Matching family tree profiles for Peter Conover
About Peter Conover
Peter Conover is apparently from a New Jersey family that moved to Ohio. "A large colony" of Conovers emigrated there from New Jersey according to Mary Petticrew Johnson, whose mother, Martha Ann Mints, was the half-sister of Peter Conover's wife, Sarah Davis Conover. Mary P. Johnson said that the Conovers lived in Franklin, Ohio.
"The Conovers moved from New Jersey to Ohio with many of their relatives and neighbors to a settlement on the East Fork of the Little Miami River founded in 1803 by Rev. John Collins, a Methodist minister. The "Jersey Settlement", as it was known, became quite successfully settled with other families from Gloucester County, New Jersey, as they sought more land to farm. Little exists of the original settlement today, as damming the river flooded the favored bottom lands chosen by Rev. Collins, and construction of a state park on the new lake's shores destroyed other remnants of the pioneers' community..."
It appears that this Conover family (Peter and Sophia) moved to Franklin Township, Warren County, Ohio in 1819.
- Franklin Township Early Settlements records that "...Settlements were made about the neighborhood of Carlisle in the spring of 1804 and 1805, by Arthur Vanderveer, of Freehold, N. J., who, in company with the Barkalows, had entered the tract of land on the Great Miami River, before spoken of. At the same time came Daniel Dubois and Dr. Benjamin Dubois, and, within the next ten years, several families from New Jersey came to this township and the southern part of Montgomery County, forming what is known to-day as the Jersey Settlement. The Lanes, Schencks, Denises, the Conovers, Poasts, Wykoffs and the Barkalows have all been well known in this part of the county since...'
Peter's mother was Sophia Du Bois (Dubois) and one of his brothers married a Barkalow. Another sister had the middle name "Denise," apparently from the Denise family (above). This was a close-knit community which Martha Ann Mints Petticrew grew up in, raised by Peter and Sarah Conover.
- Name: Peter Covenhoven
- Gender: Male
- Birth Date: 29 Aug 1812
- Christening Date: 25 Oct 1812
- Christening Place: Dutch Reformed Church,Freehold and Middletown,Monmouth,New Jersey
- Father's Name: Peter Covenhoven
- Mother's name: Sophia Du Bois
- FHL Film Number: 982046
Ancestry.com. New Jersey, Births and Christenings Index, 1660-1931 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data:
"New Jersey Births and Christenings, 1660-1931." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
Description: This database is an index extracted from more than 2.3 million birth, baptism, and christening records from New Jersey.
Peter Conover's Timeline
August 29, 1812
Freehold and Middletown, Monmouth, New Jersey, United States
October 25, 1812
Freehold and Middletown, Monmouth, New Jersey, USA
December 1, 1891
Franklin, Warren, Ohio, United States
Franklin Township, Warren, Ohio, United States