Is your surname Andrus?

Research the Andrus family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Milo Andrus

Birthdate: (79)
Birthplace: Jay, Essex County, New York, United States
Death: June 19, 1893 (79)
Oxford, Franklin, Idaho, United States
Place of Burial: Holladay Memorial Park, Holladay, Salt Lake, Utah Territory, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Ruluf Andress and Azuba Andress
Husband of Emma Andrus; Ann Andrus; Sarah Ann Miles; Mary Ann Andrus; Francena Lucy Lucy Andrus and 3 others
Ex-husband of Abigail Jane Andrus; Lucy Loomis and Adeline Sproul
Father of Selestia 49th Child Andrus; Florence 51st Child Andrus; Elizabeth 52nd Child Andrus; Helena 48th Child Andrus; Mary Emma 50th Child Andrus and 53 others
Brother of Sybil Andrus; Oran Andress; Almon Andress; Sarah Minerva Abbott; Carlo Andrus and 8 others

Occupation: Missionary
Managed by: James Michael Christensen
Last Updated:

About Milo Andrus

Wikipedia Biographical Summary:

Milo Andrus (March 6, 1814 - June 19, 1893) was an early leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Andrus was born in Wilmington, New York to Ruluf Andress and Azuba Smith.

Andrus joined the LDS church in 1832 in Florence, Ohio. He was one of the members of Zion's Camp. He helped build the Kirtland, Nauvoo, Salt Lake, and Saint George Temples. He served as a missionary in England in the early 1840s.[1] He led three wagon trains of Mormon Pioneers from the Midwest to the Salt Lake Valley (1850, 1855, and 1861). He was a Bishop in Nauvoo, a Stake President in St. Louis, a member of the Quorum of the Seventy, and was serving as a Patriarch at his death.

While in St. Louis, Andrus preached many sermons. Among those who joined the church due to his preaching was Carl Eyring, who would latter serve many years as president of the Indian Territory Mission in Oklahoma, and who was the grandfather on the noted physicist Henry Eyring.

Andrus was a polygamist, and had 11 wives and 57 children.

Andrus was a major during the Utah War and was a chaplain of the Utah State Legislature. He built many roads in Utah and southern Idaho.

SOURCE: Wikipedia contributors, 'Milo Andrus', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 4 March 2011, 17:30 UTC, <> [accessed 1 April 2011]

Family Organization:


  1. Marriage 23 Feb 1823 (Age ) Abigail Jane Daley
  2. Marriage 1847 (Age 33) Sarah Ann Miles
  3. Marriage 1 June 1851 (Age 37) Lucy Loomis - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
  4. Marriage 27 March 1852 (Age 38) Adeline Alexander - Salt Lake, Utah
  5. Marriage 23 December 1852 (Age 38) Mary Ann Webster - Salt Lake, Utah
  6. Marriage 22 November 1855 (Age 41) Elizabeth Brooks - Salt Lake, Utah
  7. Marriage 22 November 1855 (Age 41) Ann Brooks - Salt Lake, Utah
  8. Marriage 22 November 1855 (Age 41) Jane Lancaster Munday -] Salt Lake, Utah
  9. Marriage 15 February 1857 (Age 42) Margaret Ann Boyce - [View Family (F1193)] Salt Lake, Utah
  10. Marriage 28 February 1858 (Age 43) Emma Covert - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah
  11. Marriage 6 December 1862 (Age 48) Francenia Lucy Tuttle - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah


  1. Abigail Jane Daley
  2. Adeline Alexander on 6 January 1864
  3. Emma Covert

Life Chronology:


March 23: "NOTICE. Whereas my son, Milo Andrus has left my employ, without any just provocation. I hereby caution all persons against harboring, trusting or employing him, as they will be prosecuted, according to the strict letter of the law. SOURCE: Ruluff Andrus, NORWALK REFLECTOR.


Feb 21: Marriage to Abigail Jane Daley.

15 Nov: birth of Mary Jane daughter of Abigail Jane Daley of Florence, Huron Co Ohio


14 June: Birth of James, son of Abigail Jane Daley.

June: Milo is listed as a "Minister of the Gospel, belonging to the Church of the Latter Day Saints" . Names include: Milo Andrus, Hiram Blackman, Jared Carter, Simeon Carter, Zebedee Coltrin, Perry Durfee, Jabez Durfee, Moses Daily, Edmond Durfee, James Daley, King Follett, Levi W. Hancock, Solomon Hancock, Nelson Higgins, Orson Hyde, Heber C Kimball, John E Page, Parley P Pratt, Orson Pratt, Sidney Rigdon, Sylvester Smith, Ira Ames, John Daily, and Joel L Johnson. SOURCE: Messenger and Advocate, Kirtland, Ohio.


Fall of 1837: To avoid confusion Milo was the branch president for the Florence Huron Co.,Ohio branch. He is instructed to take the people to Caldwell Co, and the advanced party leaves in fall of 1837 or thereabouts. There is a history somewhere of their travels including the fact that they wintered in Terre Haute, Indiana. Another group comes just as the battle of Crooked River happens in 1838 See Andrus recorder Vol 15 #1.

