Historical records matching Ralph Eure, 3rd Baron Eure
view all 15
About Ralph Eure, 3rd Baron Eure
- Ralph Eure, 3rd Lord Eure1
- M, #105351, b. 24 September 1558, d. 1 April 1617
- Last Edited=8 Jan 2008
- Ralph Eure, 3rd Lord Eure was born on 24 September 1558.3 He was the son of William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure.2 He married Elizabeth Spencer, daughter of Sir John Spencer and Katherine Kitson, after March 1612.4,1 He died on 1 April 1617 at age 58.1 He was buried at Ludlow, Shropshire, England.1
- He gained the title of 3rd Lord Eure.1
- Child of Ralph Eure, 3rd Lord Eure
- 1.William Eure, 4th Lord Eure+2 b. c 1579, d. c Jun 1646
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume VI, page 630. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume V, page 181.
- 3.[S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume V, page 181. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- 4.[S9] Charles Kidd and David Williamson, editor, DeBretts Peerage and Baronetage (London, U.K.: DeBrett's Peerage, 1999), volume 2, page 1870. Hereinafter cited as DeBretts Peerage, 1999.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10536.htm#i105351
- Ralph [Eure], 3rd Baron Eure
- born 24 Sep 1558
- mar. (1) in or bef. 1578 Mary Dawnay (d. 16 Mar 1612), 1st dau. of Sir John Dawnay, of Sessay, co. York, by his first wife Elizabeth Tunstall, dau. of Sir Marmaduke Tunstall, of Thurland Castle, co. Lancaster
- only child
- 1. Hon William Eure, later 4th Baron Eure
- mar. (2) after Mar 1612 Elizabeth Carey (widow of George [Carey], 2nd Baron Hunsdon; bur. 2 Mar 1617/8), 2nd dau. of Sir John Spencer, of Althorp, co. Northampton, by his wife Katherine Kitson, dau. of Sir Thomas Kitson, of Hengrave, co. Suffolk
- died 1 Apr 1617
- suc. by son by first wife
- note Member of Parliament for Yorkshire 1584-86; Warden of the Middle Marches 1586; Sheriff of Yorkshire 1593-94; Lord President of the Council of Wales 1607-17
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/
- Ralph EURE (3° B. Eure of Witton)
- Born: 24 Sep 1558, Berwick Castle, Berwick, England
- Died: 1 Apr 1617, Ludlow, York, England
- Buried: 26 Sep 1558, Parish Church, Berwick, England
- Notes: constituted in 1608, the king's lieutenant within the principality of Wales.
- Father: William EURE (2° B. Eure of Witton)
- Mother: Margaret DYMOKE (B. Eure of Witton)
- Married 1: Mary DAWNAY
- 1. William EURE (4° B. Eure of Witton)
- Married 2: Elizabeth SPENCER (B. Hundson /B. Eure of Witton) AFT Mar 1612
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/EURE.htm#Ralph EURE (3° B. Eure of Witton)
- Visitations of the North by Surtees Society, Durham, Eng
- THE PEDEGEE OF THE RIGHT HONORABLE WYLLIAM, LORD EVRE OF WYTTON NORTHUMBERLAND.
- WYLLIAM, fyrst Lord Evre, maryed the daughter to the Lord Wylloughby, and by her had yssu Raffe, sone and heyr; Henry, ijnd sone of ... Meryell, fyrst maryed to Syr George Bowes, and after to William Wyclyff; Anne, maryed to Anthony Thorpe, of Conysthorpe ; Margery, maryed to William Bukton, of Benyngham.
- SIR RAFF EURE, son and heyre to William, Lord Eure, which dyed before hys father, maryed Margery, dowghter to Syr Raff Bowes, and by her had yssu Wylliam, son and heyre; Raff, ijnd sone; Thomas, iijrd sone; Frances, wedyd to Lampton of Lampton; Anne.
- WYLLIAM, iijrd Lord Evre, and son and heyre to Sir Raff, maryed Ane, dowghter to Syr Edward Dymmoke, of Skrylysby, and by her had yssu.
