Patience Rozsa

Is your surname Rozsa?

Research the Rozsa family

Patience Rozsa's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Patience Rozsa (Loader)

Birthplace: Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire, England
Death: Died in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States
Place of Burial: Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, USA
Immediate Family:

Daughter of James Loader, Jr. and Amy Loader
Wife of John Bond Archer and John Eugene Rozsa
Mother of Ruth Johnson; John James Rozsa; Frank Rozsa; Joseph William Rozsa and Amy Rozaila Rozsa
Sister of John Loader; Ann Paul; Zilpah Jaques; Tamar Ricks; Maria Harris and 4 others
Half sister of Jane Loader; Emma Loader and Eliza Loader

Managed by: Della Dale Smith-Pistelli
Last Updated:

About Patience Rozsa

Birth: Aug. 23, 1827, Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire, England

Death: Apr. 22, 1921, Pleasant Grove, Utah County, Utah, USA

Burial: Pleasant Grove City Cemetery, Pleasant Grove, Utah County, Utah, USA, Plot: B-25-004-07

Daughter of James Loader and Amy Britnell

Married John Eugene Rozsa, 8 Dec 1858, Jordan Bridge, Utah, Utah

Children: John James Rozsa, Frank Loader Rozsa, Amy Rosalie Rozsa, Joseph William Rozsa

Married John Bond Archer, 1877

History: Patience Loader Rozsa Archer. Mrs. Archer, in telling of her handcart experiences, told of her pleasant girlhood spent in a cottage on the estate of Sir Henry Lambert in Oxfordshire, England. Her father was head gardener on this estate for 25 years. When she, with her family, joined the L. D. S. Church and emigrated to New York, they expected to work there until they had earned enough money to equip them for the journey across the plains, but were soon told to join the Saints in Iowa to leave with the Edward Martin handcart company. They left Florence, Nebraska, August 25, 1856, but were soon delayed by the birth of a baby to Mrs. Archer's sister, Zilpah. They loaded the sick woman and her baby and another small child on the handcart and from then on made very slow progress. William Cluff came to their rescue by roping the carts to his saddle and pulling them many miles. "After he left us," said Mrs. Archer, "five Indians came upon us, demanding our food. We showed them the sick woman and they hurried away, fearing some dread disease."

At another place, a Mr. Babbitt rode up to them on his horse. He asked if anyone would like to ride with him. Mrs. Williams, worn out with carrying her baby, accepted his offer. A few days later the company stopped where a campfire still burned. There, beside some newly made graves, was Mrs. Williams' green sunbonnet. Part of the party had been killed. A teamster who escaped told the sad story. After that, they did not dare build a fire to prepare food for the sick ones.

Mrs. Archer said, "As we neared the mountains, food became so scarce that we were cut to four ounces of flour per person per day, which my mother made into biscuits and gruel. It was so cold that our clothing froze to us as we forded the streams. Father, in addition to pulling the heavy carts, had to help supply the firewood. At times he walked many miles to get enough for our use. He became ill, and when he was too weak to walk we put him in our cart. He died on September 24th. The rest of us were so weak and tired that we wanted to lie down and never get up. When the men asked me and my sister to sing at campfire programs, our mother explained that we had to save our little strength for gathering wood.

"When we faced starvation, we prayed for help. Next morning we found a discarded beef head, which mother gratefully made into lifesaving soup.

"To this stranded company on the Sweetwater, President Young sent a rescue party. The wagons brought food and clothing. Carts were abandoned. Teamsters helped us to get wood. One man, seeing an abandoned log-hut, struck out a log with his ax and split it up. He shared this wood with us." —Lucile Harvey Walker.

Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol. 6, p. 377

In 1872, mother went to the Miller Mine in American Fork Canyon to cook for 60 men, with a girl as helper. After the mine closed down, they all left except a few to guard it. They wanted mother to stay, it was such cold weather, but she said no. The man gave her overalls, boots and warm socks and wrapped ore sacks around her feet and limbs, then rolled her in a wagon cover and tied a rope to it, giving her a pole to balance with, and they started out to pull her down the mountain side. A dangerous undertaking as the snow was so deep and the weather so cold. When they arrived at the smelter they put her to bed. Next morning they started out again, mother with two men following. The men taking hold of a long handled shovel and mother bearing her weight in the center. However, she soon gave out and the men carried her for awhile. They met her brother-in-law, George Harris, and his son, George, going to the mine, but they went back to Deer Creek helping to carry her. She remained here for two weeks, then went down the canyon on a bobsled, the horse taking the R. R. track and she arrived home safely.

The next season she took us children as helpers and went to Deer Creek to cook for thirty men. We each had our regular work to do forenoons and afternoons before we could go play. She paid us a small wage, which we saved as there was no place to spend money, and bought our clothes in the Fall.

About 1876, mother married John H. Archer. He lived to be 86. Mother was always happy and pleasant with children. She enjoyed their company and liked to see them have a good time. Our house was a place where children and young folks could come and have a good time. We used to have our parties and dances in our homes. The Halliday boys, Frank Fenton and Joseph Eaton would furnish the music and all the children in the neighborhood would be invited. Refreshments were popcorn, molasses candy, doughnuts and apples, some brought in by mother.

A little boy, George Hathaway, made his home with her for a long time. Her cousin, Ellen Croxford, died and left an infant son, Barton, whom she took home and cared for for over two years. She loved these children and hated to part with them. Later she adopted a sweet little girl baby, Ruth, whom she raised to womanhood and dearly loved as her own. Ruth was active in school and church duties, which was a great joy for mother. She said, "Ruth is a comfort to me and will be a blessing to you, Amy. You will both have to love and help each other." Mother told Ruth if she got married, which she did, she was to always look out for me, and Ruth said she would. I can say she has kept her promise to mother and we are happy together.

Mother had a strong social nature, was noted for her hospitality and had many friends, young and old. Many times the officers of the Mutual, Primary, Sunday School, and Deacons brought their classes to our home to hear her relate experiences and teach them the Gospel. She was a teacher in the Relief Society for many years and later the president for a few years, resigning on account of failing health. She loved to do charity work among the sick and unfortunate and used to say to us that by helping others we will be blessed and find it a great pleasure. Mother was always cheerful and looked on the bright side of life. She learned to play the organ after she was 80. She was by nature spiritually minded and was always valiant in teaching the Gospel of Christ, both by word and correspondence. Her letters to friends and missionaries often contained clippings and gems of truth. She was spry and active until her death.

Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 14, p. 266



James Loader (1799 - 1856)


Amy Britnell Loader (1802 - 1885)



John Eugene Rozsa (1820 - 1866)


John Bond Archer (1820 - 1909)



John James Rozsa (1860 - 1944)*


Frank Rozsa (1862 - 1866)*


Joseph William Rozsa (1864 - 1942)*


Amy Rozalia Rozsa (1866 - 1957)*


Ruth Archer Johnson (1901 - 1974)*

Created by: S.M. Smith

Record added: Jun 26, 2007

Find A Grave Memorial# 20112037

view all

Patience Rozsa's Timeline

August 23, 1827
Oxfordshire, England
January 30, 1860
Age 32
Utah County, Utah, USA
September 19, 1862
Age 35
District of Columbia, United States
November 30, 1864
Age 37
District of Columbia, United States
February 15, 1901
Age 73
Pleasant Grove, Utah, UT, USA
April 22, 1921
Age 93
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, USA