Peter Wells, III
|Birthplace:||South Kingstown, Providence Plantations County (Present Washington County), Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Peter Wells, III
About Peter Wells, III
Source: The Gardiners of Narragansett : being a genealogy of the descendants of George Gardiner, the colonist, 1638, p. 249, Beside the Peter Wells who was son of Peter and Ann (Watson) Wells and who m. 11 Dec 1733 Elizabeth Sweet, d/o William, there was living at the same period, another Peter Wells who was a son of Jonathan and Sarah (Sweet) Wells, and who m. 2 Jul 1746 another Elizabeth Sweet, d/o Richard of West Greenwich.
Source: Whitman, Roscoe L. History and Genealogy of the Ancestors and Some Descendants of Stukely Westcott, p. 374-5, says "Peter Wells, 3rd", s/o Peter 2nd and Ann Watson, b. May 4, 1715, m 1 Feb 1736 Elizabeth, d/o Stephen Arnold, dwelled in Warwick, RI where she d. 1739. Children: Anna, Arnold, Elizabeth. Then Peter m. (2) Elizabeth, d/o Elder Richard Sweet of Baptist Church at Stoney Lane, North Kingston, RI. children: John, Peter [labeled Peter Wells the 4th, m. Ruth, d. Ebenezer Slocum], Samuel Penelope, Dora.
Here are some records from Vital Record of Rhode Island:
- Wells, Peter, [of Peter Jr. and Ann born] May 4, 1713 South Kingstown.
- Wells, Peter, and Elizabeth Sweet, of William, Dec. 11, 1733 East Greenwich.
- Wells, Peter, and Elizabeth Arnold, of Stephen, Feb. 1, 1736-7 Warwick.
- Wells, Elizabeth, wife of Peter, died Sept. 29, 1739 Warwick.
- Slocum, Ruth of Ebenezer and Peter Wells, Nov. 23, 1740, Warwick.
- Wells, Peter, of Jonathan, of East Greenwich, and Elizabeth Sweet, of Richard, of West Greenwich July 2, 1746 East Greenwich.
- Wells, Peter [of Peter and Elizabeth], b. Oct. 21, 1748 West Greenwich.
- Wells, Elizabeth, wife of Peter died Sept. 13, 1757 East Greenwich.
- Wells, Peter and Jemima Mott, Feb. 15, 1768 Newport.
- Wells, Peter, of Peter, of East Greenwich, and Margaret Cleveland, of Palmer, of Exter Nov. 19, 1769 Exeter
Comparing to the VR, there appear to be obvious errors in the Whitman book:
- The birthdate is off by two years
- Clearly the Peter Wells who married Elizabeth, d/o Richard Sweet, was the son of Jonathan, so was not "Peter 3rd".
- If the Peter that married Elizabeth, d/o Richard Sweet, was the same Peter that married Elizabeth Arnold, she was his third wife and the book left out his second wife Ruth Slocum (obvious from being in Warwick and following closely on death of first wife)
- Peter 4th could not have married Ruth Slocum, having been born in 1748.
- There are many records whose presence in the VR would be of great use, but they are not be found, so no confident conclusion can be drawn. In all probability, it appears there are three different Peter Wells here, and the Whitman book has mashed parts from all of them into one big composite.
Peter, s/o Peter, m. 1733 Elizabeth Sweet, of West Greenwich. Peter, unknown parentage, m. 1736 Elizabeth Arnold, then 1740 Ruth Slocum, of Warwick, then Berkshire County. Peter, s/o Jonathan, m. 1746 Elizabeth Sweet, of East Greenwich --Jrich 18:14, 8 May 2009 (EDT)
Children Of Peter And Ann (Watson) Wells:
- 242. Peter Wells, was born May 1713, and married, Dec. 11, 1733, Elizabeth Sweet, a daughter of William. "He died September 16, 1757."
Beside the Peter Wells (No. 242) of the text, who was a son of Peter and Ann (Watson) Wells, and who married, Dec. 11, 1733, Elizabeth Sweet, a daughter of William, there was living at the same period another Peter Wells, who was a son of Jonathan and Sarah (Sweet) Wells, and who married, July 2, 1746, another Elizabeth Sweet, a daughter of Richard, of West Greenwich. The records of East Greenwich seem to show that the "Elizabeth, wife of Peter," who died Sept. 13, 1757, and the Peter who followed her so soon, on Sept. 16, 1757, were the latter, rather than, as stated in the text, the former. These deaths accompany the records of the family of Jonathan Wells in the above town, rather than those of Peter Wells, Sr., which are in South Kingstown.
It is also recorded in East Greenwich that "Sarah Wells, 2d daughter of Peter," died Sept. 18, 1757 (only five days after her mother, and two after her father). This cannot be the Peter who was a son of Peter and Ann, inasmuch as he does not appear to have had a daughter Sarah, and his second daughter was named Dinah (changed to Elizabeth).
242. PETER WELLS, 4 (Ann Watson, 3; Dorcas Gardiner, 2; George 1), was born May 4, 1713, and married, December 11, 1734 (1733?), Elizabeth Sweet, a daughter of William, of East Greenwich. He died September 16, 1757.180 She died September 13, 1757
Children Of Peter And Elizabeth (Sweet) Wells.
- 827. Thomas Wells, was born April 5,1734~5(?), and married, June 9,1758, Anna Bissell. (Recorded in Exeter.)
- 828. Dorcas Wells, was born Oct. 30, 1737, and married, Sept. 23, 1758, Joseph RebearneQ). (Recorded in West Greenwich.)
- 829. Dinah Wells, was born Dec. 10, 1739. Her name was changed to Elizabeth.
- 830. Caleb Wells, was born July 18, 1743.
- 831. Benjamin Wells, was born Dec. 24, 1745.
- 832. Peter Wells, was born Oct. 21, 1748, and married in Exeter, Nov. 19, 1769, Margaret Cleveland.
- 833. Silas Wells, was born Jan. 22, 1755 (1751?).
Source: The Gardiners of Narragansett : being a genealogy of the descendants of George Gardiner, the colonist, 1638. By Caroline Elizabeth Rodman Robinson. (1919).