May 31: Sarah Ann Andrus, son of Abigai,l was born in Coldwell Co. Mo near Goose Creek.

Sep 17: Milo files a homestead on land on Goose Creek in Caldwell Co., Missouri, Neighbors are James Daley, John Whitmer and Hiram Page.


Sep 20: Milo filed for a land patent in Coldwell County Certificate No 11442 the document was recorded at Lexington.


23 Apr: John Daley Andrus, son of Abigail, was born in Woodville, Adams, Illinois.


December: Nauvoo City records indicate that a petition was granted to Milo Andurs to have Mulholland Street extended at least to the Andrus property.


"... I went in company with Elder Milo Andrus on a mission to Ohio. While preaching in Ohio, we heard of the disturbance at Nauvoo. We immediately left our place of labor and returned in haste to the Saints at Nauvoo. About one hundred fifty miles below, we met a boat coming down that gave us the news of the Prophet's death. A perfect shout was set up by the devils incarnate on our boat, who were on their way to Nauvoo to fight the Mormons. Had I possessed the strength of Sampson, I would, like him, have sunk the whole mess in one gulf of oblivion and sent them to their congenial spirits, the howling devils of the infernal regions..."

"On the morning of the 29th of June, we arrived at Nauvoo and went to the Mansion House, saw the bodies of the Prophet and Patriarch, lacerated and mangled with the gun shot wounds which they had received while prisoners and under the protection of the law. They were surrounded by hundreds of the Saints, crowding to get a last glimpse of those they dearly loved..." SOURCE: Journal of John Loveless

Milo is listed as the bishop of Nauvoo 5th ward. The ward boundaries were Cutler Street on the north; Mulholland Street on the south; the river on the west and east at least as far as the city limits. (Surveyed city blocks extended for 32 blocks east from the river).


Milo lived in the 5th ward in Nauvoo, 2340 East and 800 North or about 30 blocks east of the river on Mulholland St. This ward included the Nauvoo temple site.

31 Aug: Millenium Andrus, daughter of Abigail, born in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois.


Circumstances under which he left Nauvoo, he said:

"...We overtook the main camp at Mt. Pisgah, and from there went to Council Bluffs, where the government called on us for a battalion of 500 men to go to Mexico. After the battalion was started, I was sent forward with others to the number of one hundred and fifty wagons; went as far as the Pawnee Indian Village, then went 150 miles to the northwest among the Ponca Indians. After staying there two months, we went back to Winter Quarters. Stayed and farmed in that county in the year 1847; and in the spring of 1848, I was sent on a mission to England. Shortly before I left, Sarah Ann Miles was sealed to me, and she accompanied me to England.


19 Nov: Birth of Amanda Ann, daughter of Abigail, born in Mosquito, Pottawattamie, Iowa.


Mission to England. Milo Journal see Andrus recorder Vol 15 # 1page 12 +of 73 Arrives in England on 6 July 1848.

1 Oct: Birth of Milo Jr., son of Sarah Ann Miles, born in Liverpool, Lancanshire, England.


October, 15:

"...Still in Liverpool. I have just received a letter from William Lang of Madina, Madina Co., Ohio bearing the date 11 September 1849 bringing the news of the death of my father who departed this life on the 27th of June, 1849, at the advanced age of seventy-six years in the Township of Henrietta, Lorain Co. Ohio. He was buried by the side of my mother, who departed this life on the 1 Jan 1831 in the township of Norwalk, Huron Co., Ohio, in the fifty-seventh year of her age. She died about one year after the Gospel was restored by an Angel. They are interred in the Church yard in Henrietta near my brother's house. Thus our ancestors are gone, and their children grow up to manhood and womanhood. They are ten in number, four sons and six daughters. Milo, the youngest son, has embraced the fullness of the Gospel as revealed by the Lord in the Last Days, in consequence of which the balance of the family have cast me out of their feelings. The Lord be thanked I feel to rejoice that I am counted worthy to suffer for the truth's sake..."


Milo, Sarah Jane Miles, and Milo Jr. returned on the ship Argo departed on Jan 10 arrived March 8 New Orleans, 402 LDS aboard "...In 1850 the ship Argo was sailing blind in pitch darkness off the coast of Cuba when she narrowly escaped disaster. Suddenly the heavens were brightened by a strange light which showed a huge rock dead ahead. Captin Charles Mills, a veteran mariner, was able to turn the vessel and avoid what had seemed an inevitable collision...", The Saints interpreted the light as providential. SOURCE: Church Immigration records as reported in Saints on the Seas by Conway B. Sonne, University of Utah Press, 1993.

June: Milo leads the first company of saints that year west including Sarah Ann Miles and Milo Jr. 55 Wagons.

31 Aug: Milo arrives in Salt Lake City with 56 Wagons.


1 January: Wife Abigail Jane Daley divorces Milo.

June: Milo marries a widow named Lucy Loomis Tuttle.

November: Sarah Ann Miles dies.


