Philippe Amyot dit Villeneuve
French: Philippe AMIOT
|Death:||Died in Quebec|
|Place of Burial:||Lieu indetermine, Quebec, Canada|
|Occupation:||Sieur de VILLENEUVE, sieur de villeneuve|
|Managed by:||Suzanne Angele Bouchard|
About Philippe Amyot dit Villeneuve
In Tanguay, he is listed as being from Chartres. His name is spelled Amyot in Tanguay
Two first children born in France, Jean & Mathieu
The family arrived in Quebec in 1636.
Aug 26 1636, Charles is baptized. The godfather is Charles Huault de Montmagny, the first governor of New France who arrived in the country on June 11 of the same year.
The Jesuits report that a ship carrying 45 recuits arrived on June 12, 1636. This is possibly the ship that the familly came on.
An inventory of his goods was made on Sep 7, 1639, after his death. (ct Audouart 1-apr-1658). The following and more are listed:
5 sets of drapes
a bed canopy
suits for Mathieu and Charles
a beaver robe worth 17 Livres
a frying pan
8 pounds of pewter dishes
a small pot
and 96 "perches" of cleared land.
He owed 8 Francs in estate taxes.
Anne remarries on Sep 26, 1639 at Quebec to Jacques Maheu
Came to Quebec in or before 1635.
Philippe (Amyot) Amiot, died Bet. 26 August 1636 - 26 September 1639 in Quebec, Quebec 5509.
More About Philippe (Amyot) Amiot: Emigrated: 1635, Arrived Canada with wife & sons5512 Event: Inscribed on Louis Hebert monument to "Premiers Colons"5513
It appears that son Charles-Joseph was born in New France. The names Amiot and Maheu are originate from these families. Philippe was a Coureur-de-Bois. At this time, it was a very lucrative trade, He died ca 1638.
Philippe Amyot Ancêtre des Amyot d'Amérique
Philippe Amyot était originaire de la région de Soissons. En 1627, il épouse, à Estrées, Anne Convent, fille de Guillaume Convent et d’Antoinette de Longval.
En 1635, il vient en Nouvelle-France avec son épouse et deux enfants, Jean, né vers 1625, et Mathieu, né vers 1628. Le 26 août 1636, il fait baptiser à Québec un troisième fils, Charles.
Son séjour en terre d’Amérique sera de courte durée. En effet, il décède en 1639.
Son fils, Mathieu Amyot, devait se signaler par son activité débordante. L’intendant Talon obtint pour lui des lettres d’anoblissement du Roy Louis XIV, en 1668. Ce dernier omis cependant de les faire enregistrer au Conseil Souverain, se disant sans doute, à l'instar de nos ancêtres, que c'est dans le coeur que se situe la véritable noblesse plutôt que sur un bout de papier.
Les descendants des Amyot peuplent aujourd’hui toute l’Amérique.
Source: Le Centre de généalogie francophone d'Amérique.
L'honorable Georges-Elie Amyot (1856-1930), membre du Conseil-Législatif, portait les armoiries:
"D'azur, à la bande d'argent chargée de cinq mouchetures d'hermine."
Le Centre de généalogie francophone d'Amérique URL: http://www.genealogie.org Conception et réalisation: Le Cid (Le Centre internet de développement) 1997
3460. Philippe AMIOT @ died between 1636 and 1639 in N.-D.-de-Quebec, Quebec, P.Quebec. <From Our French Canadian-Ancestors" by Thomas J. Laforest. vol.26 pg.40-48>
The last name of Amiot or Amyot appears as a dimini-tive of the word ami or amy. In the sixteenth cen-tury, it was pronunced amio. More than one Amiot founded a family in Canada. The one who is of interest to us here bore the first name of Philippe. The first to arrive in New France, he was also the first to die here and has the largest number of de-scendants among us.
It seems rather certain that Anne Convent, born about 1603, daughter of Guillaume and of Antoinette de Longval, came from Estrées, today Coeuvres-et- Valsery, canton of Vic-sur--Aines, arrondissement of Soissons, in the department of the Aisne, in the former territory of Ia Picardie. Anne and Philippe were married in France about 1626. They had two known children in the old country: Jean and Mathieu.
The Amiot family arrived in Québec in 1636. On 26 August, their last child, Charles, was baptized. His godfather, was the Chevalier Charles Huault de Montmagny, also the first governor of New France. He had been in country since 11 June 1636. The godmother was Guillemette Hébert, daughter of Louis and of Marie Rollet, the wife of Guillaume Couillard. The of-ficiating priest was Jean Dequen, a Jesuit originally from Picardy.