- The will of Sir Ralph Eure, father of William, first Lord Eure, dated 6 May, 1533, and proved 18 Dec., 1551, is printed in Test. Ebor., part vi. p. 183; that of William, first Lord Eure, dated 25 Feb., 1548-9, ibid., p. 185; and that of William, second Lord Eure, dated 22 Dec., 1592, and proved 5 July, 1599, in Durham Wills, part iii. p. 155. For further particulars see the notes to those wills and see also Dalton's visitation post. The shield for arms is left blank in the manuscript.
- WILLIAM LORD EURE NOWE CAPTEYGNE OF THE TOWNE AND CASTLE OF BERWYCKE.
- Loke for his Awncesters in the partchement boke.
- [This note is in Flower's handwriting.]
- SIR RAUFE EURE slayne on palmesondaye ffyelde [at Towton A. primo E. 4 (1461] weddyd [Elianor, doughter to the baron of Greystocke] and hadde issue Sir William Eure; John Eure of Malton ; and Hughe, a pryst; [Elizabeth, wife to John Ellercar; Johan sine prole; Raufe sine prole; Margaret, a nun at Watton ; Henrye and Johan twyndles and dyed ; Robert, knight of the Rodes* ; Mawde ; Anne sine prole; and another sine prole.†]
- SIR WYLLIAM EURE, knight, weddyd Mergarett, doughtre to olde Sir Roberte Cunstable of Flaumborowghe, and hadde issue Sir Rauphe; Sir Roberte Eure of Bradley; and Wylliam, a pryst ; Anne sine exitu; Margarett, a nune; and Agnes, dyed yonge; Anne; Elizabeth sine prole; and Marye.
- Aftre the seid Sir William weddyd to his ijde wyefe, Cunstannce, doughtre to [blank] and late wyefe to Sir Henrye Percye of Banborowghe, base sonne to [blank], and by her hadde issue Henrye Eure, John and Ewstace.
- SIR RAUPHE EURE wedydd fyrst Meryell, doughtre to Sir Hughe Hastinge of Fenwycke beside Hatfyld in Yorkeshere, and had issue Sir William, the fyrst lord ; John and Hughe, bothe ij which dyed yonge.
- Aftre the seid Sir Rauphe weddyd Agnes, yet lyvinge, late ijde wyefe to Sir Rauphe Bygod, daughtre to [blank] Constable of Dromondbye, beside Stokesley in Cleveland in Yorkeshere and had issue Francesse and Jane, twyndles, which Francesse was wiefe to Sir George Coygnyers of Sokburne, and she dyed withowt issue, and Jane fyrste she was wiefe to Sir Henrye Pudsey of Bardforde, and aftre she was wedyd to Thomas Wylliamson, feodarye of the Northe Rydinge in Yorkeshere, and Margerye Eure, iijd doughtre to Sir Rauphe wedyd to Sir Ffrauncys Salven, knight.‡
- * 16 Harl. Soc. has "knight of the order of St. John."
- † These words in brackets are interlined in Flower's handwriting.
- ‡ 16 Harl. Soc. puts after the name of Sir Francis Salvin the words "captain of the towne, etc." which should come in the next line after the name of William, Lord Eure, as in the text of the Dalton MS. Foster in his Visitation of Yorkshire, p. 613, following 16 Harl. Soc. makes the same mistake.
- WILLIAM THE LORDE EURE, capteyne of the towne and castle of Berwyck and warden of thest marches, weddyd Elizabeth, sustre to William, Lord Wyllowghbye, father to the Dutchesse of Suffolke, doughtre to Sir Christopofer, and had issue Sir Rauphe; John sine prole§ ; and Henrye; Margerye; Meryell and Anne; which Margerye wedyd William Bukton of Bennyngham in Holdrenes; Meryell was fyrst the wyefe to Sir George Bowes and aftre to William Wyclyffe of Wyclyffe ; and Anne was wiefe to Anthonye Thorpe of Coonnysthorpe in Yorkeshere.
- SIR RAUPHE EURE, knight, son and heyre to the Lorde William Eure, wedyd Margerye, doughtre to Sir Rauphe Bowes, knight, the yonger, and had issue William, nowe Lorde; Rauphe and Thomas; Franncesse, wiefe to Robert Lampton of Lampton in the busshopryke; and Anne Eure, wyef to Launcelott Myrefyld of Yorkeshere, which Sir Rauphe was slayne in his father's lyefe and so was neuer lorde, but was lord Warden of myddle marches agenste Scotland and was slayne by therle of Arrayne, nowe duke of Chattelheraulde, then gouvernour there at a place called Panyell Hewghe besyde Mewres in West Tyvedalle A° H. 8.
- WILLIAM the ijde Lord Eure and nowe Capteyne of the towne and castle of Berwycke [A° 6 Marie] || weddyd Margaret, doughtre to Sir Edward Dymmocke of Skyrlysbye in the countie of Lyncolne, knyght, and hath issue Anne, Meryell, and Rauphe, borne in Berwycke castle the xxiiijthe daye of Septembre [1558 A° 5 et 6 Phi. et Mar.]|| beinge Settredaye at viij of the clocke in the mornynge and chrystenyd in the paryshe churche there on Monday nexte by Mr. Christopofer Nevyll, deputye for his brother Henrye, Erie of Westmorland, then lord lyuetenante of the North parties, and Thomas, Erle of Northumberland in person.
- HENRYE EURE of Bushops Mydleham, Esquyre, son to Wylliam, Lord Eure, weddyd Elyanor, doughtre to John Hebburne of Hardwycke in the busshoprycke, late wyefe to William Halle of Busshops Myddleham in the Busshoprycke and hadd ij doughters.
- HENRYE EURE of [blank] gentleman, son to olde Sir William Eures, knight, by his ijde wyefe Cunstance, weddyd Anne, doughtre and one of the heyres of William Borowghe of Borowghe beside Catryck brydge in Yorkeshere and had no issue by her but Anne who dyed yonge, and so thole
- § 16 Harl. Soc. omits "John sine prole."
- || Interlined in Flower's handwriting.
- borowghes lands comyd to Sir Thomas Tempest of Holmeshead, knight, in the busshopryck which had wedyd thother sustre and hey re.
- Foster's elaborate pedigree of Eure in Visitations of Yorkshire, pp. 607-617 gives full particulars of these generations. This pedigree by Dalton is useful as giving the original contemporary information. It has evidently been copied in 16 Harl. Soc. with some errors which Foster has followed. William, second Lord Eure, was appointed Captain of Berwick by patent dated shortly prior to 4th Jan., 1558-9, Cal. State Papers Foreign, 1558-9, p. 72. The divorce proceedings between Mary, daughter of George, Lord Darcy, and William, second Lord Eure, mentioned in Foster's pedigree are printed in Surtees Society publ., vol. xxii. p. 54. The following are references to Eure wills which have been printed or abstracted. The notes of the editors of the wills give much additional information.
- Matilda Eure, mother of Sir Ralph Eure, who was slain at Towton, dated 12 Sept., 1464-5, proved 30 May, 1467, Durham Wills, part ii. p. 284.
- Thomas Eure, brother of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 20 Feb., 1474-5, proved 24 Feb., 1474-5, Test. Ebor., part iii. p. 214.
- Henry Eure, brother of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 17 Oct., 1476, proved 5 Dec., 1477, ibid., part iii. p. 222
- John Eure, son of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 19 Mar., 1492-3, proved 11 June, 1493, ibid., part iv. p. 83.
- Ralph Eure, son of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 4 June, 1483, proved 1 June, 1484, ibid., part iv. p. 83.
- Hugh Eure, son of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 7 Mar., 1522-3, proved 16 April, 1523, ibid., part iv. p. 83.
- Sir Ralph Eure, who married Muriel Hastings, dated 6 May, 1533, proved 18 Dec., 1551, ibid., part vi. p. 183.
- Sir William Eure, first Lord Eure, dated 25 Feb., 1548-9, proved 1548-9, ibid., part vi. p. 185.
- William Eure, second Lord Eure, dated 22 Dec., 1592, proved 5 July, 1599, Durham Wills, part iii. p. 155.
Ralph Eure, 3rd Baron Eure's Timeline
September 24, 1558
Berwick Castle, Northamptonshire, England, England
September 26, 1558
Parish Church, Berwick, Northamptonshire, England
Of, Wilton, Durham, England
April 1, 1617
Ludlow, York, England
Ludlow, , England