Mehitable Cook (Hayward)
|Also Known As:||"Mehitable Hayward", "Mehitable Staples", "Mehitable Cook", "Cook"|
|Birthplace:||Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts Bay Colony|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Daughter of Samuel Hayward, Sr. and Mehitable Hayward
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Mehitable Cook
About Mehitable Cook
Connections between the Cook and Staples Families
The ties between these two families became very convoluted around the time Mehitable Staples married her second husband Nicholas Cook. Two of Mehitable's daughters by Abraham Staples married sons of Nicholas Cook. A third daughter married Nicholas's nephew.
- Mehitable Cook (Staples) (1692 - 1753) Married Johnathan Cook (1686-1759), nephew of Nicholas Cook, Mehitable's 2nd husband, in 1715. Jonathan was the son of Nicholas Cook's brother John.
- Mary Cook (Staples) (1697 - 1776) Married Rev. Josiah Cook, son of Nicholas Cook, Mehitable's 2nd husband in 1715.
- Elizabeth Cook (Staples) (1698 - 1788) Married Nicholas Cook, Jr., son of Nicholas Cook, Mehitable's 2nd husband, in 1712.
FindAGrave# 42842010 Note that the FindAGrave memorial does not have the date of her death nor the place where she is buried.
No record of her death has been found to date. Her second husband, Nicholas Cook, was a very prominent citizen in Bellingham, so there may be documents there (or in Mendon) that would provide clues, Nicholas died in 1730. Maybe someone knows whether she is mentioned in his will.
Note: Some "researchers" have erroneously assigned 1712 as her date of death because there was a marriage between a Nicholas Cook and an Elizabeth Staples that year. That Nicholas Cook was her stepson, and Elizabeth Staples was her daughter.
- Abraham Staples Jr. m. before 1689
- Nicholas Cook m. 1712
Children of Abraham and Mehitable
- Mehitable Staples (1689 - bef 1692) [died young]
- Mehitable Cook (Staples) (1692 - 1753) [married Johnathan Cook (1686-1759), nephew of Nicholas Cook, Mehitable's 2nd husband on 2/04/1715 or 2/04/1716 in Mendon, MA. Jonathan was the son of Nicholas Cook's brother John.]
- Mary Cook (Staples) (1697 - 1776) [married Rev. Josiah Cook, son of Nicholas Cook, Mehitable's 2nd husband, in 1715. Josiah Cook lived in Bellingham and later in that region between Wrentham and Attleborough called the Gore, which was later set off as Cumberland, RI when the state line between Massachusetts and Rhode Island was adjusted in 1746; Josiah was an Elder in the Baptist church]
- Elizabeth Cook (Staples) (1698 - 1788) [married Nicholas Cook, Jr., son of Nicholas Cook, Mehitable's 2nd husband, in 1712]
- Isaac Staples (6/10/1699 - ) [died young]
- Abraham Staples (1702 - bef 1706) [died young]
- Abraham Staples (1706 - 6/1767)
Children of Nicholas and Mehitable
- Infant son (died young)
Daughter of Samuel Hayward and Mehitable Thompson Hayward.
Her first husband was Abraham Staples Jr. Her second husband, married 1712, was Nicholas Cook.
Children(by first marriage): Mehitable Staples, Mehitable Staples Cook, Mary Staples Cook, Elizabeth Staples Cook, Isaac Staples, Abraham Staples, and Abraham Staples III.
Children(by second marriage): an infant son.
Mehitable Cook's Timeline
Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
March 20, 1692
Mendon, Worcester, MA, USA
February 8, 1695
Mendon, Worcester, Massachusetts
June 3, 1698
Mendon, Worcester, MA, USA
June 10, 1699
Mendon, Worcester, MA
April 3, 1706
Mendon, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
September 12, 1722
Bellingham, Norfolk, MA