We know that the day after the arrival of the governor, another ship "commanded by Monsieur Courpon" brought 45 recruits to Québec, according to the Relation des Jesuites. Did the Amiots arrive as passengers on this ship? A good hypothesis!
Here begins a mystery which has never been cleared up! Nothing in our history indicates the name of Philippe's native vil-lage, his trade, the location of his house at Québec, or the date of his death. One fact remains certain: the inventory of his property, drawn up on Wednesday, 7 September 1639, at Québec, and authenticated on the first of April 1658 by the notary Audouart. Fortunately, we have learned many things from it.
Philippe enjoyed a certain comfort. His wife and children slept well and were well-dressed: 5 pairs of sheets, a bed canopy, suits for Mathieu and Charles, "a doublet in gray berry cloth belonging to his son Mathieu", a beaver skin robe worth 17 livres. They mentioned a frying pan, eight pounds of pewter-ware, a small boiler, and so forth. Monsieur Pierre Priseaux owed the estate "eight francs", and "the Great Sevestre eight francs". The surprise was to learn that at his death Philippe owned 96 perches of cleared land. It was not possible for me to locate this property.
Philippe only lived about three years in the Colony, but, thanks to his two sons Mathieu and Charles, that short time was sufficient for him to firmly implant on Canadian soil a name borne today by thousands of descendants.
On 26 September 1639, Anne Convent was remarried at Québec, to Jacques Maheu, born to Nicolas and to Louise Clichon, from Buberte, in the arrondissement of Mortagne in Perche. The new couple seems to have lived uneventfully but happily.
Jacques, classified as a pioneer in 1640, on 11 October 1647, became the owner of six arpents of frontage on the Grande-Allêe, to a depth of ten arpents. He was in France in 1647 and 1648. He was elected church warden of the parish of Notre-Dame de Québec in 1656, 1657 and 1659, the year in which he was a member of the trading association of Tadoussac. On 10 August of the same year, he was confirmed by Msgr de Laval.
Anne and Jacques had the joy of bringing into the world a daughter, Marie-Madeleine, baptized on 28 September 1641; however, she died on the following 19 October. Their son Jean Maheu was baptized on 31 May 1643. He married Marguerite Corriveau, widow of René Maheu, on 16 July 1663. A merchant and resident of the capital, he died without descendants. As for Jacques Maheu, senior, he died on 22 July 1663, at Québec.
Anne Convent accepted a third husband, Etienne Blanchon dit LaRose, on 10 September 1666. This Auvergnat, Blanchon, who arrived here as a soldier with the Carignan Regiment, had no children by Anne Convent. This most deserving ancestress died at Québec on 25 December 1675, at the age of 65. The pastor Henri de Berniëres presided at her funeral the following day.
THE AMIOT SONS
Anne Convent and Philippe Amiot had three Sons: Jean and Mathieu, both born in France, and Charles, the Canadian.
At an early age Jean Amiot was a donne of the Jesuits, his protectors. The orphan was sent out to the land of the Hurons, where he learned their language. The Amerindians called him Antaiok, a distortion of Amiot, because they held him in esteem.
In 1645, Jean settled at Trois-Rivières, where he lived un-til his death. He often served as an interpreter. Pierre-Georges Roy recounts that Amiot, passing through Québec in 1647, chal-lenged all the young Indian boys to a race, "either with or without snowshoes. Several entered the race against him, but he beat them all".
On 28 May 1648, Jean Amiot and François Margerie crossed the Saint-Lawrence in a bark canoe, across from Trois-Riviêres. A storm rose suddenly and capsized their frail craft. The two interpreters perished in full view of the Frenchmen on the shore who were powerless to help them. Jean's body was found on 10 June, near Sillery, where they buried him.
Jean, greatly devoted to Saint Joseph, had said: "If I should happen to die, I desire that the lumber and materials with which I plan to build a house for myself, be used to build a small chapel in honor of Saint Joseph".
After his death, on 18 October 1649, Jean's property: 50 arpents of land and his building materials were bought by Jacques LeNeuf, for 183 livres.
Mathieu Amiot, Sieur de Villeneuve, born in France about 1628, owned a small lot in 1655, measuring 54 feet in frontage on the chemin Saint-Louis, to a depth of 18 feet, which ran as far as the south-western part of the land of Sieur Chartier de Lotbiniére, near Cap-aux-Diamants.
On the occasion of his marriage to Marie Miville, on 21 November 1650, at Quebec, Mathieu received from his father-in-law Pierre Miville, a plot of land on the Grande-Allee, border-ing that of Jean Bourdon. Mathieu owned several other pieces: at Sillery, at the Chatellenie de Coulonges, at Saint-Augustin and at Cap-Rouge. The census of 1681 recorded the colonist Amiot as living in the seigneurie of Maure, between Tugal Catin and Jacques Lemarie, where he owned three head of cattle and had thirty arpents of land under cultivation.
