Is your surname Lavoye?

Research the Lavoye family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Michel Lavoye

Also Known As: "Lavoye", "Lavoie"
Birthdate:
Birthplace: Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, QC, Canada
Death: April 08, 1779 (78)
Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, QC, Canada (Décès à l`âge de 79 ans)
Place of Burial: Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, QC, Canada
Immediate Family:

Son of René Lavoie and Marguerite Bouchard
Husband of Marie-Josephte Josette Filion
Father of Michel Lavoie; Rene Lavoie; PIerre Lavoie; Marie- Josette Lavoie; Honoré Joseph Marie Lavoie and 6 others
Brother of François-Xavier De La Voye (Lavoie); Rosalie Lavoie; Claude Lavoie; Jean-Baptiste (1) Lavoie, III; Elisabeth Lavoye/Lavoie and 4 others

Occupation: notaire, cultivateur
Managed by: Paul Louis Doré
Last Updated:

About Michel Lavoye

Notes

  • Il écrivait son nom « Lavoye ».
  • Lieux info: Petite-Rivière (naissance,décès), Saint-Joachim (mariage)
  • Il est nommé notaire royal dans l'étendue des paroisses situées à la côte du nord du gouvernement de Québec depuis la Petite-Rivière jusque et y compris la côte de Malbaie et l'Île-aux-Coudres le 30 décembre 1737 à la Petite-Rivière. Il est procureur de Louis Gilbert avant le 20 mars 1753. Michel Lavoye prend sa retraite et cesse de pratiquer en 1772.
  • Contrat de mariage entre Michel Lavoye et Marie-Josephte Filion le 7 novembre 1724 par notaire Barbel.
  • F. Doré, M. Cugnet et Michel Lavoye sont les constructeurs de la vieille église le 16 mai 1747 à Tadoussac, Québec.

Biography

Michel Lavoie, royal notary (1700-1779)

Michel Lavoie was born in Baie St-Paul, 6 March 1700 the wedding of René and Marguerite Bouchard Voye. The birth certificate reveals that Michel Tremblay and Louise Tremblay, wife of Ignace Gagné were the godparents. The act was signed by Father Pierre-Paul Gagnona. A few weeks earlier, on November 25, 1699, his maternal grandfather, Claude Bouchard (said the little Claude), a pioneer in Petite-Rivière St-François, died.

Michael was the seventh in a family of ten children. His brother Claude, ordained priest in Quebec, April 7, 1715, exercised parish ministry in the Baie St-Paul, in the death of the priest Jacques Leblond, "died while returning from the mission of Tadoussac. It is said that Claude was full of apostolic zeal and a beautiful and useful career before him when God called him to him two years later (13 February 1717). "

Michel replaced his brother to study at the Minor Seminary of Bishop Laval in Quebec City. He married on 10 May 1724 in St-Joachim, Marie-Josephte Filion, daughter of Jean and Françoise Filion Senard. This John Filion was the nephew of Michel Fillion, notary in St-Joachim. We find this marriage certificate including the marriage contract in the minute book of the Barbel notary, dated November 7, 1724. This act was signed by Michel Lavoye, René De Lavoye, Jean Filion, Jacques Bolduc, Ignace Gagne and De La Bouteillerie priest.

"Michel and Marie-Josephte had ten children; five boys and five girls:

Michel 1 b * August 14, 1725 at St. Paul's Bay; m * November 19, 1753 to Marie-Louise Simard, in the Rivière-Pte.

René 2 b March 12, 1727 in Baie St-Paul; m January 7, 1754 to Marie Agathe Tremblay in Riviere Pte.

Pierre 3 b August 30, 1728 in Baie St-Paul; m 17 November 1756, to Marie-Reine Dufour, in Pte-Rivière; s * January 30, 1811, in Cap St-Ignace.

Marguerite 4 b February 10, 1730 in Baie St-Paul; s April 1, 1731 in Baie St-Paul.

Honoré Joseph 5 b August 21, 1731 in Baie St-Paul; 1 m 19 April 1762 Genevieve Bolduc in St-Joachim; 2nd st July 2, 1764 to Madeleine Bernier, in Cap St-Ignace.

Jean 6 b February 27, 1733 in Baie St-Paul; s August 8, 1761 at Pointe-Rivière.

Marie-Joseph 7 b November 4, 1734 at Pointe-Rivière; m January 7, 1754 to Françoise Tremblay in Riviere Pte.

