Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre
|Also Known As:||"Rachel Leila Douglas-Home 27th Baroness of Dacre"|
Daughter of Thomas Henry Brand, 4th Vicount Hampden of Glynde and Leila Emily Brand
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
Historical records matching Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre
About Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre
Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre (née Brand, 24 October 1929 – 25 December 2012) was an English peeress, daughter of Thomas Brand, 4th Viscount Hampden & 26th Baron Dacre by his wife Leila Emily Seely, a granddaughter of Sir Charles Seely, 1st Baronet, and a great-great granddaughter of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford.
Lady Dacre was a great-granddaughter of William Montagu Douglas Scott, 6th Duke of Buccleuch and through him a direct descendant of Charles II of England.
The ancient English barony, created by writ of summons, fell into abeyance between her and her younger surviving sister (The Hon Mrs Ogilvie Thompson) upon her father's death in 1965 and was called out of abeyance in 1970 in favour of The Hon Mrs Douglas-Home, whilst the Hampden viscountcy passed to her uncle.
She married on 26 July 1951 The Hon William Douglas-Home, 3rd son of the 13th Earl of Home, and a younger brother of the 14th Earl of Home, better known as Sir Alec Douglas-Home, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Lady Dacre and her husband (who d. 1992) lived in Hampshire had four children, all of whom and their descendants are in remainder to the Dacre barony:
- The Hon James Thomas Archibald Douglas-Home (16 May 1952-8 May 2014), 28th Baron Dacre, who married in 1979 Christine Stephenson. On his death their only child, Emily (b. 7 Feb 1983), became 29th Baroness Dacre.
- The Hon Sarah Douglas-Home (b. 4 July 1954), married in 1977 Nicholas Dent and has issue.
- The Hon Gian Leila Douglas-Home (b. 23 June 1958).
- The Hon Dinah Lilian Douglas-Home (b. 22 Jan 1964), married in 1989 Harry Marriott and has issue.
In 1970, the abeyance of her father's barony of Dacre was terminated in her favour.
- The Peerage database
- Rachel Leila Brand, Baroness Dacre1
- F, #37155, b. 24 October 1929, d. 25 December 2012
- Last Edited=9 Jun 2013
- Rachel Leila Brand, Baroness Dacre was born on 24 October 1929.1 She was the daughter of Thomas Henry Brand, 4th Viscount Hampden of Glynde and Leila Emily Seely.1 She married Hon. William Douglas-Home, son of Charles Cospatrick Archibald Douglas-Home, 13th Earl of Home and Lady Lillian Lambton, on 26 July 1951.2 She died on 25 December 2012 at age 83.3
- Her married name became Douglas-Home. She succeeded to the title of 27th Baroness Dacre [E., 1321] in 1970, suo jure, when the abeyance of the barony was terminated in her favour.1
- Children of Rachel Leila Brand, Baroness Dacre and Hon. William Douglas-Home
- 1.James Thomas Archibald Douglas-Home, 28th Baron Dacre+1 b. 16 May 1952, d. c 14 May 2014
- 2.Hon. Sarah Douglas-Home+1 b. 4 Jul 1954
- 3.Hon. Gian Leila Douglas-Home1 b. 23 Jun 1958
- 4.Hon. Dinah Lilian Douglas-Home+1 b. 22 Jan 1964
- 1.[S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 1013. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 2.[S37] BP2003. [S37]
- 3.[S1122] Peerage News, online http://peeragenews.blogspot.co.nz/. Hereinafter cited as Peerage News.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p3716.htm#i37155
Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre's Timeline
October 24, 1929
May 16, 1952