Matching family tree profiles for Pierre Jourdan, de Cabrières SV/PROG 3
About Pierre Jourdan, de Cabrières SV/PROG 3
i. Pierre Jourdan de Cabrière d'Aigues; *Cabrières d'Aigues 1661; Arrived on the ship “China” on 4 August 1688. Later owner of the farm Cabrière, church deacon, †28.10.1723.x Anna Fauche (Fouché), †1713 xx Maria Verdot, daughter of Hercule Verdot of La Roque d'Antheron,
- b1 Anna » Drakenstein 30.12.1698 x Louis Fourie
- b2 Pierre » Drakenstein 06.12.1699 † before end 1702
- b3 Joseph » Drakenstein 30.10.1701 x Maria Magdalena le Roux
- b4 Susanna » ca. 1703 x Jean Jourdan (vb2), son of Jean Jourdan de Belle Etoile
- b5 Marie » Drakenstein 23.08.1705 † Before end 23.11.1713
- b6 Elizabeth » 3/1/1722 [mother Maria Verdot] added to Booyens' list Sharon Doubell Sep 2016
ii. Anthoine *1669. Our best information is that he remained with his parents in France in 1687.
Pierre Jourdan (Cavalier) - SOURCES
- Pierre was born ca. 1620 in La Roque d'Anthéron as son of Jehan Jourdan from La Roque and Jeanne Crespin
◦ SOURCE: Calculated from his age given at his 1685 abjuration below.
- Pierre married Susanne Pascal in 1659 in Cabrières d'Aigues
◦ SOURCE: The records of Notary Enjoubert of Pertuis; reference 3E 56/264 – folio 397.
- Pierre (then 65), his wife Susanne Pascal (then 48) and their two children Pierre (24) and Anthoine (16) abjured in Cabrières d'Aigues on 22 October 1685 in front of Notary Lafourest.
◦ SOURCE: The records of Notary Enjoubert of Pertuis; reference 3E 56/299.
- Son Anthoine married in 1695. In the marriage act dated 27 November 1695, Susanne Pascal, who was then already widowed, named Anthoine her heir. She documented the condition that, should her other son Pierre,who had been in the king's service for many years, still be alive and return home; then the inheritance was to be shared equally between her two sons. (Susanne would likely not have wanted to tell the authorities that son Pierre had fled to the Cape under the Protestant Dutch flag. The Luberon Protestants believed that Louis XIV would soon change his mind and they therefore saw exile as temporary. They expected those who fled to return home before long - Private communication, Virginia Belz Chomat)
◦ SOURCE: The records of Notary Enjoubert of Pertuis; reference 3E 56/302.
By 24 October 1685 the Intendant of Provence advises Louis XIV's Minister of State, Louvois, that, with the exception of the counties of Seyne, Manosque [on the Durance east of Bastide des Jourdans], and “some villages in the Val d'Aigues”, all of Provence will be Catholic. In terms of the Edict, one has to either convert or leave the country. Those who do not convert are sentenced to forfeit their property and row in the galleys (in the case of men) or be thrown in prison (in the case of women). The children of the converted shall have to be educated in the Catholic religion. We now look at events in the villages themselves. In the week following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the individuals with whom we are concerned all abjure their faith...
1. On 22 October 1685 Pierre Jourdan “Cavalier” of Cabrières d'Aigues and his family, including son Pierre Jourdan de Cabrières, abjure their faith in Cabrières d'Aigues in front of Notary Lafourest. It is from this event that we know their respective ages.
2. On 23 October 1685, at La Motte d'Aigues, it is the turn of Marie Jourdanne, daughter of Pierre Jourdan “Carretier” of Belle Etoile and the widow of Jean Roux. With her are her three daughters Jeanne, Marie and Margarite.
3. At the very same event, immediately following Marie on the list, we find Daniel Roux (42), his wife Magdalene Jourdanne (38), the eldest daughter of Pierre Jourdan “Carretier” of Belle Etoile, and their two daughters Jeanne and Marie. Based on the grouping, these two families shared a home by 1685. It appears that Daniel Roux is the brother of the late Jean Roux.
4. At St. Martin de la Brasque, 500 metres from Belle Etoile, we find the abjuration of Jeanne Bret(te), widow of the late Barthèlemy Jourdan, and her two daughters Isabeau and Jeanne between 23 and 27 October 1685.