March: Milo marries Adaline Alexander.

December: Milo Married Mary Ann Webster.


27 January: Birth of Laron Alexander, son of Adaline Alexander, at Big Cottonwood, (Holiday), Salt Lake, Utah.


30 Jan: Birth of Marlin, son of Mary Ann Webster.

28 Feb: Birth of Lavenia, daughter of Lucy Loomis Tuttle.

Milo leaves on a mission to St. Louis, Missouri.

Erastus Snow organized a stake of Zion in St. Louis, Missouri, with Milo Andrus as President, Charles Edwards as 1st Counselor and George Gardiner as 2nd Counselor In the Stake there were six wards in the city of St. Louis plus the following branches: Balfontaine, Keokuk, Ia., Bluff City, Iowa., Fairfield, Iowa, Centerville, Illinois, Maquoketa, Iowa, Alton, and Dry Hill (a total of 15 Wards and branches with a membership of 1,820).

2 November: Birth of Henrietta, daughter of Adaline, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), Salt Lake City, Utah.


Aug 5: Milo departs from Mormon Grove, Kansas leading 461 church members bound for Utah. They arrive on October 24, after traveling for 80 days.

30 August: Lewis, son of Adaline Alexander, born in Big Cottonwood (now Holiday), Utah.

22 November: Milo marries Adaline Alexander, Mary Ann Webster, Elizabeth Brooks, Ann Brooks, Jane Lancaster Munday in Salt Lake City.

Milo Jr. reports that his father brought the first peach orchard to Utah when he returned from St Louis. Milo must have also brought a thrashing machine in. Probably this was freighted with the Hindley Company early in the year. This is the company that Ann and Elizabeth Brooks come on with the Piano. I don't think that Milo would have wanted to face Brigham Young if he had left Brigham's thrashing machine in Iowa and brought his own thrashing machine or piano to Salt Lake on the same company.


July 9: Notice to farmers. "...Thrash your grain as soon as it is harvested...Having selected and brought through a machine that is well adapted to the grain raised here, and having long experience in the business, I hope to merit a liberal share of the public patronage...." Milo Andrus (living in 12 Ward and Big Cottonwood.)


24 September: Birth of Millard, son of Jane Lancaster Munday, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), SLC, UT.

September: In the DUP history of Salt Lake County is listed the donations from the Cottonwood Ward to the rescue of the Willie and Martin, Hunt, Hodget and Smoot companies Milo Sent a large amount of supplies and 3 wagons, teams etc.

1857 5 March: Birth of Alwilda Nancy, daughter of Ann Brooks, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), SLC, UT.

5 May: Birth of Alma, son of Lucy.

18 May: Birth of Marinda, daughter of Mary Ann.


1 Aug: Birth of Josephine, daughter of Jane.


19 March: Birth of Lyman, son of Mary Ann.

19 April: Birth of Charles, son of Ann.

20 May: Birth of Isadore, daughter of Margaret Ann Boyce.

28 June: Birth of Helena, daughter of Emma Covert.

Birth of Jacob, son of Lucy.

19 September: Milo leaves for England in company with Jacob Gates. Jacob keeps a day by day Journal. Eight men including Milo, Jacob, and William Gibson went. Milo records" first 6 Months traveled conference last 9 Months presided over Birmingham District including Birmingham, Warwickshire, and Staffordshire Conferences.

Jacob Gates journal is recorded in the Andrus recorder Vol 3 no 2 Oct 1967 available at the FHL, or Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. The Journal itself is available at the Church Historians Library.

Nov 13: Milo Arrival noted in the Millennial Star.


While Milo was in England on his mission his family built a hotel in Jordan bottoms where he had filed for 160 acres of Land. This area was called Dry Creek.


14 April: Birth of Lionia, daughter of Adaline in Salt Lake City, SLC, UT.


April 23: Milo leads a group of church members bound from England to America aboard the Underwriter a 1,168 ton ship left Liverpool to New York with more than 624 LDS members aboard.

May 22: Arrival after a passage 29 days.


12 September: Milo enters the Utah valley with an independent Company.


17 June: Birth of Hyrum, son of Margaret, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), Utah.

19 July: Birth of Randolph, son of Adaline, in Bingham Canyon, Salt Lake County, Utah.

6 October: Birth of Orson, son of Ann, in Bingham Canyon, Salt Lake County, Utah.

6 October: Birth of Parley, son of Ann, in Bingham Canyon, Salt Lake County, Utah.

18 October: Birth of Selestia, daughter of Emma, in Dry Creek (Murry), Utah.

6 December: Milo marries Francenia Lucy Tuttle.

Birth of Lucy, daughter of Mary Ann, in Big Cattonwood (Holiday), Utah.


Birth of Laura Elizabeth, daughter of Lucy, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), Utah.

6 September: Birth of Byron son, of Francenia Lucy Tuttle, in Draper, Utah.


2 April: Birth of Mary Emma, daughter of Emma, in Dry Creek (Murry), Utah.

14 August: Ward Court held and divorce granted for Milo from Adaline Alexander. Milo granted custody of 3 older children.

