Patrick Joseph Stone
|Also Known As:||"Joe"|
|Birthplace:||Geraldton, WA, Australia|
|Death:||Died in Perth, WA, Australia|
Son of James Stone and Mary Jane Stone
|Managed by:||Ian Alexander Stone|
Matching family tree profiles for Patrick Joseph Stone
<private> Lindsay (Stone)child
About Patrick Joseph Stone
About the name : a number of the family members whose first name was 'Patrick' were known by their second name. Patrick Joseph was usually called Joe or Joseph and in the Electoral rolls he is recorded as Joseph until they started making the rolls more accurate from the 1940's.
Western Australian Birth registration index record for Patrick Joseph Stone, father James Stone; mother Mary Hogan, born Geraldton, No. 24492 of 1883.
The WA Record, Saturday 27 November 1897, p. 9
An article on a presentation made to the Catholic Bishop of Perth, Most Reverend Dr. Matthew Gibney from the students of the Christian Brother's College, Perth, presented by one of the senior pupils, Master St. John Symthe, supported by fellow students, Masters Gerald Quinlan and P. J. Stone.
The Western Australian Directory (Wise's) 1903 lists (p134) Geraldton : Stone, Jos.
The Western Australian Directory (Wise's) 1904 lists (p144) Geraldton : Stone, Jos.
Before, during and after World War I, Joe was a gold miner at different mines, first in the Murchison Goldfield and later at Bullfinch in the Yilgarn Goldfield in Western Australia, and then after World War I at Misima Island in Papua New Guinea.
According to his son Vincent, when Joe had completed his schooling in Perth and had returned to Geraldton, he rode his push bike east to the Murchison Goldfield for work. He went searching for work with his mate Harry Dare. If the mine manager was Cornish, Harry would ask for a job and then one for his mate; if the mine manager was Irish, Joe would ask for a job and then one for his mate. The Murchison Goldfield is located inland east of Geraldton. Gold had been discovered there in 1890 and the early prospectors and miners would sail to Geraldton then walk or ride horses or camels east several hundred kilometres to the different localities where gold was found. Later there was a railway line east from Geraldton and north from Kalgoorlie. The climate is semi-arid to arid, with very hot summers with temperatures regularly over 40° C and little water, with dry spells lasting several months being common. Due to an eye infection he sustained while gold mining, he was rejected by the army when he tried to enlist with his mining mates at the outbreak of World War I, due to poor eyesight.
1906 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Lennonville, Miner. (Lennonville was a mining town near Mount Magnet, in the Murchison Goldfield, about 340 km east of Geraldton, established in 1898, after gold was found there in 1894. At the peak of its existence, at the turn of the 20th century, the town had a population of 3,000 and five hotels, outperforming nearby Mount Magnet and Boogardie. By 1909, however, the town was already in decline and, after a huge fire swept through the main street of the town, a general exodus began and it had been abandoned by the outbreak of World War I in late 1914).
24 September 1907 Joe was in Geraldton as Best Man at his sister Sicily's wedding to John Willcock.
1909 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Sandstone, miner. (Sandstone is located 157 kilometres east of Mount Magnet).
1910 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Sandstone, miner.
The Western Australian Directory (Wise's) 1912 lists (p856) : Stone, J. Day Dawn.
1912 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Fingall Hotel, Heffernan Street, Day Dawn, miner. (Day Dawn is about 7 km from Cue and about 400km east of Geraldton. The mine was operated by the Great Fingall Consolidated Gold Mining Company).
The Western Australian Directory (Wise's) 1913 lists (p872) : Stone, J. Day Dawn.
1913 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Bullfinch, Millman. (Bullfinch is 400 km east north east of Perth, about 35 km north west of Southern Cross in the Yilgarn Goldfield. Gold was first discovered in the area in 1909 and the town gazetted in 1910. There were several mines around Bullfinch, which closed at different times, resulting in the miners and their families moving out and houses being transported to different towns in WA. In 2002 the last remaining mine closed. From a peak of about 1,500 people, the current (2016) population is about 25).
A millman operated the stamp mill (also called a stamp battery or battery), which crushed the mined ore by pounding rather than grinding. Stamp mills were common throughout the WA goldfields, both privately and government owned. The crushed ore is then processed to extract the gold.
28 January 1914 Joe was in Geraldton, giving away his sister Ursula at her wedding to Maurice Kennedy.
The Kalgoorlie Miner, Wednesday 27 May 1914, p 2.
Bullfinch. A pleasant night's entertainment took place in the Miners' Hall last night. The entertainment took the form of a euchre party and dance. The hall was well filled. The ladies' prize in the euchre, tournament went to Mrs. E. Edwards, and the gentleman's prize to Mr. James Dillon. The "booby" prize (ladies) went to Miss Jessie McDonald, and the gentlemen's to Mr. J. Stone. ...
