|Birthplace:||Callander, Lanarkshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Cleveland, Emery, Utah, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Cleveland, Emery, Utah, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Parlan McFarlane
Parlan McFarlane (1828-1903). Trained as stonecutter in Scotland. Left when family died of smallpox. Married a survivor of the Willie Handcart Company. Called as an early settler of Sanpete County, Utah. Served as doctor in Sanpete and Emery counties.
Served as Judge in Sanpete County, County Commissioner, Mayor of Ephraim for 14 years and directed building of the Sanpete Stake Tabernacle.
A Great Heart Beats No More
Cleveland morns the death of one of the most respected citizens, Parlane Mc Farlane, who died there during the week of April 24. The leading citizen was a pioneer of the town, and had lived there for 5 or 6 years.
He formerly lived in this city where he made a name for himself and was held in high esteem by all that knew him. He was Probate Judge of Sanpete County. For years he was mayor of Ephraim, county commissioner justice of the Peace and held other public offices, with credit to himself and to the public.
It was during the diphtheria epidemic, in Sanpete that the noble character, the great heart and unselfish disposition of Parley Mc Farlane applied his mind and gave his time to the suppression of the dreaded disease, and no one learned in the profession of medicine was at that time more successful in treating the disease. The incentive being that of his great love for the fellow beings which filled his heart to overflowing. No thought was given of himself, and day and night and succeeding days was devoted every minute that he could to the care of others. Finally, the great labor drained him of his strength and the very life of the too willing Samaritan and left him an almost physical wreck, and almost totally blind.
He experienced no pain, it was simply that machinery of his body finally gave way.
His sleep will be peaceful and without fear, or pain. Peace be to his ashes….
SOURCE: (copied from the Ephraim Enterprise, May 14, 1903)