27 September: Birth of Sheriden, son of Mary Ann, in South Willow Creek (Murry), UT.


24 February: Birth of Esmarilda, daughter of Lucy, in Draper, Salt Lake County, Utah.


4 March: Birth of Mansfield, son of Margaret, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), Utah.

1 August: Birth of Oscar, son of Francenia, in Draper, Salt Lake County, Utah.

28 October: Birth of Sherman, son of Jane, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday), Utah.


5 February: Birth of Grant Webster, son of Mary Ann, in Dry Creek, (Murry), Utah.

4 December: Birth of Florence, daughter of Emma, in Dry Creek, (Murry), Utah.


28 May: Birth of Brigham Boyce, son of Margaret Ann, in Big Conttonwood (Holiday), UT,

13 July: Milo in Echo Canyon in charge of one of 45 camps working on Railroad.

20 September: Birth of Heber, son of Jane, Big Conttonwood (Holiday), Ut.


16 March: Birth of Elizabeth, daughter of Emma, in Mill Creek, Salt Lake County, Utah.

16 November: Birth of Minnie, daughter of Webster, in Dry Creek (Murry), Utah.

October: Milo served a "short mission to the States which began in late 1869 Called at October Conference.

Nov 10: from Omaha, Deseret Evening News quotes Omaha Herald ...People United..

Dec 29: Elder Milo Andurs wrote from Amherst, Loraine County, Ohio, Dec 29. His relatives were glad to see him, but had no interest in the Gospel. He had preached in six school houses, a church, and a town hall to full congregations, and had many conversations with all sorts of influential citizens. Not much interest was manifested, but two or three persons were baptized. (Siblings in area would have been Almon, Carlo, and Eveline Charlott). SOURCE: Millennial Star England)


Feb 19: Milo Andrus returns from mission.

6 April: Birth of Clarence Eugene, son of Ann, in Big Cottonwood (Holiday, Utah.


11 April: Birth of Ernest Amos, son of Francenia, in Draper, UT.

18 August: Birth of Newton, son of Jane, Draper, UT.


17 May: Birth of Horance, son of Margret, in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.

17 September: Birth of Carrie, daughter of Emma, in Mill Creek, Salt Lake, Utah.


12 September: Birth of Robert, son of Jane, in Draper, UT.

2 October: Birth of Nellie, daughter of Mary Ann, in Dry Creek(Murry), Utah.


6 June: Birth of William Spencer, son of Emma, in Dry Creek(Murry), Utah.

Milo moves to St. George to live the United Order. Travels through the Southern area with President Brigham Young, Apostle Erastus Snow and President Levi Hancock.

24 October: Birth of Margaret Ann, daughter of Margaret Ann, in Hamilton, Washington, Utah.


Living in Heberville or Price (Later Bloomington) Washington County. During the season of 1875 when the farm was operated by 12 men and boys under William F. Butler as superintendent. $175.00 applied on the debt. Wages were paid in produce. But this company broke up also. A new one consisting of 9 members, with Milo Andrus as superintendent bought the farm for $4,500.00. The members earned but $1.00 per day in produce and $.75 in capital Stock for the improvements added. These consisted of a large rock house, a water ditch, and a wheel for grinding sugar cane; they also paid $250.00 on the debt. This Cooperative farming seemed to be more than the managers could stand, for Milo Andrus resigned at the end of the season, and in 1877 William Lang took charge. Under him fair crops and wages were made, and some improvements were added to the farm. ..but resigned after Brigham's death Aug 29 1877.


5 January:Birth of Laura, daughter of Mary Ann, in St. George, Washington, Utah.


15 September: Birth of Joseph Boyce, son of Margret Ann, in St. George, Washington, Utah.


26 June: Birth of Evaline Charlotte, daughter of Margret Ann, in Price, Carbon, Utah.

1880 Census listed as living in St. George, Washington, Utah.


Milo was called to help establish a settlement on the Green River, at Blake City. The effort proved to be' a failure, and while he was there he and his wife Mary Ann Webster suffered a tragedy in the death by drowning of their daughter Minnie. More than usual anxiety was associated with her death due to the fact that the body was not recovered for nearly a month. Having reported the death in an earlier issue, the Deseret Evening News, June 15, 1881, said: "...Brother Milo Andrus, writing from Blake City on the 8th instant, informs us of the recovery of the body of his little daughter Minnie, who as recorded in the News at the time, was accidentally drowned in Green River, on the 13th of May. The body was recovered on the 6th inst., after being in the water 24 days, and was not marred, but in perfect state, excepting the loss of her hair. She was buried on the 7th inst. The numerous friends of Bro. Andrus will join with him in gratitude to Providence for the recovery..."


January 9: Erastus Snow nominates Milo Andrus for Chaplain of the Utah State Council (Senate) Legislature, after which Milo is elected.

February 25: Ernest Amos Andrus, the son of Milo and Francenia, was killed on a rabbit hunting trip in Spanish Fork (his mother was deceased and grandmother Lucy Loomis was raising him). The death is ruled accidental. . 1885

Milo living in Idaho.