Sometime before the outbreak of World War I, Joe contracted Trachoma, also called granular conjunctivitis, and commonly 'sandy blight' (a contagious, chronic inflammation of the mucous membranes of the eyes caused by the trachoma organism, Chlamydia trachomatis) and as a result had poor eyesight. When war was announced he joined his mates to enlist in the army but he was rejected because of his poor eyesight. He wore glasses all his life from when he contracted the 'sandy blight'.
1915 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Bullfinch, Millman.
Western Australian Marriage registration index record for Patrick J. Stone marrying Lilian M. Farnham, Claremont registration district, No. 65 of 1916.
How did they meet? According to son Vin, his mother Lilian had gone to Bullfinch to work in a store there, and as her occupation was listed as a dressmaker in the 1914 electoral roll, probably Brennan Bros, Drapers. At the time Bullfinch had a population of about 800 people, and with almost all the eligible men away fighting, Joe would have been one of the few men of her age in the town.
Married in St Lukes Anglican Church, 20 Monument Street, Mosman Park. The current Rector (2013) is the Reverend Angela Webb, a granddaughter of Joseph and Lilian. Son Vincent remembers that his father was upset that other members of the Stone family did not attend the ceremony because it was being held in an Anglican Church not a Roman Catholic Church.
1916 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Bullfinch, Millman. Also listed: Lillian May Stone, married.
1917 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, Bullfinch, Millman. Also listed: Lillian May Stone, married.
The Western Argus (Kalgoorlie), Tuesday 16 January 1917, p4
An article 'North Yalgarn, Bulfinch, Jan. 6 describes the activities of the few prospectors left, as almost all of the able bodied men had enlisted in the army and were fighting in France. 'Golden Valley. There is very little doing in this centre. Messrs. Hackett and Muir are raising a crushing from the old Kathleen mine, and they expect to crush shortly. Messrs. Antoguoli and Stone are on a low grade proposition, but being near a battery they expect to make good wages. ' [In a 1919 diary entry Joe wrote on Misima Island, he notes writing to Mr Antoguoli].
Kalgoorlie Miner, Tuesday 30 January 1917, p 1.
FAREWELL TO VOLUNTEERS. Bullfinch Jan. 25.
Privates Frank Henery, George Mann, S. Morgans, and W. W. Tully visited Bullfinch during the week on their long leave from Blackboy Hill camp, and on Wednesday evening a surprise party gathered at Mr. F. J. Mann's residence, in honour of Privates Geo. Mann and S. Morgans, the other two having had to return to camp earlier. There were about 50 present, and a most enjoyable evening was spent, under the chairmanship of Mr. F. Dare. Those who contributed to the programme of vocal and instrumental music and recitations were Mesdames Maloney and Tully, Miss Durbridge, and Messrs. Geo. Mann, Simpson, Beech, Hawkins, Dilkn S. Morgans, and Master Tully. Accompaniments were played by Mesdames Byron, Maloney and Tully, and Mr. Beech. Dancing and games were also greatly enjoyed. After the toast of 'The King,' Mr. W. Bynon proposed the toast of the parting guests, mentioning that Mr. Geo. Mann had tried to enlist four times, and at last succeeded. Mr. Morgans had joined the Railway Corps. The toast was supported by Messrs. Stone, Lin, Lorraine, and Tully. Privates J Morgans and Mann suitably responded. Other toasts were: — 'The parents of the departing guests,' proposed by Mr. J. Stone, and responded to by Mr. F. J. Mann ; 'Returned Soldiers,' proposed by Mr. H. J. Tully. and responded to by Mr. J. Johnston, a returned soldier. On Thursday evening the Bullfinch Rifle Club tendered Privates Morgans and Geo. Mann a send-off at the Exchange Hotel, Bullfinch, the latter having been captain of the club, and the former a prominent member. The guests had to leave at 9 o'clock for Southern Cross to catch the express for Blackboy Hill camp, and three car loads of friends motored to the train to see the volunteers off.
All Eligibles Enlisted. Mr. C. A. Hudson, M.L.A. for the district, paid Bullfinch a flying visit to form a committee in connection with the new recruiting scheme. On arriving Mr. Hudson learned that all the eligible young men had enlisted. There is not an eligible Britisher in Bullfinch to recruit, so it was not necessary to form a committee.
Daughter Hilda was born 22 December 1917 in Perth at 113 Woolwich street, Leederville, where wile Lilian's mother was living.
Towards the end of World War I, Joe decided to try his luck at a gold mine on Misima Island in the Louisiade Archipelago in Papua New Guinea. Leaving pregnant wife Lilian (he may not have known she was pregnant) and daughter Hilda, presumably with her family, as son Vincent was born 22 March 1919 at Maylands, in an upstairs room of the grocery store the Farnhams had set up in Perth, Joe sailed for Papua New Guinea.