5. Immediately following that of Jeanne Brette, we find the abjurations of Jeanne Marque, widow of the late Pierre Jourdan “Carretier” and of her youngest sons, Jean and Pierre. Here too, the two families probably all live in the same household. This is no doubt the home in Belle Etoile where the late eldest son of Pierre Senior, Barthèlemy (husband to Jeanne Brette), must have been in command until his death. [Booyens p4-5]
- 'Pierre de Cabrières and Pierre de Belle Etoile' by Harry Booyens
- Harry Booysen's 'God Bless the Good Ship China'
Pierre Jourdan de Cabrières and the other man - How history confused two different men
by Harry Booyens at http://members.shaw.ca /cliffwoodfogge/Pierre.htm:
On 20 March 1688 the Dutch East India Ship China set sail from Goeree for the distant Cape of Good Hope with two men on board who happened to have identical names. Both were Pierre Jourdan; both came not only from Provence, but from the same tiny district of Provence - the Luberon. In fact, they came from two villages within walking distance of each other, namely Cabrières d'Aigues and the hamlet of Belle Etoile some 500 yards outside St. Martin de la Brasque. The two men were wholly unrelated going back at least four generations.
Once at the Cape, Suzanne, daughter of Pierre de Cabrières, married Jean, son of the brother of Pierre Jourdan de Belle Etoile. However, the histories at the Cape managed to confuse the two immigrants and merged their children under the name of only one man. In reality Pierre de Cabrières lived in the very French Drakenstein district and was a strong Protestant churchman. Pierre de Belle Etoile lived in Cape Town, where his daughter married Mochamat Dayan, the son of the Rajah of Tambora and his wife, the daughter of Sheik Yussuf. Mochamat had converted to Christianty soon before and had been baptised David Sultania. …
In this regard. please see the Discussion and the Jourdan Project about the confusion between the two Pierre Jourdaan SV/PROGs, and hence, whose brother the SV/PROG Jean Jourdaan is. I’ve locked down the fields on all of them to keep them safe from accidental mash ups. Everyone just yell if you want to add new info -the idea is to keep safe not prevent other research work. Sharon June 2014 / June 2016
Drakenstein Membership Register, p 111: Pieter Jourdan - Pieter Jourdaan overleden den 28ste Octobr 1723.
The CHINA sailed from Rotterdam on 20 March 1688 and arrived at Table Bay, South Africa on 4 August 1688. In the China two Pierres Jourdan, both bachelors and both aged 24 years, sailed from Holland and arrived at the Cape ... [See attached 'Extract uit brief 23 December 1687 van de Kamer van Rotterdam' from Botha, C Graham: The French Refugees at the Cape, 2nd Ed 1921, p 140 - 141] I want to suggest that Pierre Jourdan, brother of Jean Jourdan, was from Belle Etoile near Saint Martin de la Brasque, as was Jean Jourdan.
This Pierre Jourdan was from Cabrières d'Aigues, which is why he called his farm 'Cabriere'.
[Cf. Old Stellenbosch Freehold Volume 1:391: Jourdaan, Pierre. Cabriere, Oliphants Hoek (6) 22.12.1694]
The other Pierre Jourdan lived in 't Caabse District' and married Johanna Adriana Junius.
[Cf. Monsterrolle and his profile Pierre Jourdan, de Belle Etoile SV/PROG 2] - by Jansi Syfert, 28/10/2012.
Also see: Harry Booysens 'Pierre de Cabrières and Pierre de Belle Etoile' in Familia 2012-3 on http://www.eggsa.org/index.htm
Pierre Jourdan, broer v. Jean Jourdan [VERKEERD] * c. 1663 a. op die Berg China in 1688 † 28.12.1723 x Anna FOUCHÉ xx Marie VERDEAU d.v. Herculé Verdeau
- b1 Anna = 30.12.1698 x Louis FOURIE
- b2 Johanna x 6.2.1718 Adriaan DE NICKER xx 18.8.1737 Joachim Daniel HIEBNER [VERKEERD]
- b3 Pierre = 6.12.1700
- b4 Joseph = 30.10.1701 x 1723 Maria Magdalena LE ROUX = 12.9.1702
- c1 Pieter = 18.3.1725
- c2 Maria = 14.7.1726 x 17.9.1741 Lucas Marthinus MAREE = 12.7.1716
- c3 Daniel = 2.7.1735
- b5 Susanna x 19.3.1724 Jan JORDAAN
- b6 Marie = 23.8.1705 x 1.2.1722 Johannes PRETORIUS xx Kaapstad 3.7.1740 David SULTANIA [VERKEERD]
Pierre Jourdan van Cabrière, Frankryk, broer van Jean het saam met sy broer uitgekom op die skip "Berg China" in 1688. Later eienaar van die plaas Cabrière.
