Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown
|Birthplace:||Ashford, Kent , England|
|Death:||Died in Edgartown, Dukes, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown
About Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown
Nicholas (Butler), Dorchester, came from Eastwell, in Co. Kent, it is said, with w. Joyce, three ch. of wh. one was John (possib. bapt. 22 Sept. 1645), and five serv. 1636, as by rec. of custom ho. at Sandwich, Eng. is pro. freem. 14 Mar. 1639; rem. 1651 to Martha's Vineyard, where descend. are yet. His d. Lydia m. 19 May 1646, John Minot of D.
From The History of Martha's Vineyard by Dr. Charles E. Banks: Volume II Annals of Edgartown: pp. 54 - 58 Sketches of the Early Settlers: NICHOLAS BUTLER:
The inventory of the estate, amounting to £92-0-6 is remarkable for the paucity of articles which should belong to a gentleman of his standing in life. It may be that he had given his household furniture, etc., to his children during his life.
Whether his wife Joyce was the mother of all his children is placed in the doubtful category by the apparently careful way in which he refers to "her children and my children," as though she had been a widow with children or that he had children by a former wife. No allusion is made in her will to children by a former husband. She survived as Nicholas Butler's widow for eight years, and died between March 13 and Oct. 28, 1680, leaving an estate valued at £165 - 2 - 0.
- Nicholas Butler, in Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 1:321.
- Ashford, Kent - Index of all known births, marriages and burials from c.1570 - late 1800's
- 1622 Jun 30 bap. . . . . Mary dau of Nicholas & 1622 Jul 11 bur
- 1623 Aug 14 bap. . . . . Mary, dau. of -do-.. . . . .
- 1623 Aug 24 bur. . . . . Mary, wife of Nicholas
- 1623 Jan 22 mar. . . . . Nicholas, wid., & Joyce Baker
- 1624 Jan 2 bap. . . . . John, son of -do-.
- 1625 Jul 24 bur. . . . . Lyddia, dau. of Nicholas
- 1626 Sep 17 bap. . . . . Henry, son of -do-.
- 1628 Feb 23 bap. . . . . Lyddia, dau. of Nicholas
- 1631 Aug 28 bap. . . . . Thomas, son of Nicholas & 1631 Sep 24 bur
Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown's Timeline
Ashford, Kent , England
January 2, 1625
Eastwell, Ashford, Kent, England
September 7, 1626
Ashford, Kent, England
February 23, 1629
Ashford, Kent, , England
August 13, 1671
Edgartown, Dukes, Massachusetts