Joe kept a diary for part of 1919, and in the 'notes from 1918' he recorded :
Arrived at Misima Island (Papua) on Dec 2nd [ie December 2 1918] after three days in the Auxiliary Schooner Umuna from Samarai being in the latter two days. Rained heavily from the port to the mine. Started work on Block 10 Misima G.M. on Dec 3rd. Taking out excavations for new treatment plant. Training twenty one boys for a gang. Lent Bugham 10/-
Joe had gone to Papua New Guinea, son Vincent was born in March 1919 in Maylands where his wife Lilian's family lived and Lilian, daughter Hilda and Vincent then went to Geraldton and stayed with his family (as Vincent was baptised in Geraldton) until they received word that accommodation was available on Misiam Island. Daughter Olive was born at Samari Island, Papua New Guinea, on 24 August 1921. Samari Island was the administrative center for the area Misima island was located in.
Joe's diary entry for 1 January 1919 recorded :
Started the year by baking the bread for the camp. Four of us in the camp, Lewis, Batey, Leppard & myself; each taking month about. Bread pronounced a success by all. Went up to Bill Bugham's place in the evening and had a chat about things in general.
The 3 January entry record his first pay : Received the first pay from Misima mine £16-10- made payable to Lil at Perth & received cheque for £8-8-4 being balance left for myself. Pay £24 18 4.
The following day he recorded walking the route of the proposed tramway from the port to the mine site.
Misima Island is mountainous and densely forested. Gold mining had been in operation on the island from the 1880’s. Newspaper reports from January 1914 reported a crushing and cyaniding plant had been erected at one mine, The mines were situated about 5 miles from the beach at an altitude of between 600 ft and 1,000 ft above sea level. In mid 1914 leases were offered to the Broken Hill Proprietary Company Block 10 and a party from the company landed at Begonia, the port of Misima in late January 1915 with 110 tons of equipment, which by April had been moved the 41/2 miles to the mine site. Buildings were erected and shaft and tunnels sunk to determine the value of the ore. In 1916 the different companies with mining leases on the island agreed to form one company - Block 10 Misima Gold Mines No Liability to operate the mine. Block 10 was incorporated in January 1917 and took over the properties in June 1917. The General Manager of Block 10, Mr O.B. (Oscar) Ward (originally from South Australia and had worked in Kalgoorlie) had been on Misima with his wife when the leases were being evaluated when WWI broke out in 1914. A milling plant had been started in May 1917 and a slimes plant for a larger milling capacity was started in May 1918. At the company AGM in April 1918, the General Manager reported over 7 years supply of ore were currently identified with more ore likely to be located and recommended the installation of additional milling equipment to process the ore.
Judge Murray, Lieutenant Governor of Papua was reported in the Queenslander newspaper of 1 February 1919 that there were 40 Europeans at Misima.
During 1919 delays were reported in the shipment of material for a new mill and the need to construct a 2ft gauge 7 1/2 mile tramway between the coast and the mine to transport equipment to the mine site. The General Manager reported at the company half yearly meeting in October 1919 in Melbourne that the mill would be in commission about June 1920. Joe's diary recorded for 13 December 1919 he had started in the Mill.
It is not known exactly when wife Lillian and children Hilda and Vincent arrived on the island. The last diary entry of writing a letter to Lillian is 2 September 1919, though diary entries are almost non existent after early April. Daughter Olive was born at Samarai on 24 August 1921.
By November 1922 the mine was closed due to the company making losses. At its peak the mine had 70 white staff and 700 native boys. In late 1923 the plant was dismantled.
Recorder (Port Pirie, SA), Tuesday 10 October 1922, p 4.
In an article about the prospects for New Guinea, Captain Muir, a well known master mariner, reported ... "The Misima mines have closed," he added, "All hands were dismissed with a month's notice. Forty of them left in a body by steamer for Australia. "The exodus is not confined to them. Others also are leaving for Sydney. There are many stories of hopes that have never been fulfilled. Seven years ago there were Australians who established plantations. Now their trees are just beginning to bear, but they find that the prices for copra hardly warrant the picking of the coconuts. Some of them, too, are leaving for home."
The family had arrived back in Perth by December 1922. A letter to Joe from his mother in Gerladton, dated 22 December 1922, and addressed to him at 23 Eighth Avenue, Maylands (home of wife Lillian's Brother Bernard Farnham), starts with 'I received your very exciting letter last week telling about your future prospects ...' and finishing with '... glad you are all in the West this Xmas'. Joe set up a grocery store in Hamersley Road, Subiaco. Wife Lilian's brothers Alfred and Bernard Farnham had set up the Farnham Brothers store in Maylands as a wholesale/retail grocery store and they supplied Joe's store and in turn Joe provided them with loans of money when bills arrived and they hadn't sold the goods yet to pay the invoice.
