About Mother of Richard de Hoghton
LITTLE PENDLETON, held in thegnage, was perhaps the remaining plough-land not accounted for in the inquest of 1311. It rendered 6s. to John de Lacy in 1241, (fn. 10) and appears to have been acquired by degrees by the Clitheroe family (fn. 11) and their successors. (fn. 12) Sibyl the daughter and heir of Robert de Clitheroe died in 1414, (fn. 13) and her daughter Joan, having no issue by her husband Sir Henry de Hoghton, endeavoured to divert the succession to his illegitimate son Richard. The attempt was defeated, but he was allowed to have Little Pendleton, (fn. 14) which his descendants (fn. 15) retained till the beginning of the 17th century.
- William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors). "Townships: Pendleton." A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911): 392-396. British History Online. Web. 17 April 2012. <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53139>