"...Information has been received from Idaho, to the effect that Milo Andrus, of Oxford, was arrested the latter part of last week on the charge of unlawful cohabitation with his wives. Brother Andrus is about 75 years of age and cannot walk without the use of two canes. The anti-pologamy howlers will no doubt feel that a "great triumph" has been achieved..." Deseret News Vol 34 no 52 (13 Jan 1886)


December 7: Milo speaks at Eliza R. Snow funeral with Jacob Gates, John W. Taylor, Bishop O.F. Whitney and H. J. Grant.


"...A correspondent from Oxford, Idaho, states that Mr. Milo Andrus of that place is sick and that his recovery is doubtful. He is about seventy nine years old and seems to be nearly worn out. Elder Andrus was a member of Zion's Camp and also one of the early settlers of this Territory. His name is well known among the people..." SOURCE: Deseret Evening-News, XXVI (Mary 5, 1893), p. 5.

June 19: Milo Andrus dies. The Deseret Evening News, XXVI (June 21, 1893), p. 1, and the Deseret News Weekly, XLVII (July 1, 1893), p. 61, carried identical notices of his passing in which they stated, under the title "Milo Andrus":

"...A brief notice a day or two since announced the death of Milo Andrus, of whose long and eventful life the following particulars have since been received from an esteemed correspondent at Oxford.

"His death, which occurred at Oxford, Idaho, on June 10, 1893, was attributed to old age and general debility, he having reached the advanced age of 79 years, 3 months and 13 days. Deceased was born March 6th, 1814, at Essex county, New York; was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints April 12th, 1833, in Huron county, Ohio. He moved to Kirtland the same year, and was afterwards a member of Zion's Camp; moved to Caldwell County, Mo., in 1837 and afterwards to Nauvoo, Ill, crossing the plains to Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1850.

Deceased was a president of the Tenth Quorum of Seventies, a High Priest, a member of the High Council and a Patriarch in the Church. He was president of the Liverpool conference from 1848 to 1850, filled several missions to Europe, and at one time presided over the Birmingham district in England, comprising the Birmingham, Warwickshire and Staffordshire conferences. He presided at different periods of his life over companies of Saints crossing the ocean and also crossing the plains.

He made his home the past few years of his life in Oxford, Idaho. He was a man of sterling worth, and never "flinched" from any call made upon him. He was much beloved and revered by his family and friends, and respected, and admired by his enemies, for his unswerving integrity. He leaves a numerous posterity to mourn his loss. His demise was peaceful and easy, suffering no pain. He expressed himself as being satisfied with his work on earth and his willingness and desire to join the loved throng on the "other side," His posterity numbers 59 children, 170 grandchildren, and 75 great grandchildren...."


Milo (1814 - 1893). This grave is located in the Holiday Cemetery in the area of Salt Lake City, Utah. The grave is located part way up the little hill in the south-west section of this cemetery.

Milo Andrus Autobiography:

[Luara K Anderson: I feel it important to put Milo's autobiography into historical context, as there are numerous points that are likely the way he remembered them, but not historically verifiable. He would have been about 60 at the writing, with no records to go from.]

Milo Andrus, the author of this biography, is the son of Ruluf Andrus and Azuba Smith. My father is a native of Hartford, Connecticut, and my mother of Rutland, Vermont. [LKA: Almon and Harriett in 1880 census say he was born in Vermont.] They shortly after marriage [LKA: married about 1795] moved to Essex County, [LKA: In 1800 he is listed in Poultney, Vermont as Rufus.] state of New York, where they resided until their ninth child was born--seven boys and three girls, namely: Oran, Almon, Carlo, Erasmus, Harwin, Milo and Milo 2nd. Erasmus, Harwin, and Milo 1st died in childhood, the dates of their deaths I cannot give in consequence of a fire that burnt up the records of my father's family. The names of sisters were Sybil, Sarah, and Emily. My eldest brother, Oran, was born in 1797[LKA:10 Apr 1798]; Sybil was born in 1799;[LKA: 23 Apr 1796] Almon was born in 1801; [LKA: 10 Apr, 1800 in Poultney, Vermont.] the dates of the others I cannot give.

The writer of the above, Milo 2nd, was born March 6th, 1814. When five years old, my parents moved to Dunkirk, state of New York, where they resided one and a half years. During that time there was a circumstance occurred, that seems to me to show the protecting hand of the Lord over me. I went to the shore of Lake Erie and got into a skiff on the shore and went to sleep, when the wind arose and took the skiff on the lake, and it was not seen until nearly out of sight. I was then picked up still sound asleep. I have always thought that the Angel of Peace then watched over me. [LKA:The timing of this story is off, as the family moves to Brownhelm, Huron, Ohio--later called Henrietta--in the fall of 1817, which puts the 18 month time frame back to about April of 1816. This would make Milo just barely 2 when he moved to Dunkirk and 3-1/2 when he left. Perhaps the family visited Dunkirk when Milo was 5 years old.]

