Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1948
|Birthplace:||London, Middlesex, England UK|
|Death:||Died in London, Middlesex, England UK|
|Managed by:||Michael Lawrence Rhodes|
Historical records matching Patrick Blackett, Baron Blackett, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1948
About Patrick Blackett, Baron Blackett, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1948
Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett, Baron Blackett OM CH FRS was an English experimental physicist known for his work on cloud chambers, cosmic rays, and paleomagnetism. He also made a major contribution in World War II advising on military strategy and developing Operational Research. His left-wing views saw an outlet in third world development and in influencing policy in the Labour Government of the 1960s.
Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett, Baron Blackett
- Born on 18 November 1897 at Kensington, London, England.
- Son of Arthur Stuart Blackett and Caroline Frances Maynard.
- Married Costanza Bayon, daughter of Eugenio Bayon, in 1924.
- Died on 13 July 1974 at age 76.
- Educated in 1910 at Royal Naval College, Osborne, Isle of Wight, England.
- Educated in 1912 at Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, Devon, England.
- Fought in the Battle of the Falklands in 1914.
- Fought in the First World War between 1914 and 1919, with the Royal Navy.
- Fought in the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916.
- Educated in 1921 at Magdalene College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Invested as a Fellow, Royal Society (F.R.S.) in 1933.
- Professor of Physics between 1933 and 1937 at Birkbeck College, University of London, London, England.
- Professor of Physics between 1937 and 1953 at University of Manchester, Manchester, Lancashire, England
- Decorated with the award of the Royal Medal of the Royal Society in 1940.
- Decorated with the award of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1948.3
- Professor of Physics between 1953 and 1965 at Imperial College of Science, Technology, London, England.
- Invested as a Companion of Honour (C.H.) in 1965.
- President of the Royal Society (P.R.S.) in 1965.
- Decorated with the award of the Order of Merit (O.M.) in 1967.
- Created Baron Blackett, of Chelsea in Greater London [U.K. Life Peer] on 27 January 1969.
Children of Patrick Maynard Stuart Blackett, Baron Blackett and Costanza Bayon
- Giovanna Blackett b. 1926
- Nicholas Blackett b. 1928
Royal Navy Officers 1899-1919
- Record set Royal Navy Officers 1899-1919
- First name(s) Patrick Maynard Stuart
- Last name Blackett
- Birth year 1897
- Rank Lieutenant
- Country United Kingdom
- Birth date 18 Nov 1897
- Enrollment date ? Sep 1910
- Archive reference ADM196/120