Nicholas Wood (Atwood)
|Birthplace:||Sanderstead, Surrey, England|
|Death:||Died in Sanderstead, Surrey, England|
|Place of Burial:||St Martin-in-the-Field, Westminister, Middlesex, England|
Son of John Hewson Atwood and Margaret Atwood
|Occupation:||Served Queen Elizabeth after the secod year of her reign. He was the Assistant Sergeant of the Queen's Carriages, with his coursin, John Ownstead as Sergeant., Assistant Sergeant of the Queen's Carriages|
|Managed by:||Andy Smith|
About Nicholas Wood
- Born Abt 1539 Sanderstead Court, Surrey, England 
- Died 10 May 1586 Sanderstead Court, Surrey, England 
- Buried 14 May 1586 St. Martin's Parish, Sanderstead, England 
- Father John "Hewson" Atwood, b. Abt 1490, Sanderstead, Surrey, England , d. Mar 1562, St. Martin-in-the-field, London, England
- Mother Margaret Grenville, d. 1558, , Surrey, England
- Olive Harman, b. 1548, d. 1603 Married 30 Jan 1569 St. Martins Parish, Sanderstead, England 
- 1. Johanem John Atwood, b. 04 Feb 1582, Gutton, Sanderstead, Surrey, England , d. Between 1619 and 1673
- 2. Alice Atwood, b. Jan 1574, St. Martins, or St. Martin-Field, London, England (not Alice Mullins)
- 3. Harman Atwood, b. Nov 1570, d. Dec 1653, Sanderstead Court, Surrey, England
- 4. Susan Atwood, b. Abt 1575
- 5. Johannes John Atwood, b. Abt 1576, d. Bef Sep 1644, Plymouth, Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts
- 6. Nicholas Atwood, b. Abt 1578, d. Abt 1602
- 7. Thomas Atwood, b. 04 Jul 1579, Westminster, Middlesex, England , d. Aft 1643
- 8. Jacobus James Atwood, b. Abt 1580, d. Bef 1643
- 9. Derick Atwood, b. Abt 1582, d. Abt 1583
- 10. Richard Atwood, b. Abt 1584, d. Abt 1603/04, Elstree, England
- 11. Oliver Atwood, b. Abt 1572, d. Bef 1586
There Is No Proof That Nicolas's Daughter Alice Was Married To William Mullins.
The Atwood family were benefactors to the Sanderstead Parish Church which was adjacent to their home, and John Atwood (Atwodde) and his wife, Denys, have a brass plaque in the church dated 1525. John’s grand son, Nicholas Wood-Atwood, who died in 1586, is identified as “of Sandersted Corte who served quene Elizabeth sens the second yearr of her rayne” on his brass in the church (Stephanson 1919). Several secondary sources cite the story that Queen Elizabeth I spent the night at Sanderstead Court while Nicholas Wood was the owner. - From Wikipedia entry for Sanderstead Court
- "The ancestry of one Atwood family" by Charles A. Atwood. Antioch, Ohio, 1965. Page 3.
- * Atwood, Elijah Francis, Ye Atte Wode Annals, p 5. Nicholas Atwood, or Wood, was born before 1539, hence probably at Sanderstead Court.
- * Atwood, Elijah Francis, Ye Atte Wode Annals, p 5. Nicholas died May 10, 1586, in Sanderstead and was buried in St. Martin's, May 14, according to the two parish registers, though his brass says he was buried May 12, in Sanderstead Church, evidently a guess of his grandson, Harman 2d.
- * Atwood, Elijah Francis, Ye Atte Wode Annals, p 5. Jan. 30, 1569, at St. Martin's he married Olive Harman, 1548-1603, daughter and heiress of James Harman.
- Many Atwood researchers who venture into the generations prior to John Hewson Atwood, circa 1490, appear to refer their research upon the work: "Ye Old Atte Wode Annals," by Elijah Francis Atwood (1928).
- The following example of Atwood's lineage sourced to::http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/k/e/l/Alice-B-Kelly/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-1316.html'''
- View Tree for Peter De WyckhurstPeter De Wyckhurst (b. Abt. 1180, d. 1203)
- Peter De Wyckhurst was born Abt. 1180 in Hooley House, Coulsdon, England, and died 1203.He married Lady De Wyckhurst.
- A long line of Atwood ancestry is listed in the book ""Ye Old Atte Wode
Annals" by Elijah Francis Atwood (1928).
The following shows the direct Atwood line down to immigrant ancestor John Atwood :
- Peter De Wyckhurst (1180-1203)
- William Atte Wode (1220-1278)
- Peter Atte Wode (1245-)
- William Atte Wode (1270-1 345) = Juliana
- Geoffrey Atte Wode (1295-1346)
- Peter Atte Wode (1320-1382) = L aurencia
- Peter Atte Wode (1360-) = Petronilla
- John Atte Wode (1400-) = Isabel la
- John Atwood (1445-1525) = Denes
- John Hewson Atwood (1490-1562) = Margaret
- Nicholas Atwood (1535-1586) = Margaret Harman
- John Atwood (1582-1644) = Joan Coulson
- John Atwood (1614-1675) = Sarah Masterson
- Peter deWyckhurst (who's su rname means; Wick - dwelling and hurst - a
wooded knoll)He was born about 11 95 and his wife is only referred to as Lady de Wyckhurst. No further info on her.
Children of Peter De Wyckhurst and Lady De Wyckhurst are:
- William Atte Wode, b. Abt. 1220, Hooley House, Coulsdon, England, d. Aft. 1278.
Nicholas Wood's Timeline
Sanderstead, Surrey, England
January 30, 1569
St. Martin, London London,England
August 28, 1572
August 28, 1572
St Martin in the Fields, London, , England
July 16, 1575
St. Martin's, Surrey Co, England
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, , England
January 4, 1576
St. Martin's, Surrey, England
St. Martin In The Field, Westminister, Middlesex, England
July 4, 1579
St. Martin, London, London, England