Madeleine 8 b December 28, 1736 at Pointe-Rivière; m 23 October 1756 to Jean-Baptiste Savard to Pte-Rivière.

Marguerite Genevieve 9 b March 18, 1738 at Pointe-Rivière; m 3 November in Antoine Tremblay-Rivière Pte.

B Émérance 10 b January 23, 1740 at Pointe-Rivière; m November 17, 1768 to Joseph of Voye in Baie St-Paul. " 2

Children from Michel Lavoie (the Voye) settled in the Baie St-Paul and Petite Riviere. One of them, according to the genealogist J. E. Roy Stone of Voye has set in Cape St. Ignatius and has taken root. According to the same genealogist, it would be the same Peter who gave birth to the Cap St-Ignace groups and Isle-aux-Grues, not Peter, son of René of Voye and Anne Godin as some genealogists the believed.

"On December 30, 1737, for the benefit of the inhabitants of Baie St-Paul and circumjacent parishes, Hocquart appointed Michel of Voye, to the office of royal notary in the extent of the parishes to the coast north of the Government of Quebec for Little River up to and including the coast of Malbaie and Île aux Coudres ... Michel of Voye resident in Beaupré bailiwick of the so-called Petite-Rivière St-François-Xavier. His study is considerable begins in the spring of 1738. It is interesting to visit for families Tremblay Simard, the Voye and Perron. It is the history of land ownership in this region so isolated from the rest of the colony. Michel of Voye, despite orders not hindered in any way to receive conventions where his relatives were interested. "

The royal notary, Michel Lavoie, practiced his profession of notary from 1737 to 1772. The commission seems to have been renewed under military rule according to critical inventory of royal notaries.

Michel of Voye was also involved in the cultivation of fields and build houses. It was he who built the old church of Tadoussac as attested inscription that was found on a lead plate buried under the foundations. Here one could read: "The year 1747, on 16 May, Mr Cugnet, farmer of the posts, F. Paré, clerk, Michel of Voye, building the church, Fr. Coquart, Jesuit, m has placed. "

According to Raymond Gariépy, Historical Society of Quebec, Michel LaVoye, notary possessed Earth No. 144 10 X 30 acres of frontage and depth in the Lands of the Petite-Rivière St-François. This land was obtained by the concession of 10 October 1749 and was included in the title of the next concession as it is written: "The southwest corner is just twenty acres of Creek Abatis taken to the high seas" .

"On 20 September 1663 the Sovereign Council of New France then made the following distinction:

- The royal notary is appointed by the king or his representative to instrument in a territory under direct royal authority;

- The manorial notary is appointed by the Lord to instrument within the said lordship. His fees are half those of the royal notary. "

According to the minutes of the repertoire of the notary Michel Lavoie (1737-1772), it is in these years, some 463 notarial acts. For the sole year 1746 some 42 acts were written in the book of minutes. "All these acts were deposited in the Archives of Quebec in October 1798 by the widow of notary Jean Nero. This directory includes the acts of April 4, 1737 to February 17, 1772, which corresponds to the years of notarial practice of Michel Lavoie. " Michel of Voye, royal notary, "as evidenced by a deed of agreement in the October 9, 1769, folio 65, between his eldest son Michael and his brothers, gave the latter. This agreement was made before notary Jean Nero who succeeded Michel Voye the notary in his charge. " This Jean Nero, notary, practiced at St. Paul's Bay 4 May 1768 June 14, 1798.

The indictment burial dated April 15, 1779, Michel Lavoie, widower of Marie-Josephte Filion, died April 8 in the Petite-Rivière St-François, having the Sacrament of Penance. In the audience were present LaVoye Jacques, Michel Tremblay, Jean Dufour and several other people as it is written on the act signed by Jean Antoine Crequy c priest.

Sources: Eloi-Gérard, Marist, Inventory marriage contracts at the Registry of Charlevoix-Saguenay and other historical documents, La Malbaie, Quebec, 1943, p.8.

view all 21

Michel Lavoye's Timeline

1700
March 8, 1700
Baie-Saint-Paul, QC, Canada
November 6, 1700
Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, QC, Canada
1725
August 14, 1725
Baie-Saint-Paul, Charlevoix Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada
1727
March 12, 1727
Baie-Saint-Paul, QC, Canada
1728
August 30, 1728
Baie-Saint-Paul, Charlevoix Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada
1730
1730
Petite-Rivière-Saint-François, Charlevoix, Québec, Canada
1731
August 20, 1731
Baie-Saint-Paul, Charlevoix Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada