Son of William Murray, 2nd Earl of Tullibardine and Euphame Littlejohn
|Occupation:||Minister of Trinity Gask|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Rev. John Murray, M.A., St. Andrews
About Rev. John Murray, M.A., St. Andrews
(99) William, second Earl of Tullibardine, born 1574; died before 30th January 1628. The King having agreed to confer the Earldom of Atholl on his issue by his second wife, he, on 1st April 1626, resigned his Earldom of Tullibardine to his brother Patrick (No. 124 below). He married, first, contract dated 30th October 1599, Cecilia, daughter of Sir John Wemyss of that Ilk, who died s.p. He married, second, September 1604, Dorothy Stewart, daughter and heiress of John, Earl of Atholl, and had:
- 99(a) John (No. 100 below).
He had also a natural son:
- 99(b) Rev. John Murray, M.A., St. Andrews, 1611, appointed to Kinkell 1637, and to Trinity-Gask 1639. Died December 1662, aged about seventy - one. He married Catharine Colvill, and had issue:
- 99(b)(1) John Murray.
- 99(b)(2) Mungo Murray.
- 99(b)(3) James Murray.
ARMS in Font's MS., c. 1624. 1 and 4. Azure, three mullets argent within a double tressure flory-counter-flory or (Murray). 2 and 3. Or, two chevrons gules (Strathearn). Crest : A mermaid holding a mirror in the dexter hand and a comb in the sinister hand. Supporters : Two lions gules, collared or, charged with three mullets azure. MOTTO: " Tout Prest." [Plate III., fig. 10.]
- Natural son of William, Earl of Tullibardine; legitimated 1634.
- BIRTH: Date Calculated> Age about 71 years, 1662 (death year).
- EDUCATION: St. Andrews University; Master of Arts, 1611.
- CHURCH: Admitted minister of Kinkell, 1637.
- CHURCH: Removed and admitted, 1639.
- CHURCH: Minister of Trinity-Gask and Kinkell, 1639
§ Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ: the Succession of Ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation (1915-), Scott, Hew, (9 volumes. Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd, 1915-), FHL book 941 D3s; FHL microfiche 6026402., vol. 4 p. 287.