Geslagregisters van vroeë Kaapse familie - Familytree.com (CD)
Maria Verdau, eggenote van Pieter Jourdan was sy tante
sic: Geslagregisters van Vroeë Kaapse families
DIE JOURDAAN - FAMILIE
Pierre Jourdaan (Jourdan) 24 jaar oud, was een van die passasiers op die skip "Berg China" wat Rotterdam op 20 Maart 1688 verlaat het. Op die skip was o.a. ook Pierre se weduwee moeder, Jeanne Martha, sy ouer broer Jean (28jr), sy weduwee suster Marie Rousse (Roux) (40jr), haar kinders Jeanne Rousse (15jr), Marie (10jr) en Marguerite (7jr), asook sy neef Pierre Jourdaan (24jr) en Paul Jourdaan (22jr). [VERKEERD]
Die seereis was baie teenspoedig en het vyf maande geduur vanaf Rotterdam na Tafelbaai, wat eers op 4 Aug 1688 bereik word. Van die manne en vroue wat die reis moedig aangepak het, het net 'n klein aantal die Kaap bereik, daar was 20 sterfgevalle. Onder hulle was Pierre Jourdaan se moeder, Jeanne, sy suster Marie, haar oudste dogter Jean Rousse en Paul Jourdaan.
n Seereis van byna 300 jaar gelede was nie alleen baie ongerieflik en uitputtend nie, maar ook baie gevaarlik. Die tekort aan vars kos en groente en min vars water het skeurbuik veroorsaak. Water moes uiters spaarsaam gebruik word en die gesoute vark en ander vleis was in seewater gekook en geeet. By hulle aankoms in die Kaap was meeste van die vlugtelinge sonder enige besitting. Hulle is per wa na Drakenstein vervoer, voorsien van kos vir 'n paar maande en planke vir tydelike onderdak. Plase is uitgedeel en op 22 Desember 1694 word Cabriere in Olifantshoel, teen Franschhoek aan Pierre Jourdaan toegeken. Die oorspronklike plaas is tans onderverdeel en Mnr Koos Hugo is die eienaar van die oorblywende gedeelte. Jean, Pierre se ouer broer, gaan woon op la Motte (dit beteken hoogte of heuwel)
Pierre Jourdaan is getroud met Anna Fouche. Anna was die oudste dogter (gebore 1682) van die vlugtelinge Philippe Fouche. Sy het in 1688 (6jr oud) saam met haar ouers op die skip "Voorschoten" in Tafelbaai aangekom. Na haar dood in 1713 is Pierre Jourdaan hertroud met 'n dogter, Maria Verdeau 38 jaar jonger as hyself. Pierre Jourdaan, diaken in die Drakenstein gemeente, gestig 1691, het by sy eerste vrou 6 kinders gehad
- 1. Anna (gedoop Drakenstein 30 Desember 1698)
- 2. Johanna [VERKEERD]
- 3. Pierre (gedoop Drakenstein 6 Desember 1699)
- 4. Joseph (gedoop 30 Oktober 1701 te Drakenstein, hy erf Cabriere na sy vader se dood op 28 Oktober 1723
- 5. Susanna gedoop 1703, trou met haar neef Jan Jourdaan, seun van Hugenoot Jean Jourdaan.
- 6. Marie (gedoop 1705, getroud met Dirk Pretorius en hertroud met D. Sultania) [VERKEERD]
Die doopinskrywings is in Frans gemaak deur Paul Roux.
Pierre Jourdan, de Cabrières SV/PROG 3's Timeline
Cabrières d’Aigues, Provence, France
December 30, 1698
Drakenstein, Cape, South Africa
Paarl, Cape, South Africa
Drakenstein, Cape, So Afr
October 28, 1723