|Birthplace:||Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire, USA|
|Death:||Died in Rockingham, New Hampshire|
|Managed by:||Erica "the Disconnectrix" Howton|
Matching family tree profiles for Reverend Peter Coffin
About Reverend Peter Coffin
Reverend Peter Coffin was born on 9 Dec 1713, Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire and died Dec 1777 in Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Parents: 3rd child of Elphalet (Eliphalet) Coffin (1690-1736) and Judith Coffin. (1686-1749) [fn1][fn4]
- in 1740 to Dorothy Gookin (1722-1749). She was the daughter of Rev. Nathaniel Gookin and Dorothy Cotton. [fn5]
- on 7 July 1759 to Elizabeth Taylor (1712-1793). She was the daughter of John Taylor (1674-1719) and Ann Winslow (1678-1773); and the widow of Nathaniel Green(e). [fn2][fn3]
5 children of Peter Coffin and Dorothy Gookin include
- Peter Coffin+ b. 1741
- Eliphalet Coffin+ b. 1743
- Dorothy Coffin b. 1745
- Judith Coffin b. 1747
- Nathaniel Coffin b. 1749
- Minister at East Kingston, NH, 1739-1772.
- "These were the descendants of the Newbury branch of Tristram Coffin's family."
- Macy, Silvanus Jenkins; Nathaniel W. (Nathaniel Wheeler) Coffin; and William S. (William Sumner) Appleton. Genealogy of the early generations of the Coffin family in New England. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977) 11.
- Marshfield, Mass. Vital Records, in Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants Mayflower Descendant, 7:121
- Greene-Taylor Record, in Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants Mayflower Descendant, 32:147.
- Rev. Peter Coffin, s/o Elphalet Coffin and Judith (Coffin) Noyes, b. Exter 9 Dec 1713, d. Exeter Dec 1777, m. (1) 20 Jan 1740 Dorothy Gookin, m. (2) 19 Jul 1749 [sic, should be 1759, though marked with a question mark] Elizabeth Green. (Macy, p. 11)
- Elizabeth the Daughter of John Taylor and Ann his wife was borne a[t] Jemico November the 8 : 1712. [per MD, p. 21:121, this entry probably made after they returned from Jamaica, i.e., aft. 1720.] (Mayflower 7:121)
- [From family record in Bible of Nathaniel Greene of Boston, Mass.] Nath'll Green was born in Boston May : 1709 Elizabeth Tayler was born in Jamaica Nov'r 8 : 1712 and they where Married at Boston by the Rev'd Joseph Sewell Pres'r June 27 : 1729 Nath'll Greene Died in Surrinam Jan'y 15. 1739 N S or Jan'y 4: 1738 O S aged 28 Yeres and 8 Months Eliz'a Green was Marrid to the Rev'd Peter Coffin of Kingston New Hamshire July : 7 : 1759 The Rev'd Peter Coffin died Dec'r 13: 1777 aged 64. Mrs Elizabeth Coffin died June 5 : 1793 aged 80 Years and 7 Months. (Mayflower, 32:147.)
- It appears that Judith Coffin was the daughter of James Coffin (b. 1659) and Florence Hooke, and married 3 times: 1. Nicholas Gilman 2. Parker Noyes 3. Eliphalet Coffin (5 children). (NHA, person page 523).
- [S83] NEHGR, Vol. 1 p. 328.
I would like to know where Rev. Peter Coffin, 1713-1777 fits into the Tristram Coffin lineage. He married Dorothy Gookin, 1722-1749, a descendant of Anne Marbury Hutchinson (1591-1643). Dorothy & Peter's son was Major Peter Coffin, 1741-1802. He married Lucretia Flagg, their son Peter, 1768-1840, married Anne Martin. Their daughter Lucretia Flagg Coffin m. Rev. Samuel Joseph May. I don't know where any of them lived. I have not been able to find Rev. Peter's place in the family tree.