My parents then moved up the lake into the state of Ohio, in Huron County, township of Henrietta, [LKA: Henrietta is not formed until 1827-8] where they had three daughters born, namely: Eveline Charlotte, born October 7th, 1817; Lucina, born 1819; [LKA: According to her census and her family records she is born March 11, 1816, which would have been in the Dunkirk, New York era. Milo's date for her would have her married and having children by 14.] Harriet, born 1821. At the writing of this the two eldest of my brothers are still alive and three of my youngest sisters. [LKA: This puts the writing of the biography between Carlo's death in 1870 and Oran's death in 1874.] They have all rejected the gospel. [LKA: I believe that others in the family may have joined the church and then rejected it.]

My mother died January 1st, 1832. My father died in the winter of 1848. [LKA: 1849] I shall now drop the history of the balance of the family, and give a few incidents of my own history.

After the death of my mother, I bought the balance of my time until I was twenty-one of my father, for which I paid him one hundred and fifty dollars. In the spring of 1832, I met an elder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, though I should say, previous to this, that I had my mind much exercised about a future state, and had read the views of Alexander Campbell, and that being the nearest to the truths of the New Testament, I had been baptized by Elder Orson Hyde, [LKA: We have records that the Baptist church of Henrietta with Squire Abbott at the head had united with the Campbellites in 1828.] then a minister of that section; but when I compared the scriptures with the teachings of the elder of The Church of Christ, I found that he had the truth; after trying for nearly one year, I yielded to baptism.

One month and nine days previous to my baptism, I was united in marriage to Abigail Jane Daley, whose father had been baptized into The Church of Christ about one year before. We were married February 21st, 1833, baptized April 12th, 1833. I was ordained an elder May 5th, 1833, under the hands of Joseph Wood. Started on my first mission in June, 1833, in company with Joseph Wood, traveled a distance of seventy miles preaching every day and baptized three. [LKA: Joseph Wood was a church leader who later united with the RLDS Church.] We came to Kirtland where the Prophet Joseph Smith resided with his family. The quarterly conference that came off in a few days after our arrival, changed my traveling companion, and I was coupled with Ova Truman. Joseph Wood and his fellow laborer went to Philadelphia, and I with my new companion was sent to the southern part of the state of Ohio, to return in three months to the next quarterly conference. We were not very successful and baptized only two persons. After this conference, I was permitted to return home and preach among the branches until winter, when we had a call from the Prophet Joseph by his brother Hyrum to get ready and go with the company of elders to the state of Missouri, known as Zion's Camp. Our first daughter and first child was born November 15th, 1833. During the winter of 1833 and spring of 1834, we were instructed to labor and get all the money that we could, and to get good rifles, and make ready to start by the first of May, 1834. We accordingly started from Florence, Huron County, Ohio, on the 7th of May, 1834. These were from the Florence branch; Nelson Higgins, Hyrum Blackman, Asey Fields, and Milo Andrus. My brother-in-law, James Daley, went with us [Zion's Camp] as far as Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio, where we met with the Prophet Joseph, his brother Hyrum [?] and the rest of the camp from the East. Our leader was Elder Orson Hyde. [LKA: Orson Hyde's cousin Rebbecca Hyde married a Ebenezer Andrews/Andrus of Milan about a mile from Ruluf's hotel. I do not know of a connection yet, but it is interesting.]

There was one circumstance that occurred before we joined the main camp worthy of notice. As stated before, I had bought my time from my father, and had paid him the amount agreed upon, but still I was not twenty-one by ten months. On this account, and as he was so opposed to my going with the "Mormons," as he called them, he made an effort to stop me. As we had to pass his house on our way, [LKA: The hotel that we have a picture of in Laura's Corner at the site is near Norwalk on the way from Florence. I believe this is the area place that Milo is talking about.] we learned his intention to stop me at the county seat, Norwalk; and Brother Hyde had learned his plan, he went in and made inquiry about a road that we did not intend to travel, and then Brother Nelson Higgins and myself were directed to go around the city and take the road to Mansfield, [LKA: Nelson Higgins is later in the First Quorum of the Seventy with Milo, and is tied into the Henrietta settlers by a tie to the Durands. Ruluf would have recognized him and gone looking for Milo.] and he and the sheriff thinking that we would move slow, did not want to overtake us until we had camped, accordingly father, sheriff and driver drank freely, [LKA: Where were they drinking? Ruluf had a liquor license for his hotel in 1834. I believe the hotel in East Norwalk is where Orson Hyde found them and asked after the wrong road.] and when they started they took the road to Tiffin, that had been inquired after to mislead them, and they drove until long after dark, the team becoming tired they gave up the chase and heard of us the next morning forty miles on the road to Mansfield, and they felt as though they had been badly sold, and gave up and went home.

On the 11th of May, we joined the main [Zion's] camp west of Mansfield, and on the 12th the camp was organized, and the law of consecration was for the first time presented and we shelled out to the last cent, and our money went into a commissary's hands and our supplies were bought by him. I shall not try to name the particulars of this journey. We journeyed on causing considerable excitement, and receiving much good instructions from the Prophet Joseph.