To summarize, let's recall that Mathieu was a valiant pioneer. In 1668, he was awarded letters of nobility. Unfor-tunately, they were invalid, wrote Father Archange Godbout, be-cause they had not been registered. The Intendant Jean Talon wanted to amend this oversight by conceding at Villeneuve, on 3 November 1672, the seigneurie of Pointe-aux-Bouleaux, near Sainte-Croix de Lotbiniére.
Mathieu and Marie raised a family of 16 children who have numerous descendants. Mathieu died on 18 December 1688 and was buried the next day at Québec. As for Marie Miville, she died at the Hôtel-Dieu on 5 September 1702, during harvest time.
The Canadian Charles Amiot, son of Philippe and of Anne Convent, studied at the College des Jesuites. At the age of 14, he accompanied Father François-Joseph Bressani as a servant on a journey out to the land of the Hurons. Departing from Trois-Rivières on 7 June 1650, he was unable to return there be-cause the English fleet had stopped below Montréal. On 18 July, Charles entered Québec.
On 2 May 1660, he married Genevieve de Chavigny, daughter of François and of Eleonore de Grandmaison. However, he still had the blood of a voyageur in his veins. He accompanied Father Nouvel to the Ile aux Basques and to Lake Matapedia. In 1664, he and Father Nouvel went with some Papinachois as far as the Rivière aux Outardes, then to the Manicouagan.
On the first of November 1652, Charles had received from Lauzon a concession, which was enlarged by another one with 5 arpents by 40, on 18 August 1659. However, what really interested Charles was the fur and eel business. Thus, he became a merchant at Québec.
His family was not large; composed of three children. Pierre, died after two months; Marie-Madeleine, joined the Ur-sulines. She became superior of her community at Trois-Riviêres in 1709. It was also there that she died on 13 October 1747, after 68 years as a nun.
Charles-Joseph Amiot, the third and last child (1665-1735), husband of Marie-Gabrielle Philippe du Hautmesny, was a ship's captain and also a fur merchant. He became lord of the seigneurie of Vincelot.
Charles died, too young, at the age of 33, on 11 Decem-ber 1669, at Québec. His widow was remarried, to Jean-Baptiste Couillard, Sieur de L'Espinay, on 23 October 1680. This strong woman, and seigneuresse in more than title, was buried at Québec on 21 April 1724.
BY WAY OF CONCLUSION
Without the Amiot, Villeneuve and Vincelot families, many important sons would be missing from the tableau of our glorious national history.
According to Gabriel Drouin, the Honorable Georges-Elie Amyot (1856-1930), a member of the Legislative Council, showed proof of his noble line to the Commissaires du College des Armes du Canada, in October 1912. He was admitted to the Corporation of Nobility, with the coat of arms which he had of his ancestors:
It may be described thusly: "Azur, with a silver band charged with five ermine flecks"
It has been said that "Each person, who meets an Amiot, meets a friend".
FAMILY NAME VARIATIONS
There are no less than sixteen known variations of this il-lustrious name: Amio, Amiotte, Amiaut, Amroi, Amyault, Amyot, Hautmesny, Larpinière, Lerpiniére, Lincour, Lincourt, Lusignan, Neuville, Villeneuve, Vineelot and Vincelotte. He was married to Anne CONVENT @ about 1625 in Soissons, Picardie, France. ============================================================ =====
Philippe Amiot and Anne Convent: Marriage: Abt. 1617, Soissons, Picardie, France
Children of Philippe Amiot and Anne Convent are:
i. Jean Amiot, born Abt. 1626 in OF: Picardie, France; died 23 May 1648 in Sillery, Quebec More About Jean Amiot: Burial: 10 June 1648, Sillery, Quebec Cause of Death: Drowned Emigrated: Abt. 1636, Arrived New France with parents
994 ii. Mathieu (dit Amyot) Amiot, Sieur, born Abt. 1628 in DIO/Soissons, Picardie, France; died 19 December 1688 in BUR: Ville-de-Quebec, Quebec; married Marie Miville 22 November 1650 in Ville-de-Quebec, Quebec.
iii. Charles Amiot, born 26 August 1636 in BAP: Quebec, Quebec ; died 10 December 1669 in Quebec ; married Genevieve Chavigny 02 May 1660 in Quebec, Quebec 3. More About Genevieve Chavigny: Seigneuries: 1672, Vincelot (to son in 1693)
More About Charles Amiot and Genevieve Chavigny: Marriage: 02 May 1660, Quebec, Quebec
Historiques Amyor, Garneau, Ancetres direct de Francois-Xavier Garneau, du Cardinal Begin et de Joseph Duquet.
