Rev Samuel Hensel Giesy, D.D.

Is your surname Giesy?

Research the Giesy family

Rev Samuel Hensel Giesy, D.D.'s Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Rev Samuel Hensel Giesy, D.D.

Birthdate:
Birthplace: Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio, USA
Death: May 27, 1888 (61)
Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, USA
Place of Burial: Oak Hill Cemetery, Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of John Ulrich Giesy, Jr and Mary Magdalena Giesy
Brother of Jacob Hensel Giesy, (USA); Brev. Brig. Gen. Henry Hensel Giesy, (USA) and Daniel Giesy

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Rev Samuel Hensel Giesy, D.D.

Franklin and Marshall College Obituary Record, by the Committee, Volume I, No. 1, published by the Alumni Association of Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, June 1897. Rev. Samuel Hensel Giesy, A.M., D.D., the third son of John Ulric and Mary Magdalene (Hensel) Giesy, was born at Lancaster, Ohio, August 26, 1826. He prepared for college at Howe’s Academy, Lancaster, Ohio. In March 1841, he entered the Preparatory Department at Mercersburg, Pennsylvania and the Freshman class of Marshall College the following October. While in college he was a member of the Goethean Literary Society.

After graduation, September 10, 1845, he entered the Theological Seminary at the same place, while Rev. John W. Nevin, D.D., was the head of the faculty. His diary contains this reference to Dr. Nevin, to whose instruction he is glad to make this acknowledgment of indebtedness for whatever in the way of historical and positive Christological theology that has marked and ruled his ministry. In the spring of 1848 he graduated from the Theological Seminary and was examined and licensed to preach by the Lancaster (Ohio) Classis of the German Reformed Church. In the same year he received the degree of A.M. From Alma Mater. In the fall of 1848 he accepted a call to St. James’ congregation, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania and was ordained a minister of the Gospel according to the rite of the Reformed Church, February 7, 1849. He remained seven years in this first field of labor and while there organized three new congregations and built three new churches, namely: the Second Reformed Church, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, organized September 30, 1849; Trinity Reformed Church, Salem, Pennsylvania, organized November 25, 1850 and the Irwin Reformed Church, Irwin, Pennsylvania, organized January 1, 1853. On August 12, 1855, he became pastor of the Salem Reformed Church, Hagerstown, Maryland. In November 1860, he accepted a call to Christ Reformed Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He labored here for ten years, completed a costly church building and gathered a large congregation. In 1869 the degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by Franklin and Marshall College.

In October 1870, he resigned the pastorate of Christ Reformed Church and went to Baltimore, Maryland, for rest and recuperation of health. On December 13, 1871, he applied for holy orders in the Protestant Episcopal Church. The reason for this change was, as expressed in his own words in his diary: Free from all responsible charge, the opportunity was at hand of acting upon a change of church views which had been growing and deepening for several years. He was made a deacon in the Protestant Episcopal Church, June 16, 1872 and advanced to the priesthood, March 9, 1873.

From the time he entered the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal Church until June 7, 1874, he was assistant minister at Grace Church, Baltimore. On the latter date he entered upon the rectorshiip of Christ Church, Norwich, Connecticut. At the time he was called to Christ Church he also received calls to Grace Church, Watertown, New York, Trinity Church, Easton, Pennsylvania and The Church of the Incarnation, Washington, D.C. In the autumn of 1877, he was solicited by the bishop of Louisiana to become rector of Christ Church, New Orleans. On the fourth of April 1881, he received a call to Christ Church, Detroit, Michigan. This was declined because of his desire to see completed St. Andrew’s Chapel, Greenville, Connecticut, which had been a mission of Christ Church for twenty-five years. This chapel was completed and consecrated in July 1882. From July 1879 to July 1883, he was archdeacon of the Eastern Archdeaconry of the Diocese of Connecticut. While archdeacon he brought about the building of the Episcopal church at Willimantic, Connecticut. He was a delegate to the General Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church held in Philadelphia in 1883. On May 14, 1884, he received a call to St. Peter’s Parish, Easton, Maryland. On March 19, 1885, he was called to the Church of the Epiphany, Washington, D.C., with the exception of Trinity Church, New York, the largest Protestant Episcopal parish in the United States and took charge on the feast of Saint Philip and Saint James, May 1, 1885.

Dr. Giesy’s published works are the following: The Crowning Event the Fall of Richmond, 1865; The Satanic Background of Redemption, Mercersburg Review, 1867; Normal Humanity or Man in the Light of the Divine Idea: an address before the Alumni Association of Franklin and Marshall College, 1867; An Inquiry into the Validity of Lay Baptism, Mercersburg Review, 1868; Organic Redemption, three articles, Mercersburg Review, 1870-1871; Claim of the Colored Population of the South upon the Church’s Care, 1874; Divine Human Elements in Church and Ministry, ordination sermon Berkeley Divinity School, 1875; Christ in the World’s Life, 1875; The Blessed Hope, 1882; The Personal Sense of the Allegory of the Vine, 1883; The I Ams of Christ: A Contribution to Christological Thought, New York, 1884; Life in Harness, the baccalaureate sermon before the University of Pennsylvania, 1887.

Dr. Giesy married July 3, 1851, Anna Bella Smith, at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Two daughters were born of this union, Mary Emma and Anna Lizzie, both now deceased. His first wife died January 29, 1855. On November 29, 1859, he married Sarah Lydia Spear, of Baltimore and of this marriage two sons were born, Otis Spear, now deceased and Samuel Herbert (Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, 1885 and Columbian University Law School, Washington, D.C., 1887).

Dr. Giesy died, while rector of the Church of the Epiphany, on Trinity Sunday, May 27, 1888, in Washington, D.C. and is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, near that city. [Parish Guide, Church of the Epiphany, July 1888, 12: 147-160 (Memorial number); Samuel Herbert Giesy Esq.]* Reference: Find A Grave Memorial - SmartCopy: Aug 12 2021, 3:49:49 UTC

view all

Rev Samuel Hensel Giesy, D.D.'s Timeline

1826
August 26, 1826
Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio, USA
1888
May 27, 1888
Age 61
Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, USA
????
Oak Hill Cemetery, Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, USA