr., b. 15 Jan., 1712.
- v. Noah, b. 13 Mch., 1714; m. 2 Nov., Hannah Tuthill, da. of John, No. 7, or John, No. 4. Noah's will was proved 31 May 1766. (Lib. 25, p. 374, N. Y. City Wills.) Hannah's will was proved 9 Oct., 1770 (Lib. 27, p. 470, N. Y. City Wills.) Issue: Daniel, who m. Ruth Terry; Mehitable, who m. __ King; Hannah, and Lydia Tutthill.
- vi. Patience, b. 11 Mch., 1716, m. John Havens of Moriches, 24 Oct., 1733.
- vii. Lydia, b. 6 May, 1718, d. 25 Aug., 1780, m. 19 Sept., 1737, Jonathan Terry (Thos., Thos.), b. 1713/14, d. 9 June 1775. They had 12 children: Jonathan; Thomas; Lydia; Ruth; Desiah; Noah; Mehitable; Patience; Patience; Thomas; Daniel Tuthill, and Patience, Terry, b. between 1738-1761. Desiah, the 5th child, m. James Griffin. Their son Augustus Griffin, of Orient, states in his Journal that all the daughters of Daniel Tuthill died between 1770-1783.
- viii. Mary, b. 30 June, 1721, m. Nathan Tuthill (John, John, John, Henry, Henry), of Acquebogue, b. 1715; he probably d. 12 mch., 1769.*
- The New York genealogical and biographical record
- 5. Jacob2 Corey (John1), of Southold, d. 15 Feb., 1706. A list of Jacob's lands will be found in the Town Records. He was Overseer, and Patentee of Southold, in 1676. He was worth L92 in 1683, while three years later his household was composed of two males and five females.
- Griffin in his Journal names Jacob Corey in his list of the thirteen earliest settlers of Southold. This oft-quoted list is not supported by any documentary evidence whatsoever, as has been ably shown by the late Mr. J. Wickham Case, and also by Dr. Epher Whitaker, in his History of Southold. The will of John Corey first, mentioned above, is proof that Jacob was of the second Corey generation.
- He married, as early as 1672, Ann (Tuthill?), who died on the 11 April, 1739. Issue, named in the order given in the Census of 1698: ...
- ii. Abijah (probably). An Abijah Corey, probably of a later generation, m. Mary, da. of Stephen and Mehitable (Tuthill) Bailey, in Jan., 1792.
- The entry of Margaret Corey's marriage in the King Family Record seems to indicate that she was a near relative, perhaps a sister, of Mary Corey who married Ensign John King ; it is also a suggestive fact that this John King had a great-grandson Lynde King, b. 6 July, 1792 ; his gravestone at Orient reads : " Capt. Lyndes King, died Oct. 18, 1854, aged 62 years and 3 months." He was the son of Nathaniel King, Jr., whose wife was Mehitable Tuthill, and grandson of Major Nathaniel King whose wife was Experience Young.
- Tuthill.— Abigail Tuthill, da. of John and Deliverance (King) Tuthill, b. 17 Oct 1670, d. 6 June, 1705, wife of John Parker. Abigail's first husband was Joseph,3 son of Capt. John2 Concklyne (John1 ). Was Abigail Tuthill the mother of Abigail Parker, wife of Joseph Wickham? L. D. A.
- Capt. William Booth was a mariner. He owned the present site of Greenport, L. I., then called Stirling, which he purchased of John Youngs. The original deed is still owned by his descendants at Greenport. He m. in 1688, Hannah,3 da. of Samuel2 and Frances (Ludlam) King, b. 26 Jan., 1666; who d. 22 Dec, 1742. (Records of the King Family of Southold, Suffolk Co., N. Y., N. Y. Gen. and Biog. Rec, Apl., 1901; Ludlam Gen.) Issue:
- William,3 b. 28 May, 1689; d. 22 July, 1712.
- Hannah, b. 22 Feb., 1691; m. in all probability, Henry Tuthill, b. 1690. If so, she d. 1 Dec, 1715, leaving a son Henry Tuthill, ancestor of the late President, Benjamin Harrison. It is possible, however, that this Hannah Booth m. Rich. Hudson in Jan., 1723. ...
- Mary, b. 27 Aug., 1703; she probably m. on 4 Oct., 1721-2 Jonathan Bradley, probably son of Christopher Bradley, of New London, Conn., and grandson of Mary Christophers, who m. successively Peter Bradley, Lieut. Col. Thomas Youngs, and Nathaniel Lynde. (Tombstone of Mary Lynde at Southold.)
- Jonathan Bradley's wife d. in 1738. His will dated 31 July, 1739, proved 23 Nov., the same year, names his children: Peter, Grant, Mary, Mehitable, Hannah, and Martha. Grant is to be given a child's coat the gift of Mr. Sueton Grant. Lieut. Constant Booth brother-in-law, and Daniel Tuthill, brother of the testator are to be executors. (Lib. 13, p. 358, N. Y. Wills.)* ...
- * It has been conjectured that Peter Bradley, whose widow, Mehitable Horton, m. Daniel Tuthill, was brother of Jonathan Bradley above, as there seems to be no other way in which to account for Daniel Tuthill being called "brother" of Jonathan Bradley.
Will of Jonathan Horton - NY Historical Society Collection, vol. II pp.4-6. It is dated 21 Feb 1707, proved 2 Jun 1708. "He also makes bequests to: ...dau. Mehitabel, wife of Daniel Tuthill.."
Mehitable Tuthill's Timeline
February 17, 1680
Southold, Suffolk County, Province of New York
September 9, 1706
Southold, Suffolk County (Long Island), Province of New York, (Present USA)
July 1, 1708
Oysterponds (Orient), Southold, Suffolk, NY
April 7, 1710
Oysterponds, Suffolk County, Province of New York