Ancestor Fils de Philippe et Anne Convent (CT 19 Audouart) avec Marie Miville
Lettres de noblesse accordées en 1668, mais non enregistrées
Concession de la seigneurie de la Pointe-aux-Bouleaux, près de Ste-Croix le 3-11-1672, augmentée le 16-4-1687 et vendue par sa veuve à Robert Choret le 5-4-1701
Il "fut anobli par le roi et reçut en fief la pointe-Villeneuve à Sillery. C'est depuis, que le nom d'Amyot fut changé en celui de VILLENEUVE".
◦Philippe Amyot arrived in Canada in the summer of 1635 from Soissons. He was accompanied by his wife, Anne Convent, and two sons, Jean and Mathieu.
On August 26 1636, he baptised another son, Charles at Québec.
Four years after his arrival in New France, Philippe Amyot died. However, through his sons, Mathieu and Charles, he established a long line of descendants which today number in the thousands.
Mathieu Amyot was a decisive and entrepreneurial man. He was granted land concessions at Trois Rivières, Sillerie, and neat Québec. From the last concession he took the name Villeneuve since it was situated near pointe Villeneuve.
With that pace, it is no wonder that he became one of the notable settlers in the colony.
The intendant, Jean Talon, sought to obtain a title for him from the king. These were granted by Louis XIV in 1668, but unfortunately Mathieu Amyot failed to have them registered with the sovereign council of New France and they became worthless. Although he was titled, he never became a Noble. He died December 18, 1688.
His brother, Charles, who was ten years younger, started to travel with the missionaries at 14.
Aside from being a merchant living in the lower town (of Québec), he received many land grants. The importance of the role he played in Québec placed him among the most noted of the time.
Unfortunately, Charles Amyot died at an early are on December 10 1669 only nine years after his marriage.
◦He was born in Picardie around 1600.In around 1625 he got married in Estrée
( Today Couvre, in the district of L'Aisne ) in Soissons with Anne Convent the daughter of Guillaume Convent and Antoinette de Longval. We don't know much about the life of Philippe and Anne Convent in France. We have found a act of sale from Antoine Courand notary. In this act of sale of the Notary Courand 20th january 1626, we find out that Philippe Amyot bought the house of Antoinette Longeuval in Espiré. Must a been a big house. In the act, the house have 14 rooms and (32 arpents de terre )
In the spring of 1635 Philippe Amyot and his wife their two sons, Mathieu and Jean boarded a ship in Dieppe destination New France. In the beginning of the summer they arrived in Québec. It was during the time of M.Champlain. I was not there, but I presume that M.Champlain was on the roads whit his straw hat, his whip and his wagon, and his pair of bulls to greet these new arrivals, the minute they arrived. In those days it's was not often that a contingent of new arrivals landed. Usually it occurred only once a year.
What did Philippe Amyot do in Québec ? We don't know. When he died we still don't know ? However its certain that he died in the year 1639. The burial act was not registered in the record of Quebec. Certain alledge that he died by drowning, and because his body was never found, they never registered his death. Other presumed that they just simply forgot to re-enter his burial act when they reconstructed that the parish register after the fire in the chapel Notre-Dame de la Recouvrance, in 1640. Notary Audouart 7th September 1639 inventoried of the possesion of Philippe Amyot
In September 1639, Anne Convent, the widow of Philippe Amyot, married Jacques Maheu ; they had two sons and one daughter.
She became widow once again in July 1663, she married for a third time a man by the name of Etienne Balnchon dit Larose. ( Notary contract Bequet the 5th may, 1666 ) She was 65 and Etienne 35. Though scandal was not in vogue in Québec at that time, it must have made good gossip ; just the age different alone was enough. ( Notary Duquet 10th January 1676 inventoried of Etienne Blanchon & Anne convent ) The 5th January, 1674 she gives to the children of her son Mathieu an estate located in the bases ville of Québec. ( Act of Bequet ) Unfortunately this property will later be dispute between Marie Minville and her Children. Anne convent died in 1674 ( Notary Becquet 23th Febuary 1674 Testament of Anne Convent )
Philippe Amyot dit Villeneuve's Timeline
Chartres, Eure-et-Loir, France
Chartres, Eure-et-Loir, France
Soissons, Picardie, France
May 23, 1628
Estrées, Picardie, France
August 26, 1636
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
August 26, 1636