Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown
|Birthplace:||Ashford, Kent , England|
|Death:||Died in Edgartown, Dukes, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Erica "the Disconnectrix" Howton|
About Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown
Biographies Butler Family of Massachusetts Source: Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of the State of Massachusetts, Cutler and Adams (1910).
Transcribed by SueAnn McKnight.
Nicholas Butler, immigrant ancestor, of Eastwell, England, a yeoman, according to his statement when coming to America, with his wife Joyce, three children and five servants, came from Sandwich, England, before June 9, 1637, and settled in Dorchester, Massachusetts. He was a proprietor before September 10, 1637. Their names appear on the passenger list of the ship "Hercules," sailing June, 1637. He was admitted a freeman March 4, 1638-9, and is called "gentleman" on the records, a position one might suppose belonged to him from the number of servants. He was a town officer and leading citizen in Dorchester. He removed to Martha's Vineyard in 1651, when he gave a power of attorney to his son John for sale of lands, etc. He sold land in Roxbury in 1652. He died at Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, August 13, 1671. The will of Joyce, his widow, mentions her grandchildren John and Thomas Butler, Mary Athearn, and Hannah Chadduck and son Henry. Children: 1. Rev. Henry, schoolmaster of Dorchester in 1652, proposed for minister at Uncatie, England, 1656: settled at Seoul. Somerset, until August 24, 1662, later at Williamfray, five miles from Frome; persecuted by authorities. 2. John, mentioned below. 3. Lydia, married May 19, 1647, John Minot, of Dorchester.
Nicholas (Butler), Dorchester, came from Eastwell, in Co. Kent, it is said, with w. Joyce, three ch. of wh. one was John (possib. bapt. 22 Sept. 1645), and five serv. 1636, as by rec. of custom ho. at Sandwich, Eng. is pro. freem. 14 Mar. 1639; rem. 1651 to Martha's Vineyard, where descend. are yet. His d. Lydia m. 19 May 1646, John Minot of D.
From The History of Martha's Vineyard by Dr. Charles E. Banks: Volume II Annals of Edgartown: pp. 54 - 58 Sketches of the Early Settlers: NICHOLAS BUTLER:
The inventory of the estate, amounting to £92-0-6 is remarkable for the paucity of articles which should belong to a gentleman of his standing in life. It may be that he had given his household furniture, etc., to his children during his life.
Whether his wife Joyce was the mother of all his children is placed in the doubtful category by the apparently careful way in which he refers to "her children and my children," as though she had been a widow with children or that he had children by a former wife. No allusion is made in her will to children by a former husband. She survived as Nicholas Butler's widow for eight years, and died between March 13 and Oct. 28, 1680, leaving an estate valued at £165 - 2 - 0.
- Nicholas Butler, in Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 1:321.
- Ashford, Kent - Index of all known births, marriages and burials from c.1570 - late 1800's
- 1622 Jun 30 bap. . . . . Mary dau of Nicholas & 1622 Jul 11 bur
- 1623 Aug 14 bap. . . . . Mary, dau. of -do-.. . . . .
- 1623 Aug 24 bur. . . . . Mary, wife of Nicholas
- 1623 Jan 22 mar. . . . . Nicholas, wid., & Joyce Baker
- 1624 Jan 2 bap. . . . . John, son of -do-.
- 1625 Jul 24 bur. . . . . Lyddia, dau. of Nicholas
- 1626 Sep 17 bap. . . . . Henry, son of -do-.
- 1628 Feb 23 bap. . . . . Lyddia, dau. of Nicholas
- 1631 Aug 28 bap. . . . . Thomas, son of Nicholas & 1631 Sep 24 bur
Nicholas Butler, of Eastwell & Edgartown's Timeline
Ashford, Kent , England
January 2, 1625
Eastwell, Ashford, Kent, England
September 7, 1626
Ashford, Kent, England
February 23, 1629
Ashford, Kent, , England
August 13, 1671
Edgartown, Dukes, Massachusetts