After we got into the state of Missouri, or rather, before our company had crossed the Mississippi River, we went into the dense forest as a company, and there offered up to the Lord our fervent prayers, that He would spare our lives, and permit us to return to our families, and we felt that it would be so, and thanks be to the Lord not one of us were taken by the cholera that visited the camp that afternoon.

Two weeks after we landed on Fishing River, in Clay County, Missouri, where the revelation was given June 22, 1834 [D&C 105], that is recorded on page 345 in Book of Doctrine and Covenants [D&C 105]--New Edition of 1876. About this time the cholera made its appearance among us, as it had been predicted by the prophet. Thirteen of our good brethren were taken away by the dread monster. The camp broke up partly, and the Saints scattered around and the Lord turned away the scourge. After staying there three weeks, the Lord permitted us to return. We got back to our families the last of September, 1834, care-worn and much fatigued. I had the cholera on the way home, but the Lord healed me, and then we went on our way rejoicing.

The summer of 1835, I traveled in the state of New York with Nathan Baldwin, baptized several, and the following winter went to school in Kirtland, and in the spring of 1836, I was in Kirtland at the dedication of the temple and the endowment of the elders that the Lord had promised as a reward for their offerings. The blessings of the Lord were poured out abundantly. There is one thing that I would here relate, that was a great joy to me, and that was when the Holy Ghost was poured out on the elders, I saw fire descend and rest on the heads of the elders, and they spoke with tongues, and prophesied.

On our return to Kirtland from the mission in the East, I went to school in Kirtland, studied grammar, and then studied Hebrew under Professor [Joshua Seixas] of New York.

On going back to Florence, Ohio, I was chosen president of the Florence Branch, with instructions to move them to Missouri in the fall of 1836. We went as far as Terre Haute, Indiana, when being late and cold, we put up for winter. Our eldest son, James, was a babe three months old, and we came near losing him to human appearance, but the hand of the Lord was in it. We raised up a branch of the Church in that place.

Early in the spring of 1837, we started for Missouri, and arrived in Caldwell County in time to put in a crop. In 1838, we were mobbed out of the county. We had one child born in Missouri, a girl, namely: Sarah Ann. We went to Illinois in the winter of 1838 and the next summer we lost our little girl born in Missouri.

In the fall, after I had the chills and fever for two months and not able to scarcely walk, I was sent on a mission to Canada, but owing to the Patriot War, we were not permitted to go to Canada, and I spent the winter preaching in the state of Ohio--returned home in the spring of 1840, and spent my time in laboring and preaching in the counties around Nauvoo until the spring of 1844. I was then sent to the state of Ohio with Elder John Loveless. We traveled in the south part of Ohio for two months, when we heard of the assassination of the Prophet Joseph and his brother Hyrum. We went home as quick as steam would take us, arrived in time to see their mortal remains, before they were interred. I then went to Carthage Jail, where they were murdered, and saw the floor stained with the best blood of the present generation. The people were all fleeing for fear of justice overtaking them. I called at Hamilton's Hotel to see Elder John Taylor, who was wounded in the jail. Then went to Adams County, where my family had fled for safety. Found them well but much alarmed. [ We have always assumed that he meant his immediate family of Abigail and the children, His uncle in-law Uriah Hancock, and wife Polly or Mary Smith die in Adams Co in 1850 and 1855 respectively. Many of the Hancock cousins live in Adams Co for some years. See Hancock Genealogy]

After we had mourned the loss of our prophet and patriarch a few weeks, during which time I was chosen one of the Nauvoo police, I helped to watch the city by night and worked on the [Nauvoo] temple by day--got it so that the work of the endowments commenced in the fall of 1845 and winter of 1846. I spent six weeks of the time in the temple and was much blessed.

During the past four years, we had two more children born, namely: John D. Andrus and Millennium. After the death of the Prophet Joseph Smith, I was ordained one of the presidents of the 10th quorum of seventies. In the winter of 1846, my house, in the basement, was made into a wagon shop, and in the spring I started on our journey to the west. We overtook the main camp at Pisga, and from there went to Council Bluffs, where the government called on us for a battalion of 500 men to go to Mexico. After the battalion was started, I was sent forward with others to the number of one hundred and fifty wagons; went as far as the Pawnee Indian village, then went 150 miles to the northwest among the Ponca Indians. After staying there two months, we went back to Winter Quarters, stayed and farmed in that county in the year 1847, and in the spring of 1848, I was sent on a mission to England. Shortly before I left, Sarah Ann Miles was sealed to me, and she accompanied me to England.

We arrived in Liverpool the first of August, and on the 13th of August [1848] at a general conference, I was appointed president of the Liverpool Conference, which place I filled to the best of my ability until January, 1850, when I was released to come home. During my stay in that conference there were three new branches added and between two and three hundred added to the Church by baptism. I baptized thirty in one evening. The Lord made manifest His power in healing the sick and in blessing the Church with signs following the believers. Milo, Junior, was born in Liverpool, September 30th, 1848.