The Western Australian Directory (Wise's) 1923 lists (p566) : Stone, Jos, store, 230 Hamersley Road, Subiaco.
The Western Australian Directory (Wise's) 1924 lists (p589) : Stone, Jos, store, 230 Hamersley Road, Subiaco.
1925 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, 230 Hamersley Road, Subiaco, storekeeper. Also listed: Lilian May Stone, home duties,
1931 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, 230 Hamersley Road, Subiaco, storekeeper. Also listed: Lilian May Stone, home duties,
1936 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, 235 Hamersley Road, Subiaco, storekeeper. Also listed: Lilian May Stone, home duties,
1937 Electoral roll - Stone, Joseph, 235 Hamersley Road, Subiaco, storekeeper. Also listed: Lilian May Stone, home duties,
In 1938 Joe purchased a newsagency at 122 Angove Street North Perth. There is an advertisement for the sale of the truck they used to have for the grocery store to pickup and deliver - 'TRUCK. 30cwt., good order, well shod. recently overhauled, no further use, best offer. Stone's Newsagency, Angove-st. North Perth', in the 2 June 1938 issue of the West Australia, p. 10, and there are weekly advertisement from the 9 September 1939 issue of the Daily News (p 7), for Parrants Dry Cleaners, with one of the agents being J. Stone, Newsagent, 122 Angove-street, North Perth.
Many of the magazines came from Britain and when war was declared in September 1939, the supply of the British printed magazines dried up and when in May 1940 son Vin (who delivered the newspapers to customers at their homes) announced he was joining the AIF, Joe decided to sell the newsagency. The purchasers of the newsagency, Joe and Peg O'Connell, had won the lottery in August 1939, winning £6,000, and so had cash to buy the store. The O'Connell's, of 122 Angove St, North Perth, are recorded sending Christmas greetings in the West Australian issue of 23 December 1940.
The Daily News, Saturday 28 June, 1941, p32.
Probates and letters of administration in respect to the following wills were granted in the Supreme Court this week: ... Hogan, Patrick Joseph, late of Bootenal, farmer, to John C. Willcock, of Mount Lawley, and Patrick J. Stone, of Subiaco. value £4724.
1943 Electoral roll - Stone, Patrick Joseph, newsagent, 268 Hamersley Road, Subiaco. Also listed : Lilian May Stone, home duties; Vincent Patrick Stone, clerk. (Of course Vincent was in the Army in North Queensland at this time).
In 1943 Joe was elected to the Subiaco Council for the Central ward (The West Australian, Monday 29 November 1943, p 4, in a report on the municipal elections which had taken place on the previous Saturday). He was defeated in the 1949 elections (The West Australian, Monday 28 November 1949, p 15. ... In the Central ward Mr. P. J. Stone (the retiring councillor) was beaten by Mr. R. H. Miller, who is the Director of the Government Tourist Bureau. ...)
The West Australian, Thursday 16 March 1950, p 2.
Mr. J. Stone, who was a member of the Subiaco Municipal Council until November last, was presented with a wrist watch by Cr. H. Williams, on behalf of Mr. Stone's former colleagues on the council, in the Mayor's parlour at Subiaco on Tuesday night. [2014 Ian Stone has the watch].
1949 Electoral roll - Stone, Patrick Joseph, newsagent, 268 Hamersley Road, Subiaco. Also listed : Lilian May Stone, home duties; Vincent Patrick Stone, clerk.
1954 Electoral roll - Stone, Patrick Joseph, newsagent, 268 Hamersley Road, Subiaco. Also listed : Lilian May Stone, home duties; Vincent Patrick Stone, clerk.
1963 Electoral roll - Stone, Patrick Joseph, newsagent, 268 Hamersley Road, Subiaco. Also listed : Lilian May Stone, home duties.
Wife Lillian died in 1963.
1968 Electoral roll - Stone, Patrick Joseph, newsagent, 268 Hamersley Road, Subiaco.
In his final years Joe lived with his daughter Olive Herd and died in Olive's house at 35 Heytesbury Road, Subiaco.
Western Australian Death registration index record for Patrick J. Stone, father James, mother Mary J., died aged 87. Perth registration district, No. 170 of 1971.
Metropolitan Cemeteries Board record for Patrick Joseph Stone died 29 December 1970, aged 87, in Subiaco. Buried Karrakatta Cemetery, Roman Catholic area, section HC, site 71. Also buried in the same grave is his mother Mary Jane Stone, cousin John Frances Kennedy and the headstone also remembers his brother Vincent who died in 1918 in Belgium. The grave of his brother Terence, his wife Elizabeth and their daughter Mary is three graves away in grave 74.