About Philip "the Red" de Egerton
Philip de EGERTON (son of Sir David de MALPAS Knight & Catharine Vaughan) 1, 2, 3 was born 1192 in Malpas, Cheshire, England.
He married Katherine de HULTON on 1221 in Malpas, Cheshire, England. Katherine de HULTON, (daughter of Owain VAUGHAN Lord of Mylor) 1 was born 1201 in Hulton, Lancashire, England. She married Philip de EGERTON on 1221 in Malpas, Cheshire, England.
They had the following children:
- M i David de EGERTON was born 1222.
- M ii Hova de EGERTON 1 was born 1225 in Malpas, Cheshire, England.
- F iii Mabel de EGERTON 1 was born 1228 in Malpas, Cheshire, England.
Philip purchased Egerton Manor and took Egerton as his surname.
Philip obtained the Manor of Egerton near Malpas from Wion de Egerton & resided there. According to the custom of that age, Philip took on the surname of Egerton. He was the ancestor to many eminant and flourishing branches. He was a Knight. He was known as the Goch, meaning the Red.
- Hal Bradley's Rootsweb database
- 1. Ormerod, George, The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (London: Lackington, Hughes, Mavor & Jones, 1819.), 2:598, Family History Library, 942.71 H2or.
- 2. Ormerod, G., History of the County Palatine of Chester, 2:628.
- 3. Wrottesley, George, Pedigrees from the Plea Rolls (London: Harrison, 1905. FHL BRITISH Film #990,070 Item 1.), p. 137, Family History Library.
- THE "MALPAS" FAMILY IN CHESHIRE By Darrell Wolcott
- One of the men named William in this David's ancestry had a brother named Phillip Goch, so the half-interest in Malpas originally held by this line of the family had been further halved by the time we reach Beatrix