We left Liverpool in January, 1850, on board of the ship, Argo. Jeter Clinton presided over the company, we were eight weeks and three days on the ship from Liverpool to New Orleans; some sickness and two deaths on the passage. I was sick with the cholera, my wife had poor health all the way, Milo, Jr. was sick; we thought that he would die, but the blessings of the Lord brought us through. We came up the Mississippi River on board the steamer "Uncle Sam", Captain Van Dosen, master. We landed at Kanesville early in May; was organized in the first company of Saints early in June. I was chosen captain over 55 wagons. We had a good time on the plains, arrived in Salt Lake City on last day of August, having but one death on the journey, that of a stranger going to California. I baptized 15 persons on the journey. James Leithhead and Richard Hopkins were clerks of the company. A more full account of the mission to England is recorded in the 10th quorum of seventies record.

After one week's rest, I went to work in the 19th ward and built me a house; and about the 1st of January, 1851, my wife, Jane, and I parted. In June, 1851, I married the Widow Tuttle, and the November following my wife, Sarah Ann Miles died. I married Adaline Alexander in March, 1852. In December, 1852, I married Mary Ann Webster.

In the spring of 1854, I was sent to Saint Louis to preside over the stake there. Stayed there one year, rebaptized and confirmed about 800 saints. Was sent up the river to buy cattle for the emigration of 1855, and in the fall was appointed by E. Snow and D. Spencer to bring the last company of 63 wagons home; arrived in Salt Lake City in October, and in December same year, married Elizabeth and Ann Brooks and Jane Munday. In February, 1857, married Margaret Boyce and in February, 1858, was married to Emma Covert. Was acting bishop of Big Cottonwood ward in 1858, and in the fall of 1859 was appointed to another mission to England. The first six months I was appointed to travel in the conferences; the last nine months I presided over the Birmingham District, embracing Birmingham, Warwickshire, and Staffordshire Conferences.

In the summer of 1861, I started for home with 700 saints on board the ship "Underwriter." I was appointed president of the company, had a good passage to New York; no deaths. I was then appointed to take charge of 900 to Florence, Nebraska, on the cars. Stayed at Florence five weeks, and was then appointed captain to take a company of 66 wagons across the plains, and arrived in Salt Lake City in September, 1861. In the fall of 1870, I married Francena Tuttle. In the fall of 1870, I was again sent to the states on a mission. Came back in the spring of 1871. Since that time I have been in Utah on the home missionary list, and to work with my hands for a living. At this date, January 9th, 1875, I am living in St. George, Utah.

Additional Biographical Information:

In the winter of 1873 he went to St. George, southern Utah, and the following year he moved a part of his family to St. George, where he later tried to work in the United Order. In 1874 he was appointed a member of the High Council in the St. George Stake, and held that position until 1881, when he was called to take charge of a mission to Green River in Emery county. This mission, however, did not succeed, and he therefore returned to Salt Lake City. In the fall of 1882 he was appointed chaplain of the council of the Utah Legislature. In 1883 he moved to Cache Valley and located in Oxford in 1884. When the Oneida Stake of Zion was organized in 1884, he was chosen as a member of the High Council of that Stake and also appointed to preside over the High Priests' quorum. He was ordained a Patriarch in 1884. Ripe in years and faithful and true to his Church to the last, Patriarch Andrus died at Oxford, Oneida county, Idaho, June 18, 1893, leaving a large posterity.

Missionary work

Early in the history of missionary work in the Church, Milo was recognized as a forceful and successful expounder of the Gospel and was called to fill missions at various times and in various climes. He spent 13 years in missionary labors at home and abroad. His missionary activities are summed up in the following: Southern Ohio (1833), 5 months; Zion's Camp (1834), 6 months; Temple worker at Kirtland (1834), 6 months; State of New York (1835), 5 months; Canada (1841), 6 months; Ohio (1844), 7 months; Nauvoo Temple (1845, 8 months; Great Britain (1848), 2 years; St. Louis, Mo. (1854), 9 months; Salmon River, Idaho (1856), 15 Months in England; Great Britain (1859- 61), 2 MONTHS, and Ohio (1869), [Reading over these there are some which aren't correct as to duration. Laura]

  • Residence: Salt Lake, Utah Territory, United States - 1850
  • Residence: Salt Lake, Utah Territory, United States - 1860
  • Residence: Salt Lake, Utah Territory, United States - 1870
  • Residence: Saint George, Washington, Utah Territory, United States - 1880
view all 76

Milo Andrus's Timeline

March 6, 1814
Jay, Essex County, New York, United States
April 12, 1833
Age 19
Elizabeth, Union County, New Jersey, United States
November 15, 1833
Age 19
Vermilion, Huron, Ohio, United States
June 14, 1836
Age 22
Florence, Huron, Ohio, United States
May 31, 1837
Age 23
Goose Creek, Kingston Township, Missouri, United States
April 23, 1841
Age 27
Woodville, Adams, Illinois, United States
August 31, 1845
Age 31
Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, United States
November 19, 1847
Age 33
Mosquito, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States